Do you think coffee helps to lose weight??

Arynamber
Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
Some people swear that it helps.. just wondering..

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    nope
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    The only positive I've heard is having about a cup of black coffee before you go work out . . . but I don't know how true that is. I don't think coffee, in moderation, is bad . . . what we add to it and excessive amounts might prove harmful. =0)
  • coffee is not very helthy for you in the first place so im guessing that it wont help you lose any weight but thats just my opinion. hope it helps!!
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    I don't think it helps you lose weight but I know it fills me up for a time being!
  • MissChelleBelle
    MissChelleBelle Posts: 51 Member
    From mayoclinic.com:

A few studies indicate that drinking coffee or tea with caffeine may slightly boost weight loss or prevent weight gain. But there's no evidence that increased caffeine consumption results in significant or permanent weight loss. And some of the studies looking at caffeine and weight were poor quality or done on animals, making the results questionable or hard to generalize to humans. In addition, some studies found that decaffeinated coffee may contribute to modest changes in weight, suggesting that substances or factors besides caffeine may play a role in weight loss.

Although the research about caffeine and weight isn't definitive, researchers have several theories about how caffeine affects weight:

Appetite suppression. Caffeine may reduce your desire to eat for a brief time, but there's not enough evidence to show that long-term consumption aids weight loss.
    Calorie burning. Caffeine may stimulate thermogenesis — one way your body generates heat and energy from digesting food. But this probably isn't enough to produce significant weight loss.
    Water loss. Caffeine acts as a diuretic, which means it increases the amount of urine you excrete. This water loss may temporarily decrease your body weight.
    While you may be tempted to try caffeine to aid weight loss, keep in mind that caffeine's a stimulant and too much can cause nervousness, insomnia and other problems. Also, some caffeinated beverages, such as specialty coffees, are high in calories and fat. So instead of losing weight, you might actually gain weight.
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    The caffeine will give you short term energy and wake you up. Dr. Oz says one or two cups a day is ok.

1145659.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • i'm an avid coffee drinker, some of the good things about it is that it's an antioxidant. ie: how u have to run to the bathroom in the morning after your morning cup of joe lol it keeps me regular (i've always had issues) and for me (this may not be the healthiest thing) but on days when i'm drinking coffee for a pick me up i've noticed that i don't eat nearly as much. but in excess coffee can be harmful and even cause hallucinations! so be careful. i think it could help in that it will keep you regular but as far as doing anything beyond that i'm not sure :)
  • caffeine can be your best friend on a diet. caffeine in modest amounts, as in one to two cups a day, has been shown to have many benificail fat-burning affects with no harmful side affects for the healthy individual. caffeine helps liberate stored fatty acids, allowing them to be burned more rapidly and efficiently. it also improves concentration, blunts hunger(when used with half-and-half) and increases workout preformance!!
This discussion has been closed.