Is it ok that I do the same cardio exercises almost daily?

RHOyalT
RHOyalT Posts: 204 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I searched online but have found conflicting answers. Sorry if this question has been asked before.. I do belly dancing on Mondays and try to do weight training on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Then on Wednesday and Friday (and sometimes Saturday/ Sunday) I do a combination of the same 4 or 5 exercise videos on Exercise TV.

Two of them are Billy Blanks, Jr and I also do Leslie Sanson Walk at Home and do either 1 or 2 miles with that.

One post I read somewhere on line said that muscle has memory and conserves energy when they know what to expect. Sounds a little far fetched to me, but, hey, what do I know? Another post said you eventually plateau so you shouldn't do the same exercise.

I never do any of the videos without giving 100% so whenever I'm done I'm always pouring sweat. I haven't yet joined a gym so this is my form of working out and I must say I really enjoy doing them.

I just want to know if I need to switch it up.

Replies

• jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    I believe as long as it's any sustained activity is what really matters. There are people who just walk or run and they lose weight. If you are limited to what you can do, whether physically or financial, just getting any activity is better than none at all.
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    well your body will get use to the same thing all the time but you seem like you are mixing it up so I would think your ok for a while. If you start getting bored with the same things then change them up.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    I try not to run too much on consecutive days, but that's because I'm trying not to get injured. Otherwise I think it's good to do whatever makes you happy! Sounds like you've got a variety, so don't worry about it. Just move!!! Keep it up!
  • sounds like what you're doing is fine. if it were the same exercise everyday then you could hit a plateau, but the best way is muscle confusion, which is switching it up a little. so doing something different everyday is the best way to go. good luck!
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    I usually do the same routine for 4 to 6 weeks and then switch it up. It sounds like you are doing a lot a variety throughout the week. I think you should be fine for awhile. I'd say if you start to plateau or notice that your workouts seem to be too easy then you might want to switch it up or just find a way to increase your intensity. No matter what just keep moving!!
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 385 Member
    I've always heard to mix it up. Confuse your body and working other parts will be most effective.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    It looks like you are already switching it up every week with a good variety. I haven't joined a gym either. I have a few things I keep rotating around, but not as scheduled as you. One thing I didn't see on there is a good fast walk. As easy as it seems, it really throws me when I stick one of those in. I get some complaining muscles even though I do things I would think are harder most other days. And it's free!
This discussion has been closed.