Gaahhhh!!!!

Options
I started at 153 lbs, and 8 pounds just fell off in two weeks, now I'm stuck at 145 lbs! I'm an exercise newbie, and I'm on Day 5 of the JM 30 Day Shred. I count calories, and I do the workout every night (except I missed one the other night, but didn't go over on my calories!), and I'm stuck! Actually, it's worse, I'm going up!!! I even tried to weigh myself this morning before I had breakfast, you know, for a little pick me up, and it said 146 lbs!!

GAHHHHH!!!!!

Just looking to bark! Any imput would really calm my rage, thank you!

Farmerwife87

Replies

• CarolHudson11
    Options
    I did the same thing. I lost 6.5 lbs in the first week. Then.......nothing. Zip. Nada. For two whole weeks. Now, it's coming off slower, but I've noticed that my clothes are fitting better and I've lost almost 8.5 lbs. I'm losing at an average of a 1/2 lb per week. Hang in there - it WILL come off. :flowerforyou:
  • weeble2008
    weeble2008 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 8 lb loss!! I would go with the fact that you're just getting into exercising and you're probably building muscle, especially by doing Jillian's 30 day shred! Don't get discouraged, the rule I've given myself is I don't let a weight gain of up to 2 or 3 lbs get to me...I've figured out my body can fluctuate that much at any given time!

Good luck!
  • Mrl617
    Mrl617 Posts: 15
    Options
    The same thing happened to me too. I stayed at the same weight for about two weeks. Then all of a sudden I dropped a couple pounds. Just keep doing what you're doing and I'm sure you'll meet your goal!
  • jennifir
    jennifir Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You have been exercising almost every night and that's a great loss in such a short time. It sounds like you have gained some muscle and I wouldn't be surprised if maybe your clothes may be fitting even a tiny bit looser. Keep it up and don't be discouraged...when you start noticing the cottage cheese to start smoothing out you will know you are doing a great job. mine is starting to smooth out and it's only been three weeks since I got back on my zumba regime and been counting calories(this is my first week back on fitness pal). I lost six pounds and gained a pound last week..but the cottage cheese is smoothing out!
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    One of my friends told me when I hit a plateau that people who have less to lose tend to lose slower than people who have more pounds to lose. I know that isn't what you wanted to hear but I thought it might be informative. It was to me. I didn't know....
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    My guess is your body is changing shape, but not shedding pounds yet. Just keep going, it will come off!!! Oh, and for motivation, try on pants a size smaller... even if the scale says you're not ready, chances are your waist line will be!
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I found out the hard way (after a 2lb gain) that when you first start working out, your muscles retain a LOT of water. Drinking lots of water when you know you're going to work out that day will help compensate for it.
  • MandasCorner
    MandasCorner Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you're working out, then you're just gaining new muscle :) Though its frustrating to see the scale going up when you want it to go down, its still a good thing because you're replacing fat with muscle which weighs more. Hope this helps :)

"Gaining of Muscle Mass - For beginners, gaining weight while exercising and dieting is quite common. This happens because muscle mass is built up due to the exercise program. You may be losing fat but they are being replaced by muscles. Since muscles are heavier as compared to fat, we may find that there is weight gain but it is because of useful muscle mass and not due to the unwanted fat. In this way, your body becomes healthier than what it was prior to exercising."

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/gaining-weight-while-exercising.html
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Your slight weight gain is probably due to your new exercise program. When you start a new and challenging program, it's normal for your muscles to retain a little bit extra water to help them recover, hence the minor weight gain. After two or three weeks, when your muscles are used to being stressed that way, they won't retain the water, and your weight will keep dropping. Be patient, and good things will happen!
  • transparentjelly
    Options
    well your probably gaining more weight because your getting muscle and remember muscle weighs more than fat!!!:)
  • hotpinkbarbie1o1
    Options
    Just keep up the working out and you will get there! I always figure, that its better to be eating healthy and working out and stay as you are, verses, not working out or eating healthy and gaining. And remember how good it is for your body and your overall health to get into a workout routine for life!
  • TeddyCharlton
    TeddyCharlton Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Same happened to me, it was tough, I vented, you all cheered me on and finally-down again. If you can focus on the process, that and my husband told me he thought my shape was changing, kept me from feeling virtually insane. Keep it steady:)
  • Phitommer
    Options
    Same here!! I stayed at the same weight for most of January and I was working out more than I ever had. Finally these past 4 days, I dropped pounds. Don't give up! And remember to change up your workout some. Your body gets used to your routine and "settles" you have to use different muscles, do different cardio, etc.
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing the same thing right now. First week 6lbs gone, 2nd week, a couple more, now 3rd week down and NADA! But I am not gaining so thats a good sign. I have been doing a ton of strength training so I am not too concerned right now but if I dont lose anything after week 4 I may be a little bumbed....

As long as you are working hard and eating right (i.e. not cheating) dont worry too much, give it a couple weeks and you should start to see results again. :)