Diet Trends

Options
Hello All,
I thought it would be fun and maybe beneficial for some if we list different types of diets we have tried and give our experiences.

For me, I've never had the money to buy into Weight Watchers, LA Weight Lose, etc. Most of my trials have come from buying exercise DVDs. I have tried Julian Michaels' 30 day shred (pretty tough) and Zumba (very fun). I have continued with the zumba and it's very beneficial.

next...:)

Replies

• ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I never tried anything (dieting) before this... :smile:

I went straight from my old lifestyle (boo, hiss) right into this new one, and I'm never going back. Simple I know, right?
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I once did that strange Cabbage Soup diet and it did actually work for me, as I had 10 pounds to lose fast at that time so I could attend a high school reunion. Of course, those pounds and many more came right back on when I stopped. Don't recommend that one to anyone!
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Ive used Advocare.

It was GREAT!! I lost 10 pounds in two weeks! My brother and my mom and some other people I know had great results as well, and we have all kept it off. However I couldn't afford it any longer! If I had the money, I would totally go for it again!
  • little_miss_very_bad
    little_miss_very_bad Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've done the Carol Vorderman's 28 day detox diet a few times, and have always lost weight and felt better, even without exercise. I have learnt to incorporate some of the healthier eating principals into my daily diet so each time I have done the diet, I haven't lost as much weight as I did the first time round (I think I lost about a stone in the 4 weeks first time round, whilst not doing any additional exercise). I think it is a great pick-me-up if you're feeling sluggish, especially after Christmas and the new year, which is when I do it.

BTW is the 30 day shred workout worth investing in? Did it help you lose weight and was it enjoyable?
    xx
  • moodykat
    moodykat Posts: 3
    Options
    I tried Nutrisystem for awhile. Worked pretty well but couldn't eat anything outside "their foods" and it's REALLY expensive. Besides all the failed tryings of endless diet pills/drinks/powders/NONSENSE...nothing works as well as good ol healthy diet and exercise =)

But being a vegetarian for 13 years helps too!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I've never been overweight so not sure if my results are enough but I know the WW points in my head inside and out. My mom did it years ago and I photo copied the points value – you don’t need to spend money to do WW unless you need the group support and you can find that here or on other sites. If I wanted to watch what I was eating I followed that years before all these calorie counting websites came out. I still count pts along with calories since its in my head and so much easier to count points once you have it memorized.

I tried the grapefruit tied a few months ago (its just juice or ½ grapefruit before each meal and no carbs not even fruit) just to be a guinea pig but only lasted 4 of the 12 days, lost 5 lbs in that time, mostly water weight and put it back on once I stopped eating 800 calories a day - duh. I just wanted to try it but having no carbs really, really takes a toll on your emotions and energy. I don't recommend. Grapefruit diet is probably a lot like the raw food diet. One person on here lost 30 lbs in a month (and now in a plateau duh cause her body is starving) and sounds like a cult leader here on MFP, scary posts but interesting recipe site. Tutti Fruity Coleslaw was pretty

Yea, Nutrisystem costs are ridiculous considering in my household my husband and I spend less than $250 a month on groceries (veggies/fruit/chicken/beef/salmon/crackers and otherm misc. snacks + LOTS of Diet Pepsi) while Nutrisystem costs $350 for ONE person andsooooooo full of sodium! Plus, they still want you to buy your own fruits and veggies so what, $400+ for one person? Crazy!
  • amyslay
    amyslay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have done a few different fad diets, and even tried Alli, but the one I had real success on was LA weight Loss. I lost 80lbs in 6 months, why because they taught me portion control and eating with in all the food groups. I have gained most of it back after have my daughter and poor eating habits. I still employee some of the tips they gave me….but man did it coast $$$$
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    tried nutrisystem b/c it was on special. some of the meals are tasty and then there's the rest...lol
    it did reinforce correct portion size for me, especially on cereals. however i live on a budget. i'm a vet, so i use the VA's MOVE program and try to attend meetings once a week.
  • johnsoag
    johnsoag Posts: 59
    Options
    Hi,

I've done the Carol Vorderman's 28 day detox diet a few times, and have always lost weight and felt better, even without exercise. I have learnt to incorporate some of the healthier eating principals into my daily diet so each time I have done the diet, I haven't lost as much weight as I did the first time round (I think I lost about a stone in the 4 weeks first time round, whilst not doing any additional exercise). I think it is a great pick-me-up if you're feeling sluggish, especially after Christmas and the new year, which is when I do it.

BTW is the 30 day shred workout worth investing in? Did it help you lose weight and was it enjoyable?
    xx

I was rough, I won't lie. But i tend to try to make everythng fun, so it's do-able. But it is very fast-paced and intense - i won't lie, I had to do the level 1 for awhile before I could move up.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hello All,
    I thought it would be fun and maybe beneficial for some if we list different types of diets we have tried and give our experiences.

For me, I've never had the money to buy into Weight Watchers, LA Weight Lose, etc. Most of my trials have come from buying exercise DVDs. I have tried Julian Michaels' 30 day shred (pretty tough) and Zumba (very fun). I have continued with the zumba and it's very beneficial.

next...:)

After having my first baby 23 years ago, I bought a weightwatchers book which had the calories for a vast number of foods and drinks in it, I went on 1000 calories - yes 1000 calories - per day diet, exercised twice per week with aerobics and upped it to threee times per week when my weight loss slowed down. I was teetotal in those days, so alcohol was not an issue. I lost 36lbs in 3 months and the weight only went back on when I fell pregnant 18 months later with my second baby. I have to say however, to go on a 1000 calories per day diet, you need an iron will and if you are prone to snacks you will not complete it as your calories will all be used up with snack foods leaving none available for meals and before anybody comes out with "starvation mode" - In the three months I was on that diet, I never went into any starvation mode and was never ill on it either.

This time around, I am on 1200 calories per day and have lost 14lbs in five weeks, I have another 28lbs to go, I am completely satisfied with it and love MFP! :laugh:
  • Trainhard911
    Trainhard911 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can tell you about discounts you can get if you want to use Advocare products again, just let me know.