Wedding Dress Advice PLEASE!

Options
Please help me MFP friends! My wedding is September 30th of this year and I was going to wait until early June to go wedding dress shopping in hopes that I will have lost a good deal of weight by then and then I would still have time to get it altered if I lost after that before the wedding but I am getting nervous that I should shop earlier. I want to be able to have as many options as possible. What should I do??? How much can they alter a dress...will I be screwed if I get one now and lose a lot of weight? Please tell me what you think!

Replies

• Taras630
    Options
    Congrats on the wedding. I think your best bet is to call a dress shop and ask. I would think they.d be able to alter it, but I dont know
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    When i went dress shopping they told me it really should be done 6 months in advance (buying the dress) so that it makes it in on time and you have time for alterations as well. If you're getting married in September, I wouldn't go shopping any later then the beginning of March.
  • ChristaS
    ChristaS Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had to order my dress 6 months in advance. of course if your buying "off the rack" (which for the record I have no problem with ) it wouldn't matter. but to keep all options open I would say shop earlier.

why not go looking and if you see one you like find out how much in advance you have to order. each designer is different.

and I think that how much the dress can be altered depends on the individual dress. Mine was ordered a 12 and I was about a 10 when we got married and it looked great.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Shop early...lots of dresses you have to order and that takes several months. You can always have the dress altered the month before. At the store when you purchase, they will pin the dress so the shape will look as it should when it is altered regardless of how much you lose. Congrats on the engagement and enjoy this time of your life. You are very lucky that you found MFP before your wedding (i'm 15 lbs LIGHTER now than when I got married in 09..bummer) I also recommend p90x, it gives great results and is perfect for that wedding-dress physique we all want. Best of luck :-)
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    I've been told that taking in a dress is not as hard as letting one out! Be glad you don't have to worry about it being the other way around :) congrats
  • cando_b
    Options
    It depends if you are willing to go for a sample or not, and if samples come in a size that you would need. I picked my dress 6 weeks before the wedding and bought the sample. It needed minor alterations (bustle and hemming) only. That said, I didn't have a "dream dress" in mind, didn't really care about the wedding ceremony itself (that is a whole other long story), and bought a very basic, simple dress. I think, all told with the alterations, it cost me about $400.

Good luck!
  • jmyers1230
    jmyers1230 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I would start looking now and ask each store how long it would take to get a specific dress in.

I think wedding dresses are made so they can be easily altered 2 sizes in either direction. Again, this is something I would ask in a store.

Don't let a store force you to buy the size you are now since you know you will be smaller by September. But also, don't buy a size that is unrealistic for you to reach.

I went shopping for my dress in the fall and then gained weight. I have it now and it's too small. But we changed the date of our wedding shortly after I went shopping and now I have until the end of the year to lose what I gained.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Still losing, even though I'm no longer trying to lose (anyone know how to actually maintain???). My wedding is in May and the dress I bought is at least a full size too big now, but again, still losing. So do I alter it now and then have to do it again, at the tune of $400 each time??? Or do I wait until right before the wedding and run the risk of it being too late to get the dress or have it altered. I'm short too, which makes it that much harder. Okay, so this didn't help at all, but at least you know you're not alone. Good luck!
  • bangarangbree
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Still losing, even though I'm no longer trying to lose (anyone know how to actually maintain???). My wedding is in May and the dress I bought is at least a full size too big now, but again, still losing. So do I alter it now and then have to do it again, at the tune of $400 each time??? Or do I wait until right before the wedding and run the risk of it being too late to get the dress or have it altered. I'm short too, which makes it that much harder. Okay, so this didn't help at all, but at least you know you're not alone. Good luck!

Have you changed your goals in MFP to "maintain"? If not, your calorie count will still be for losing.
  • callyno8
    Options
    Megan got married in 5 weeks!!! she found her dress and everything worked out alterations and everything plus she was pregnant and growing!! they usually try to work with you especially if you get them off the sales rack..if you have to get it ordered from the distribution place then it takes awhile
  • aimeemaryrose
    Options
    I had that problem. I picked a dress in the size I was then, knowing it would be easier to take in, than let out! Plus I picked a dress that had lacing up the back, that way, I could lace myself in as tight or as loose as I wanted to. It worked well, I was a size smaller and just laced myself in tighter. They also made last minute alterations to the bustline so that it fitted exactly on the day. Good luck!
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I think you should definitely start shopping now! Get as many options and ideas as you can. Like others said, if you're planning on ordering a dress, that process takes several months. If you're going to purchase it off the rack (like at David's Bridal), then you may be able to hold off on choosing your gown for a little bit longer, but you do have to take alteration time into consideration. If needed, there's always a rush option, BUT, you have to be willing to pay that rush price.

Congratulations on your wedding and dress shopping! The dress was my favorite part of planning my wedding. :)
  • gloria581
    gloria581 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have to buy a formal dress for my 20 year anniversary/vow renewal party this June. I plan on waiting till April to start shopping for my dress as I hope to lose another 18 lbs by then. I won't be wearing a wedding dress so I don't need to order it so long in advance. I think you should at the very least start looking at styles you like. I plan on doing that soon too.
  • STARG1RL
    STARG1RL Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes, consider yourself the lucky one! I've lost at least 17 lbs since my wedding last May & want to continue to lose/ gain muscle mass before my 1st Anniversary. I want to be EXTRA healthy later this summer, when we'd like to try to get pregnant too!!!

The best of luck to you...