P90X and a Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Just picked up P90X and was wondering if I absolutely need a heart rate monitor. My boyfriend and I both would like to do the program together and really would like to avoid dropping $80 on two of these if we don't really need them to excel at the program!

Replies

• Endershadow
    Endershadow Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    No you don't need one. I did my first round without one. It does make it easier entering calories on mfp but you could also just take your own pulse every now and then...or just estimate with the "circuit training". Other than that, if you are breathing too hard, pause the video and take a break! Its also up to you to make sure you push hard enough throughout the workout!

You also don't need a mat or yoga block.
  • kathleen0211
    kathleen0211 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the response Endershadow!

Right now we're trying to ease ourselves into a little shape by using Barry's Bootcamp (20 minute workout, alternates upper and lower body every day) until we decide to get into p90x hot and heavy. Will either be the 15th of this month or the first of March, trying to decide still and want to make sure we have everything we need to stick to the diet and the workout. We're both decently overweight and its pretty easy to tell if we need to slow it up some. We've done Barry's Bootcamp for two days now and we've both struggled pretty hard, some of the workouts being flat unable to do it. I've skimmed a few of the p90x videos and I love how they have a more adaptable workout for those of us who are out of shape and can't go hardcore with it.
  • Endershadow
    Endershadow Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would try each workout once before starting to get your body ready for p90x. It'll get rid of some of that first-week soreness and get you familiar with all the moves so you don't have to watch tony before each workout. Remember, if it's too much, you don't have to do the whole workout. Stop early or take breaks whenever.