Not losing?!?

Options
I started MFP the beginning of Jan. because my husband is loving it and have great results. I am not losing and I don't know why. I have been within my calories intake and exercise goals each day/ week; but have only lost 1.2 pounds in 4 weeks. I don't ususally eat my exercise calories and I don't always drink 8 glasses of water--is that the problem? Also, we usually have a glass of wine or cocktail each evening--always within our calorie count--but is that the problem? (But he is still losing) HELP!

Replies

• carrie340
    Options
    I've decided to try and avoid alcohol all together as I've heard it can slow down your weight loss, and try and drink those 8 glasses of water too!
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    Would you mind sharing your diary? It helps people to get a better peak at potential problem areas when you have a question like this.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes.

For your exercise cals- you need to eat at least some of them or your body will start to believe you are starving. There is a number on your home page called NET. Try keeping this between 1200-1400 for a couple weeks (NO LOWER than 1200- at all) and see if it makes a difference.

Water helps 'move things along' in your system which is part of why its so good for dieting and keeping 'regular'. Try herbal teas or crystal light if you have a hard time getting all your h2o in.

Good luck.
  • staceybyerly
    Options
    What intensity are you doing your exercises? Add some weight training too to build some lean muscle mass. Also, alcohol and losing weight usually don't go hand and hand, so try to drink only on weekends or special occasions. Water consumption will fill you up some w/0 calories:-) Keep at it...it will come off!
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I like myself a bit of alcohol to take the edge off of my day but I noticed my weight loss slowed down when I would have a drink. So I haven't had a drink since Jan 1 and my weight loss has sped up. One might not have anything to do w/ the other but that's when I noticed the weight loss really started...
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    water water water.
    I'm awful about water and I can tell when I do drink it because suddenly the next day, the scale has dropped.. by quite a bit.
    and pay attention to your sodium.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of wine a couple of times a week (not every day), and it has not interfere with my weight loss. I am now on maintenance, but I admit that I didn't have much to loose to start with.

We are all different, so maybe your body takes a little longer to react to your new eating habits. Don't get discourage as long as you eat healthy, and exercise your body will eventually get the message.
  • angelaj1411
    Options
    You do have to make sure to eat your full calories. Even with the exercise. For example, my calorie goal is 1200 per day. I exercise and burn about 300 calories per day. Therefore, I have to make sure to eat at least 1500 calories. When you don't take in enough calories, your body's metabolism will slow down resulting in slow weight loss.
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that men lose weight faster and a wee bit easier than women.

http://www.fitnesstipsforlife.com/men-lose-weight-faster-than-women.html
  • DebraMercer
    Options
    I have been drinking all the water i am supposed to as well as exercise and eating the calories and all of a sudden my weight loss has stopped. I have lost 12 lbs in 3.5 weeks but i was losing a bunch fast must just be water. not sure but can't figure out what I am doing wrong either.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    water is very important and enough fiber......I quit going regular when I started dieting - so I added a fiber one bar to my breakfast and things are much better. ALSO, mix up your exercises, don't do the same thing every time --- maybe a video one day, go for a walk or treadmill the next day and so on --- it burns better for some reason. My friend has done a ton of different dieting and she didn't lose for a while I think until her body adjusted to her eating correctly, now she's losing weight. Save alcohol for special occasions, it breaks down to sugar and slows weight loss - in most any way. Keep up with everything and it will work :)
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    water is very important and enough fiber......I quit going regular when I started dieting - so I added a fiber one bar to my breakfast and things are much better. ALSO, mix up your exercises, don't do the same thing every time --- maybe a video one day, go for a walk or treadmill the next day and so on --- it burns better for some reason. My friend has done a ton of different dieting and she didn't lose for a while I think until her body adjusted to her eating correctly, now she's losing weight. Save alcohol for special occasions, it breaks down to sugar and slows weight loss - in most any way. Keep up with everything and it will work :)
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Drinking water is huge, it flushes the toxins and helps wash out your system, in fact thats all i drink, I have a 52oz thermos, and i refill it 2-3 times a day, and drink lots of water. I also follow the guidlines for my diet plan, and walk a lot. I have lost 18.5 in about 2 weeks.
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Also have to really monitor sodium. Sodium will make you retain water.
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Mix up the exercise, mix up the amount of calories per day, and lower the sodium. TMy weight trainer at the gym says that the body adjusts to "routine". Yu have to keep it guessing what is next!
  • transparentjelly
    Options
    well im new but i drink loads of water and its not doing much for me but keeping me well, its not doing much for my weight though.:ohwell: it might help you though!! i hope the best for you!!
  • transparentjelly
    Options
    oh and also i do like to eat alot of salt so thats probably whats going wrong.