Do we really have to worry about nonstick cookware or is it

Options
I have been reading about nonstick cookware and it makes me want to throw my pans away. But do I really have to worry? Is it possible it is all over reaction by the green movement? I'm actually scared.

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have a cast iron pan that I use for all my (frying) cooking, properly seasoned it's virtually non-stick anyway, just have to clean it properly. I don't use the non-stick stuff because I live with room-mates that can't seem to understand that a metal utensil will ruin the coating on those pans. And once it starts to flake ditch it. I choose not to, like I choose not to microwave anything.

Edited to add: properly cared for this cast iron pan will go on to my kids, where the flimsy non stick ones I'll be replacing every couple years, better to lay out the money once for a quality pan!
  • paul977
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about too much as in this statement cows are worse. ...Cows emit a massive amount of methane through belching, with a lesser amount through flatulence. Statistics vary regarding how much methane the average dairy cow expels. Some experts say 100 liters to 200 liters a day (or about 26 gallons to about 53 gallons), while others say it's up to 500 liters (about 132 gallons) a day. In any case, that's a lot of methane, an amount comparable to the pollution produced by a car in a day.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of a problem with the non-stick portion, just the aluminum getting into your food should the non-stick come off. Apparently there may be a link between ingesting aluminum and the incidence of Alzheimers and Parkinsons diseases.
    We typically cook in stainless steel or on cast iron.
  • adrienne4791
    Options
    I have a cast iron pan that I use for all my (frying) cooking, properly seasoned it's virtually non-stick anyway, just have to clean it properly. I don't use the non-stick stuff because I live with room-mates that can't seem to understand that a metal utensil will ruin the coating on those pans. And once it starts to flake ditch it. I choose not to, like I choose not to microwave anything.

Edited to add: properly cared for this cast iron pan will go on to my kids, where the flimsy non stick ones I'll be replacing every couple years, better to lay out the money once for a quality pan!

I love my cast iron as well. My boyfriend bought me a great cast iron griddle that flips over for a grill side. That thing is magic! Can cook anything but does require maintance and care but will last a lifetime unlike non stick pans. I use non stick as well but noticed replacement every couple of years. Cast iron can be expensive but think of it this way...replace pans every couple of years or just go with cast iron and save future purcheses? Hope thats helps!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I'm way over cautious by nature, but If your finish is scratched or flaking I wouldn't take the risk, especially if you've got kids.

I love my cast iron skillets, when they are new you've got to be a little careful to get them seasoned properly, but once they are I rarely ever have a problem with foods sticking.

The down side is it takes a while for the pan to cool, but once it does a quick rinse with the tiniest drop of soap and a "chore boy" (plastic scrubby). And i throw it on a low flame to dry. Helps maintain the seasoning.

Studies have shown that you get the bonus of a little additional iron in your diet.
    I've got think if that's the case what do you get from the non-stick?

To me worth the $14 bucks I spent on the pan to not have to think about it.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I don't like non-stick because it's too hard to take care of, and yes, if it's scratched or flaking it can put chemicals into your food. Also, just the idea of eating little flakes of Teflon skeeves me out. I got rid of my non-stick stuff before I'd ever heard anything about the chemical issue.

I use stainless steel for most of my cooking, but I have two cast-iron pans for when I need something non-stick. My smallest pan is so well-seasoned that I can fry an over-easy egg with no oil in the pan and no worries about breaking the yolk. I have yet to see a "non-stick" pan that can do that.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    properly cared for this cast iron pan will go on to my kids...
    better to lay out the money once for a quality pan!

My sister is still using my GREAT GRANDMOTHER'S cast iron pan.

Cast iron has always seemed to me to be much cheaper than all those fancy non-stick brands
    AND they last forever. So lemme see 1) cheaper upfront cost and 2) lasts for eons. I'll call that a good value
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Wow! Ok. Out they go. They are not chippin or flaking, they are actually new, but I am afraid of the gases they emmit.I will start building a cast iron collection. Many thanks I though I was worried for nothing but clearly there is a stron opinion to head toward cast iton. Thanks everyone!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options

And think of all the calories you can burn lifting those cast iron pans. Some of those suckers are soooooo heavy...especially when full of food! :bigsmile:
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    This has got me thinking about the crappy pans I have in my kitchen. I think cast iron pans will be on my birthday wish list for next month. On the upside, we use the microwave most anyway! :tongue:
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Can you use cast iron on a ceramic top stove? I've love to try it but we just bought stove a year ago and I don't want to scratch it!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Can you use cast iron on a ceramic top stove? I've love to try it but we just bought stove a year ago and I don't want to scratch it!

They're very heavy, so I'm not sure. I would contact the stove's manufacturer and see what they say.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Thanks!:smile:
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I have been reading about nonstick cookware and it makes me want to throw my pans away. But do I really have to worry? Is it possible it is all over reaction by the green movement? I'm actually scared.

I have heard all the hype and read some stuff about it. It is really only a problem if you burn stuff in them or leave them on the burner with nothing in them. You should be fine for making grill cheese, frying eggs etc. just don't leave burn them out.
  • Buttsmom
    Buttsmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Remember back in the day when coal miners would send Canaries into the coal mines and if the Canaries died they knew it wasn't safe to go in. Now a days if you have pans coated with PTFE and birds in your house, you risk causing your birds death if the pan overheats. Bird owners have lobbied for years to get warnings on products that contain PTFE and the manufactures have started including them in new pots and pans. The miners knew if it killed a bird it was unsafe, so maybe we should all still adhere to that. My PTFE coated pans have been gone for over 10 yrs, I only use Stainless steel. And yes I own birds, so I know that it's not just the environmental groups making a big deal about it, I know actual bird owners that have lost their birds due to PTFE poisoning.

The true name for Teflon is PTFE, the actual name Teflon is trademarked by Dupont and you can be sued for blaming just Teflon for the problem.

Here's a website for anyone that wants to read in depth about it. . http://www.ewg.org/reports/toxicteflon
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I recently stopped using the non-stick pans and now use my cast iron pan which has sat patiently in the stove drawer for years.

I bought myself a beautiful set of Le Creuset pans a few years ago and use the pots but never used the frying pan as I used to burn everything or it all stuck. I finally googled how to use them properly and I've had success.

I threw away my microwave last fall and replaced it with a toaster oven. I've never missed it. It helps that I don't eat a lot of processed foods.
  • might4
    might4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You are not supposed to use cast iron on the glass top stovetops. I do because the surface scratches it can cause is worth it to me. If you don't slide it around you shouldn't have much of a problem.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use my cast iron pan on glasstop range here, gas range in the camper and the circle burners (whole or ringed metal) put the pan down on the burner and don't move it. Another advantage of the cast iron is its heat distribution so move the items in the pan but you shouldn't need to be sliding the pan around once you've heated it.

I bought an enameled cast iron pot when they were on for $20, and just love it for making my oatmeal / porridge in, and its easy to clean, if anything does stick just soak it and wipe it, comes right out.

The fun comes with the big cast iron stock pot, I swear that thing acts like a pressure cooker because the lid itself is as heavy as my frying pan so anything cooked in it like soup seems to cook up faster than in any other "pot"

Edited... to add... (why can't I finish a train of thought before posting) there's some great deals to be had at yard-sales etc when someone gets a new pot set and gives up their old cast iron pans, and mason jars, since I'm canning and planning to expand what I can next year I'm always looking for the jars.
  • abillings9
    Options
    Cast iron pans are great, I also use stainless steel and scan pans (they are diamond titanium coated nonstick with no harmful 'plastics' in it... they are completely 'green' cookware and are excellent, albeit pricey. I justify the price in knowing that I probably will not have to buy anything else again as long as I take good care of them (do not clean in dishwasher...use only plastic or wooden utensils on them...). I am a culinary arts student so I cook at home every day.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to chime in, in case someone happens to search and find this.

I have also heard the nasty things about teflon and aluminum (like not using tomatoes in it).

Anyway, just to let people know, stainless steel is non-stick. If you have an issue with things sticking, it's over heated, you used spray oils, or your food hasn't finished cooking. Clean up is a snap. Also, the stainless steel cookware is meant for low to medium temps.

Cast iron is awesome for high temps. You shouldn't use soap on them as that will remove the wonderful fat seasoning on them and lead to rust. After a good hot water wash & wipe, just rub a drop of oil in it for storage. It's also easy non-stick.

A good set of cookware will get you through your life. Just like food, natural stuff just does so much better!