New to My Fitness Pal ... Looking for suggestions

Options
:flowerforyou:

Hello, I am new to My Fitness Pal and look forward to chatting with some of you to reach my 40 pound weight loss goal. About six months ago, I was placed on a series of fertility medications and as a result I gained about 30 unwanted pounds. So its now the time to get rid of em!!! I filled out the little questionaire at the start of the website and it recommended I eat 1400 calories a day to loose 2 lbs a week ... Any suggestions to loose more. I am extremely motivated, will totally stick to a "diet regimen" and can work out 4-5 x a week. I work for an ambulance company, and we work 24 hour shifts, so depending on our work load for the day, workouts can be difficult.

I would love to hear from anyone with suggestions :)

Replies

• peanut352
    peanut352 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think if you just stick with the plan MFP set up for you, you will do just fine. You really dont want to lose more than 2lbs a week, it's not healthy, and losing slowly like this will make it much easier to keep it off.

Good Luck with your goals! Add some friends, you will love the support! :flowerforyou:
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site, it is such a great tool for weight loss. My suggestion to you is to record what you typically eat for several days then from there find small changes you can make for the long term to better your health. If you drink sodas, gradually phase them out, if you don't eat lots of fruits/veggies add those in, or whatever. 2 lbs a week is the most healthy weight you can lose, any more and you'll be losing muscle (very bad) and not fat. Since your schedule is tricky, I'd try to plan your food and exercise for the day as best as you can. Best of luck!
  • Tarah1357
    Tarah1357 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new as well and I have found by following this plan combined with some pointers from weigh watchers it works great. I've lost 2.5 lbs since starting this a week ago and my recommended calorie intake is like 1475. Do you do any particular workouts? I do Zumba and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good cardio workout. Not only does it burn calories and fat, but it tones at the same time. Good luck with reaching your goal! I'm sure you'll do great!
  • april33911
    Options
    Thanks for all the support! I appreciate your insight .... Cant wait to see the results :)
  • hjollyrn
    hjollyrn Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to friend me! This is a great site! Stick to MFP suggestions and you'll do great!
  • flipmode904
    Options
    hello every one i am new to this sight and i am looking for any advice to loosing these extra pounds. so if any one has advice just hit me up i am willing to talk, i am curently working out 6 days a week but i am looking for a good meal plan that agrees with my taste buds lol
  • lbmc80
    Options
    I haven't seen anywhere on the website where it asks if you are nursing. Has anyone saw that? I am still nursing and know I need to up my caloric intake, but I am not sure how much, and I don't want to lose my milk supply. Any comments are welcomed.

B
  • ledfordtr2
    Options
    I haven't seen anywhere on the website where it asks if you are nursing. Has anyone saw that? I am still nursing and know I need to up my caloric intake, but I am not sure how much, and I don't want to lose my milk supply. Any comments are welcomed.

B

I'm currently in nursing school, and during our Nutrition class we were taught 500 calories is all you need to increase your intake by when breastfeeding. Granted, this is not specifically for dieting, and there may be a more specific recommendation for that, but hopefully it helps =)

By the way, I'm also new to the site, looking to lose ~50lbs for my health and for better management of my Type I diabetes. Just thought I'd introduce myself and didn't want to create my own thread =)
  • lbmc80
    Options
    Thanks! I guess I'll keep that in mind. That is a lot more calories, and it already says I am not eating enough. I need to track more consistently. Thanks anyways!
    B