Need help! Healthy chinese recipes

Options
I love fried rice etc. but I need some healthy options!

Replies

• callipygianchronicle
    Options
    Everyday Food for January has a delicious lightened up version of Sweeat & Sour Chicken. Here is a link: http://culinarycovers.com/2011/01/sweet-and-sour-chicken-with-green-beans/ .
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Making your own fried rice significantly reduces fat and calories. You can also control sodium intake with reduced sodium soy sauce, and you can use brown rice and even egg substitute if you wanted. I make shrimp fried rice a lot and I add TONS of veggies: frozen peas, corn, carrots, green beans, etc. Huge hit at my house.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I would love some low calorie Chinese recipes! Sometimes it seems like even if you go healthier homemade it can still be a whole bunch of calories. :(
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm cooking a Ho Fan beef from the "Cook Yourself Thin" book tomorrow tonight in honour of the new year - will let you know how it turns out.
  • ksills5
    Options
    Aldi has a General Tso's Chicken in the freezer section that was pretty good! I don't remember how many calories, but I know it didn't have a TON of calories- it came with white rice though I think.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/recipes/healthified/healthified-teriyaki-pork-and-mushroom-lo-mein.aspx

Healthified Teriyaki Pork and Mushroom Lo Mein

http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/Recipes/healthified/healthified-vegetarian-thai-salad-with-peanut-dressing.aspx

Healthified Vegetarian Thai Salad w/ Peanut Butter Dressing

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipe/pasta/thai-peanut-noodle-bowl/

Thai Peanut Noodle Bowl

Ingredients
    2 ounces uncooked whole-wheat pasta
    1 tablespoon peanut butter
    1 tablesppon lime juice
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 piece (1-inch) ginger, peeled and grated
    1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame
    2 cups frozen stir-fry vegetables
    1 tablespoon chopped peanuts
    2 scallions, sliced
    Directions
    Cook pasta according to directions.
    In a skillet, saute peanut butter, lime juice, garlic and ginger for 1 minute.
    Add edamame and vegetables and cook for 12 minutes until vegetables are tender; pour over pasta.
    Top with peanuts and scallions.

And I absolutely love this website. Here is a huge list of Chinese recipes!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_chinese_recipes

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/stir_fry_recipes
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I make stir fry ALL of the time. It's really simple and you can make it a million different ways!! I hardly ever eat Chinese restaurant food, it's loaded w/ MSG (I have a sensitivity to MSG) and sodium!!

1. Pick your protein (chicken, beef, pork, fish, or just eggs/ egg whites).
    2. Chop your veggies (spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, snap peas, bean sprouts, carrots, cauliflower, peppers, onions, water chestnuts... really whatever you want to use!!),
    3. Add a little reduced sodium chicken/ beef/ veggie broth to a Wok or large pan (I also add some rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar, lime juice, garlic, ginger... whatever I feel like!). Add the meat and cook until done. Toss in the veggies. Stir fry until they're done to your liking.
    4. Serve w/ brown rice or noodles if desired! You can use Asian sauces (but watch the sodium and sugars in things like teriyaki sauce!). I add natural peanut butter for a peanut butter chicken stir fry that is awesome! I like the Sriracha sauce or chili garlic sauce also. (find it in the Asian/ ethnic aisle of most grocery stores) http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/product.htm
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have fried rice, chow mein, ginger beef, etc on my website!

http://www.momvsfood.blogspot.com :bigsmile:

I LOVE Chinese!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Mmmm just finished the Ho Fan Beef noodles - yummy! Herre's the recipe:

Serves 2
    prep time 10 mins
    cooking time 10 mins
    456 calories per serving

Ingredients:
    100g wide rice noodles (or any other noodles)
    200g lean sirloin steak, trimmed of fat
    olive oil spray
    salt and freshly ground pepper
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
    2cm knob ginger, peeled and finely shredded
    3 spring onions, chopped
    10 small ****ake mushrooms (other mushrooms would do)
    100g tenderstem brocoli
    1 red pepper deseeded and sliced
    1 yellow pepper, ditto
    1 red chilli finely sliced.
    3 tablespoons oyster sauce
    2 tablespoons soy sauce

Method:
    Rehydrate the noodles, if required.

Heat a griddle pan till smoking. Spritz the steak with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill (broil) the steak for 1 to 2 minutes per side, more if you like your steak well done. Remove from heat and leave to rest for 5 mins. Slice thinly widthways.

Mix the oyster and soy sauces together with a splash of water.

Heat a wok. Add olive oil and throw in the garlic, ginger, spring onion, mushrooms, broccoli and peppers. Stir-fry for 2-3 mins.
    Pour over the oyster/soy sauce mix, and add the steak and noodles.

Stir well until combined. Divide between 2 bowls and top with sliced chili.
  • RevRun
    Options
    I have a healthy "Faux Fried Rice" recipe. This is so good that it tricks people... no rice at all....

1/2 head of raw cauliflower grated (about 3 1/2 cups loosely packed cauliflower ... I use my food processor.... very easy)
    3 green onions, chopped
    4 cloaves garlic, minced
    2-3 Tbls low-sodium soy sauce
    1/2 to 1 tsp garlic salt
    3 eggs, beaten (but I would use egg substitute in this today)
    2 Tbls veggie/canol oil (probably could use less in a teflon pan)
    cooked pork, chicken shrimp or beef (optional)

1. Heat the oil in the bottom of a large pan. Fry the mined garlic and white part of the onion for about a minute.

2. Add the grated cauliflower and fry for approximately 5 minutes stirring constantly.

3. Add soy sauce, garlic salt, green onion tops, and meat and stir until well mixed. Then push the mixture to the side of the pan.

4. Scramble eggs in the empty side of the pan.

5. When the eggs are done, stir them into the "rice" and enjoy.
  • SweetyGirl
    Options
    LOVE the Faux Fried Rice recipe. I make that all the time and it's hard to tell the difference! You can eat that and still like yourself afterward. :blushing:

Here's another one - Inside Out Eggrolls -- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/148232-inside-out-egg-rolls?hl=inside+out+eggroll#posts-2009872

Love this with shrimp and diced Canadian Bacon.

You can also just make the cauliflower rice plain and use it under a healthy stir-fry.
  • ready_for_a_change
    Options
    Not sure what your looking for but I have made fried rice that simulates hibachi style rice and keep the calories low. Or course you can use low sodium products to help keep sodium down but here goes:

1 Serving

1 cup rice
    1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots (cooked in microwave until tender)
    1/4 cup egg beaters cooked scrambled (use non-stick butter flavor spray)
    2 oz left over meat, I prefer chicken or shrimp or a combo ( dice)
    about 8 sprays of "I can't believe it's not butter" spray (on rice)
    2 TBsp Soy sauce
    a sprinkle of garlic powder

When veggies and eggs are done; use same skillet and spray some more butter flavor non-stick spry in it (this adds some flavor too), add meat on medium heat until hot, add rice, spray with "I can't believe it's not butter" spray, add remaining ingredients heat until warm.

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Chol Fiber
    353 54 1 28 33 3 :glasses:
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    hmm these sounds yummy *bookmarks to try another day*
  • dakotalady
    Options
    I know a lot good healthy oriental meal. My mother is oriental. You can make spring rolls, wrap lettuce, vietnam salad, sweet n sour soup, and lot more. Just let me know whatever interested you and I will post it. Laid off that Eggrolls because its a deep fry and it has HIGH calories. Unless you bake it in oven.
  • RevRun
    Options
    YUM! I can't wait to try this!
  • juliabranstetter
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! My husband loves chinese to. He's in the military so he can eat ALOT. Hes coming home soon and I was trying to find healthy stuff to fix that would fill us both up!

Dakotalady I'll use anything you want to post.
  • dakotalady
    Options
    okay, I will post some of the recipes that is healthy.

Sweet and Sour Soup
    pork loin ( thin sliced, stripped)
    black fungus (find at oriental store)
    Dried mushroom Shiitake (find at oriental store)
    dried lily flower (find at oriental store)
    6 cups chicken broth
    soy sauce
    fish sauce
    rice vingear
    half tsp garlic minced/or 1 piece garlic
    Rice Noodle
    1 tsp black pepper (optional, it will make the soup spicy)
    chopped fresh green onion

boil hot the water and pour in a large bowl, put few shiitake, lily, and fungus; let it soak in for about 15 to 30 minutes. While wait, slice pork into thin strip and sprinkle some soy sauce on blend it well, set aside. follow the instruction to cook the rice noodle: if its oriental language/ boil water and add noodle, cook till tender about 3 to 5 minutes. Take the noodle out and put in a bowl, discharge the water. in a big pot, add chicken broth and garlic heat it up medium-high, add pork. While cooking, take out black fungus, cut sliced if possible, shiitake if its round mushroom, cut up into a strip and discharge any hard piece such as stem. throw them all with lily in the pot and stir. sprinkle some fish sauce ( careful not to put too much its VERY salty), sprinkle rice vingear. Cook till pork is done, add black pepper and stir. In a soup bowl, put bit of rice noddle on bottom of bowl. Pour some soup in and sprinkle some green onion(optional).

My finace and 2 year old daughter LOVE THEM! They cant get enough of it.

ENJOY!
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    The faux fried rice with cauliflower sounds interesting. Does anyone have the nutritional information on it or know how many calories is in a serving? Thanks!