Early Birds/Night Owls

misspenny762
misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
Would like to know something. Well, our bodies burn more calories awake than asleep, right? So on those days where life forces us to get up early or stay up late for whatever reason (today I woke up at 4am to go to my dad's work with him) are we allowed to consume any extra cals? It would make sense to me... after all, these extra hours mean extra hours to get hungry in between meals. But I don't want to eat extra if I really can't. Thoughts?

Replies

• Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    That is a very good question that I am unsure the answer of. However I would like to say you must remember to get a full 8hrs of sleep to let your body rest and recover.
  • winw
    winw Posts: 15
    Sorry, but that doesn't fly. The extra calories that you expend by being "up and about" rather than sleeping are just calories that you burn. They might help you lose an extra ounce today. It may be that if you do it all the time, you should go back to goal setting and re-evaluate your answer to how active you are. Your goal calories are based on your beginning/current weight and your level of activity. If you are truly more ACTIVE during that time at your father's work, then maybe you get an adjustment there, but not for just being awake.

More seriously, tho. Is it a bit troubling that you are thinking that way? Are you hungry all the time? Are you eating your exercise calories already? Are you getting enough exercise? Are you spreading out your "meals" to cover the entire day - regardless of how long that day is? Or, are you trying to justify eating more than you should... aka, cheating?

As overeaters, we can always find an excuse. Don't let yourself fall into THAT trap! Good luck! Keep up the good work.
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Whoa, not making an excuse! It was just an honest question.
  • Kamixa
    Kamixa Posts: 18
    I've noticed that whe I get up earlier, it sometimes messes with my body's eating schedulle too. I'm wanting all of my other meals earlier than usual because breakfast was so early in the day. I'd suggest eating something nice and filling for breakfast (if your stomach can handle it), or maybe pack some healthy snacks for when you're at your dad's work to tide your hunger.
This discussion has been closed.