very low or no calories snack food?

Options
Hi, I just started this week and having a hard time finding good low cal or no cal snack food. Can anyone give suggestions, please? :happy:

Replies

• Jtinner
    Options
    I like baby carrots you buy at the supermarket. Satisfies that crunch and is low calorie.
  • lauramorris85
    Options
    At Walmart (and other grocery stores i'm sure) they have those 100 calorie snacks. I bought several of them and i love them. right now i have cheetos, white cheddar pop corn, nacho cheese chips, AND oreo mini-cakesters. just 100 calories.

Or you could go with sliced pickles..only 5 calories. I think Pretzels are low calorie too.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    It's the sugar & carb content you need to be worried about. Healthy fats help get rid of fat, carbs can cause cells to hang on to fat (much like water retention). Focus on eating good, clean foods (veggies, meat, dairy, some fruit), and you'll be good to go. The good Lord gave us fauna & flora for a reason ;)
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    There are lots o f100 Calorie snacks at the store as well... yogurt is a good snack, nuts, fruit

Hope this helps :)
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I think I've tried every diety snack food on the market - seriously.

Honestly, the best thing to snack on for me that is the most satisfying is a plate full of fresh veggies sprinkled with a little bit of salt and pepper. I like a combo of grape tomatoes, cucumber slices and raw sweet peppers - orange are my favorite.

The calorie content is super low, I get a lot of food for the calories I do eat and it's very filling.
  • canucklynn
    canucklynn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Celery.
    Yeah, not my idea of a snack food either, so I look for stuff that tastes and feels decadent without the big calorie hit.
    Favourites include jello no fat chocolate pudding. They are 100 calories but taste really rich and sweet. I will cut up a banana and put the pudding on it...tastes just like a sundae. The jello dulce de leche caramel flavour is really good to dip granny smith apples into. Tastes nearly like caramel apples with none of the guilt.
    Fudgsicle makes a good fat free 60 cal frozen fudgey bar.
    I also like angel food cake with fresh strawberries. If you have calories to spare that day, a dallop of fat free whipped cream isn't too bad.
    None of these are no calorie, but I think they replicate fatty foods really well, taste great, and don't make you feel like you are completely depriving yourself.

Good luck!!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It's the sugar & carb content you need to be worried about. Healthy fats help get rid of fat, carbs can cause cells to hang on to fat (much like water retention). Focus on eating good, clean foods (veggies, meat, dairy, some fruit), and you'll be good to go. The good Lord gave us fauna & flora for a reason ;)

Very well said! Also, focus on eating 6 times a day instead of 3 big meals. This will help keep your sugar levels even, especially if you eat the above recommendations each time. Protein/carb at each setting.
  • chrysnel
    Options
    You don't necessarily need low-cal/no-cal food - you need something that is going to fill you up and give you the nutrition you need.

A couple of my favourite snacks:

4 hardboiled egg whites, 1 whole egg, fresh cut veggies (I love cucumbers, tomatoes, and sweet peppers!)
    Fat-free plain Greek yogurt with berries or other fruit (the sweetness of the fruit offsets the tartness of the yogurt)
    Apple slices with natural peanut butter or almond butter (make sure the ingredients on the label are simple - NO added sugar or oil!)

Good luck with your journey :smile: Good for you for joining and getting yourself healthy!
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Jello desserts. I like the caramel vanilla sundae. 60 calories and so good. The strawberry shortcake is good as well but its 120 calories.
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have a great recipe for a delicious and very filling vegetable soup. It's hearty and flavorful. Send me a message if you're interested.

More ideas for "healthy" snacks: air-popped popcorn, fruit with hummus or cheese, nuts (only two handfuls!), a smoothie, low fat yogurt, slice of whole grain/high fiber bread with peanut butter (ok - no so low cal, but filling.)
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    well anything you eat will have calories. only zero calorie thing is water :D

but hmm low cal

If you are alright on sodium have some pickles! or green olives :D
    Try also:
    string cheese
    low fat cottage cheese
    100 calorie snack food sold in stores
    tuna
    greek yogurt - my favorite :D
    vitamuffins
    fruit
    celery sticks with low fat cream cheese
    air popped pop corn (they also have 100 calorie bags)
    Special K granola bars (100 calorie options too)

thats just some randoms off the top of my head :D hope it helps!

Oh! Oh! Oh! and of course the best snack of them all: VEGGIES! :D
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    sugar free jello
    strawberries
    celery w/ fat free cream cheese
    pickles
    cucumbers
    peaches
    plums
    watermelon
    unsweetened almond breeze
    sugar free fudge pops
    sauteed/boiled radish tastes like potatoes!
  • grey_stars
    Options
    ice cubes .... haha no i'm not kidding! It's really hot here (Australia)
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurts are great @ 130 cal, very filling
    Almonds or any other nut, just watch your portions
    Doritos single serving bags aren't to cal high, but not as filling as the previous two.
    Pretty much any fruit/veggie
    Gum can tide you over for a bit, But if you starve yourself you do more harm then good
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Cherry tomatoes are my favourite snack.
  • sarasohaee
    Options
    there are lots of sugar free snacks. but I prefer to eat nuts and low calorie cracker in my snack time.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    My favorite is air popped popcorn. I have a microwave popcorn bowl I bought at Target. I just put a 1/4c of popcorn kernels in it and microwave for about 2 minutes. The whole things is about 100 calories and completely natural.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Low cal = veggies/fruits. Carrots, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes (yum!), apples, grapes, peaches, plums...

My snacks tend to be a bit heftier than that though. Some common snacks here (higher in calories, but mostly good in nutrition):
    Peanut butter & banana
    Peanut butter & apple
    Cheese & apple
    Fruit & yogurt
    Cheese & crackers
    Nuts (almond, peanuts)
    Cottage cheese with fruit
    Smoothies (yogurt with fruit or with some peanut butter/banana)
    Ants on a Log (Peanut butter/celery/raisins)
    Peanut butter & crackers
  • CINDYLOU1966
    CINDYLOU1966 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    How many carbs should we have in a day ? its hard to find food that is low in soduim and carbs and fat .. what are the food with good fat that u can have I get confussed on this . thanks hugs to u all
  • getslim4me
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions. I had to giggle when I saw ants on a log because I don't know anyone who called it that.