Need recipes for protein shakes

Options
My local store had a sale on whey protein, so I bought vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. I'd love any recipes! I'm having trouble eating due to an ulcer, but can keep down the protein shakes. Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Stephanie E

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Chocolate mint protein shake
    1 to 2 scoops whey protein.
    1 cup of fat free milk, or water(sometimes I use 4 oz milk and another 4 water if I double scoop to keep the calories down)
    1/4 tsp mint extract
    1 frozen banana
    add a few icecubes to make colder or thicker

Orange dream shake
    12 oz diet orange soda,
    1 to 2 scoops of vanilla protein
    1 container of low fat orange cream yogurt
    1/2 of a naval orange
    several icecubes

peanut butter shake
    1 to 2 scoops of either vanilla or chocolate protein
    1 tbsp natural peanutbutter
    1 frozen banana
    5 or 6 icecubes
    1 cup of milk or water.

You can experiment with different fruits, or extracts. You can make chocolate cherry, chocolate orange, strawberry, rasberry, I also make a mint shake with vanilla protein, and spinnach.
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cschick2317
    Options
    If you are trying to avoid solid food you can try protein pudding. The trainer at our gym suggested that to my husband as a different way to consume whey powder. Just take some sugar free instant pudding mix and mix in 2 or 3 scoops of the whey and however much milk the pudding box suggests.

Another way my husband and i use whey is putting 1/2-1 scoop of vanilla whey in our oatmeal...but based off what you said about having a hard time eating i'm not sure if you can eat oatmeal.

Hope that helps. I'm not sure what kind of recipes you are going for.
  • chrysnel
    Options
    My favourite right now is:

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    2 tbsp ground flax
    1/2 cup frozen berries
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    huge handful of spinach

Believe me, you cannot taste the spinach, but it adds loads of healthy nutrients to your shake! You could also use a different flavour of protein powder with this one.

Check out this website for more great recipes - I just found it the other day! Good stuff!
    http://greenmonstermovement.com/
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    When I got my wisdom teeth out, I lived on protein smoothies and processed soups.
    Add one serving of protein powder to your favorite fruits (chocolate goes well with berries, vanilla and strawberry go with everything~ approx. 1-2 cups depending on how much you want) plus a handful of ice cubes and a splash of milk/soymilk or yogurt.
    fruits that are good in smoothies:
    banana
    strawberries/blueberries/raspberries/blackberries
    persimmons
    cherries
    mango
    pineapple
    peach
    nectarine

You can add 1-2 handfuls of spinach to your smoothies, too. It'll change the color, but there's almost no taste and it'll help you round out the smoothie with fiber and vitamins.

If you want a very substantial shake, try protein powder, banana, milk/soymilk/yogurt and peanut butter.

These are just random guidelines off the top of my head. Check google--there are tons of ideas for specific recipes.
  • NykoleMazzola
    Options
    i would love to see some of these recipes :) thanks !!
  • Jlcory
    Options
    It's nothing crazy, but I like to add cinnamon, ginger, and/or nutmeg (sometimes all three) in with the shake when I mix it.
  • Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I usually just drink it with water or milk......:laugh:
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I have a few variations to the one i do. It's 1 scoop chocolate protein powder of choice, 8 oz of skim milk blended with ice. I also add in a tablespoon or two of peanut butter and/or a couple tablespoons of dry oats to thicken it up (i like the texture it gives). With everything added (2 TBS PB and 3 TBS oats) and using Optimum Nutrition's NitroCore 24 powder, mine ends up being about 466 calories...but I also use it as a breakfast meal replacement. To lower the cals, cut the PB and oats in half.