strength training

Options
does anyone know how many calories are burned during strength training? i have been strength training, but have not logged the calories burned, cuz i simply don't know how to calculate it. I usually walk/jog for 20 minutes first and than do my strength circuit. any ideas? anyone? :) thanks.

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Each person is going to burn differently due to age and gender. I am able to burn roughly 350 calories during an hour of weight lifting. You may want to invest in a heart rate monitor. Although, they are best used for cardio.
  • braddydm
    braddydm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a heartrate monitor and I use that for ALL of my training!!! I burn a lot calories when weight training and I like to keep track of everything!! hope this helps!! :)
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Each person is going to burn differently due to age and gender. I am able to burn roughly 350 calories during an hour of weight lifting. You may want to invest in a heart rate monitor. Although, they are best used for cardio.

did you wear yours when doing P90X out of curiosity/ I started my first week and i know there's quite a bit of strength training in the classic version. Do you feel it gave you an accurate report?
  • helbohn
    Options
    yes i do have a heart monitor. so, is there some kind of magic formula that you can punch in your numbers and keep track of the calorie burn during weight training? i can feel my heart beating when i am doing my circuit, so any info would be helpful! thanks so much! :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Consensus seems to be that HRM overestimates for anything except aerobic activtity. I wish I knew of a formula to compensate, but I think it's a very tricky problem to solve or else the formula would be out there.

I've been using this online calculator to estimate:
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Yesterday I pushed extra extra hard, so I just averaged my HRM value and the online calculator value.

It's all a guessing game unless you get one of those BodyBugg or BodyMedia devices.
  • helbohn
    Options
    aww thanks! that just confirms what i already knew! ha. it's good to know what others are doing about logging calories burned during weight training. those buggy arms would be cool to have!! too bad they cost an arm and a leg! ;-) thanks again!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options

did you wear yours when doing P90X out of curiosity/ I started my first week and i know there's quite a bit of strength training in the classic version. Do you feel it gave you an accurate report?

Yes, I use it during each workout. Even for weight training. P90X is very few rest periods, so my heart rate stays elevated.
  • stephilderton
    stephilderton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I log my training just for recording what I'm doing, really. I don't know that there's a GREAT way to calculate calories burned.
  • helbohn
    Options
    yah, i acutally still log what kind of strength training i did, for my own records. but don't have calories burned for the sessions I do, that's the bummer part! :( but still feels good to track everything and feel better each new day I keep this up! :)