People who are not humgry

Options
2»

Replies

• jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    not me!! I'd eat the crotch off a low flying duck. I struggle through, always have. 1200 is an appetizer for me :cry:
    Me too! I eat like a horse because I burn so many calories. If I don't then I find myself binging like my body is trying to catch up on calories. Plus my weight loss will stall.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If you are already insulin resistant, here's an article on why eating 6 small meals a day may not be the best way to manage your hunger response:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5722758/how_many_times_a_day_should_i_eat_to.html

The problem is, that if your 6 meals have a relatively large carbohydrate component, instead of keeping your insulin levels steady, eating 6 times a day will cause a spike in glucose then in insulin levels after which you'll have a drop in blood glucose levels, which causes the hunger response. The way to balance this would be to reduce carbs in those 6 meals, or at least some of them to reduce the need for insulin production (see the recommendations for "snacks" in the article I link to: those are mostly pure protein). So, if you eat 3 larger meals a day, first of all, protein, carbohydrates and fats will be better balanced within those meals. secondly, now you have three instances of hunger response to contend with, instead of 6, during your day.

http://www.spinalhealth.net/insulin.html

Caffeine is actually a hunger suppressant.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    not me!! I'd eat the crotch off a low flying duck.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have never heard that expression before! I LOVE it!

But um, yeah. Most days I'm hungry all the time. Once in a while I can barely eat anything, but that's like once a month. I don't understand when people say they can't eat all of their 1200. And then some of those same people work out like crazy, burning a ridiculous amount of calories, and I just can't understand how they're still alive.
  • pannet
    pannet Posts: 27
    Options
    Totally my sentiments! Always wondering about folks who just can't eat those calories...not hungry, etc etc. I suppose if your cal goal is 2000, maybe it would be difficult to eat them all, but at 1200-1500, I eat them all, and could eat much more. I also eat most of exercise cals. I always wonder, if you can never eat your cals, how did you become overweight in the first place? Maybe just bad food choices?

Right now I'm about 300 calories under my 1200 goal...not hungry! Up until I was 48 yrs old I weighed 110 lbs, then menopause kicked in with a vengence and by 50 I weighed 130, by 56 I weighed 150 and by 63 I weighed 190 even with all the walking I did. It wasn't enough. Now I'm down to 175 and striving diligently not to eat because I'm sad, depressed, stressed, bored or any other reason I can come up with! But what's ironic is that at 110 lbs in the first half of my life I could eat anything I wanted and it was those eating habits (not "bad" habits - just too much food) that pushed my weight up and up as I moved into the 2nd half.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    In my case, it's sugar and starch that drive hunger - or rather, appetite. At the beginning of my diet I practically shoveled in non-starchy veggies (9 or 10 standard sized servings a day), and ate fairly normal portions of meat, cheese, and other low carb foods. It felt like I was eating a lot, and it certainly looked like a lot on the plate, but when I ran the numbers, I realized that I rarely exceeded the 800- 900 range on calories. I actually had to add some higher carb foods back to the menu to bump the calories up to 1200, which was just about the LAST thing I'd expected to have to do.

So long as I'm careful, it works out. A serving of steel cut oatmeal with breakfast feels good on my stomach and tweaks up my appetite for lunch without making me ravenous. Ditto for a tbsp of natural peanut butter on a slice of whole grain bread. A sweet potato at lunch time doesn't cause any problems either, so long as I eat it with protein, but a regular baked potato with dinner triggers an overwhelming urge to hit the Krispy Kreme shop. Some fruits make me hungry too, most notably bananas. I'm finding I can eat most of them, though.
  • Ashtarot
    Ashtarot Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 4 to 6 cokes a day. Didn't eat breakfast but maybe twice a week and most times no lunch ether. It's a big change for me to eat all this healthier for me food. I am constantly looking to eat more after dinner because I am under what MFP says I should have.How did I get this big then? By eating every thing in sight when I was pregnant and nursing with the last two kids.
    I am sure that after I get used to eating better things will change for me.
  • goldenbutterfly
    Options
    I wish I could split it with you!! For some reason, on days I work out, I don't want to eat a bite!! Then on rest day (no exercise) I am starving and eat all day! I hear this is opposite of MANY people, for most it is the more you move the more you want to eat.

This may have something to do with my past and struggles with eating disorders, maybe not!

I do want to let you know that as much trouble as you get from eating too much, I share the trouble in eating too little. If I go for a week eating only 700 cals a day, I gain weight, just like someone who eats 2,500+ a day. My body starts to panic and keeps every bit of food I put in, thinking that I'm starving :(

We're all trying, and getting to our calorie goal really is helping us!! Me, at least, I hope it helps you too!

Oh wow great to find someone who has the same problem as me, i too struggled with an eating disorder in the past, i find i cant eat my calories for the day but though i dont eat much i am over weight by at least a couple of stone, i find it hard to loose weight sometimes when i exercise i dont loose anything till ive had a break from exercising for a couple of weeks. im hopeing this time will be diffrent . ive had my throid tested and its fine. so im thinking you have the right idea wonder if it can be changed? so that my body doesnt think its starving all the time and stops holding everything i eat.