5K Race

Options
Tomorrow Im running in my first 5k race. My goal is to finish the race. What is a good time to complete a 5k race?

Thanks in advance for your response! Have A Great Day!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• activemom
    activemom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    good luck tomorrow! know you will rock it! a good time to complete a 5K depends on where you are in your "running life". if it is your first you have nothing to compare it to so just have fun and keep moving!
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    25 minutes is what most sites are saying for a runner that is doing their first 5k
  • CalorieNinja
    Options
    25 minutes is what most sites are saying for a runner that is doing their first 5k
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    My first one (last summer) was 41 minutes, but then three months later I did it in 36:37! I know some people who rock out a 20 min 5K... but that's really really fast! If you can do it in under 45 minutes, I pretty much think you rock! Just finish.. even if you have to walk some, you'll finish faster than you think!!

Good luck!!!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Woah, I wouldn't shoot for 25 minutes! I ran mine in 27:30 and that was really good for me. Previously, I had been running 5k by myself in 34 minutes. Whatever you do, just be proud of yourself for taking on the challenge! Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I would say, just finish the race and don't worry too much about the time. Just be proud that you finished. :)
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I do not know what the book says but my cardio day consists of running 6.4k in 42-43 mins and about 3/4 of that I do on a 1.5-2 degree incline to increase cal burn. So in 25 mins I would cover 3.8 kms accordting to that. Mind you on a flat surface I could probably get closer to 5 in that time. You would have to run about 12 km/h to get that kind of time. What speed and distance do you train at now?
  • activemom
    activemom Posts: 18 Member
    Options

i have to say that 25 minutes is pretty fast. i am definately an "average" runner and when i was peaking (marathon training for a "non runner") i won my age group in a 5K in 26 minutes. you have nothing to compare for you.............so see how the first goes and you can set a goal for your next 5K!

seriously leave your watch at home and consider crossing the finish line a HUGE victory! let us know! good luck!
  • LMac423
    Options
    30 minutes + .... 25 mins is not right! I am a serious runner and my PR in a 5k is 27 minutes and that race I placed 3rd in my age group. 30 minutes is roughly a 10-ish minute per mile pace. Good luck and have FUN!!! =))
  • LMac423
    Options
    I should say a PR is a personal record =)
  • CalorieNinja
    Options

i have to say that 25 minutes is pretty fast. i am definately an "average" runner and when i was peaking (marathon training for a "non runner") i won my age group in a 5K in 26 minutes. you have nothing to compare for you.............so see how the first goes and you can set a goal for your next 5K!

seriously leave your watch at home and consider crossing the finish line a HUGE victory! let us know! good luck!

LOL I didn't claim to know I was just saying thats what most sites were saying when I googled "novice racer time 5k" I am still training for a 5k (doing my first May 7th) and well I will be happy just to finish it without dying :) haha
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Last spring a few of us from my office competed in our first ever 5K. Times varied greatly, the ones a bit older than you finished in 30-35 minutes. The ones way older than you who walked/ran finished in 40-45 minutes. Some who walked finished in about 60 minutes. The main thing is that we all finished. Don't worry about your time, you'll have plenty of chances to improve it, just make sure you finish.

Beware of getting caught up in the competition. Trying to run faster than people I thought I should beat got me out of MY race and into their race and cost me time in the end.
  • merguson
    merguson Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm currently doing c25k and I have a goal of running a 5k in May. Just wanted to say goodluck to you!!
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Last spring a few of us from my office competed in our first ever 5K. Times varied greatly, the ones a bit older than you finished in 30-35 minutes. The ones way older than you who walked/ran finished in 40-45 minutes. Some who walked finished in about 60 minutes. The main thing is that we all finished. Don't worry about your time, you'll have plenty of chances to improve it, just make sure you finish.

Beware of getting caught up in the competition. Trying to run faster than people I thought I should beat got me out of MY race and into their race and cost me time in the end.

I find that the adrenaline/race atmosphere helped my time. My first 5K was around 34mins, but like everyone has said, running is between you and yourself. Enjoy, I guarantee you'll get hooked like I did!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first at the end of March, and I'll be happy with about 36 minutes... which would be around 5mph.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options

• loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    Newfiedan-I havent really been training. I finished the Couch to 5K program at the end of January. After this race, I'll start working on my time.

Thank You Everyone for your Advice!

Im going to listen to what most of you said and just enjoy the race and finish it. I'll let you know how I did tomorrow!
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    Good luck with your run

Personally I wouldnt worry about a time , just finishing it would be an achievement.
  • frogetmenot
    Options
    Good luck tomorrow! Don't beat your self up if you don't finish, let us all know how it went ! :bigsmile:
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    YAY! I ran my 1st 5k race this morning. I finished in 30 mins 3 secs. It wasnt too bad but that cold air, fog, inclines and a couple of stomach cramps had me thinking I wasnt going to be able to run the entire time. However, I just kept telling myself to push through it and I did!