steel oats??

Options
I keep reading on MFP posts that steel oatmeal is much better for u than quick oats, but when I went food shopping yesterday, I didn't see any in the store. Do they sell it in the US or is it strictly an overseas (depending on where u r) thing?? I would like to find some. For the mean time, I got grits, cuz that's really low in cal and fat....AND I LOVE GRITS!!!

Replies

• jamebugg
    jamebugg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have found them here in the U.S. They were on the bottom shelf below the instant oatmeal in a canister. This was at "Food City" in Tennesse (don't live there, but was there on vacation). I'm guessing they would be easiest to find at a natural grocery store like Whole Foods. They are very chewy and yummy! :smile:
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    I have seen them at Kroger in VA. I *think* they were in the baking section but don't quote me ;), maybe they were in the oatmeal section. Hmm, I remember seeing them on the top shelf, not near eye level - guess it's not a convienence item huh?

So, yes they are sold in the US...just can't remember exactlyt what aisle I saw them in.
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    Definitely available in the US. I see at the grocery store all the time. Steel cut oats. This is pretty widely available brand: http://www4.netrition.com/mccanns_oats_page.html . But there are many kinds Even Quaker.
  • Fit2_T
    Fit2_T Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I found them in the "health foods" section of our local HYVEE store. It is a part of the store that has the vitamins and whey protein and non-gluten food items, etc.

I like them but you have to cook them for about 15-20 minutes.
  • might4
    might4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Most grocery stores around here carry it both in the oatmeal section and the "natural/organic" section. Health Food stores would carry it as well.

**Edit** and around here is Tampa,FL
  • bettyandretti
    Options
    We found some in the Kroger Organic Foods section.
  • mollyt37
    mollyt37 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live but in Texas HEB stores sell steel oats. It's in the cereal/oatmeal section.
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My store (Giant food in Maryland ) sells it alongside the "rolled" and instant oats as McCann's Irish Oats or Quaker makes a steel-cut version in a squat round navy blue cannister. Sometimes they will sell the Irish oatmeal in the "Ethnic" or international section.

http://i4.peapod.com/c/GN/GNY7B.jpg

http://i4.peapod.com/c/GB/GB2QI.jpg

I just made some baked steel-cut oats with applesauce and raisins yesterday in the crock pot. It was really delicious and satisfying. Hope you find it! I see that Netgrocer.com sells it online and will deliver:

http://shop.netgrocer.com/shop.aspx?&sid=47030154&sid_guid=01fbee89-f3f0-4b94-b8cf-02a3c4a58087&strid=2D462&shopurl=search.aspx&k=steel-cut oats&ns=1
  • oOLiveYourLifeOo
    Options
    Steel cut v. rolled is just a matter of preference. They both end up with the same amount of calories because their nutritional information doesn't really change (just the serving size!). McCann's Irish Oats are amazing (steel cut) and they make them in instant and cook yourself. The downfall to steel cut oats are they take longer to cook BUT they have more cholesterol lowering soluble fiber AND they keep you fuller for a longer period of time because they take longer to digest (because of the fact that they are unprocessed).
  • lmarcott
    lmarcott Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've seen them in the US. Go to the customer service desk and ask, they should point you in the right direction.
  • jpleasant
    Options
    If your grocery does not carry them, try a health food store. They are very good for you but you have to get used to them. They are not soft and fluffy like regular oatmeal. I mix in some yogurt and fresh or frozen berries. I buy McCann's steel cut oatmeal.
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    ty EVERYONE!!! Wait until I send the hubby to the store for THAT one....he had NO CLUE what I was talking about yesterday! LOL I just like sending him to the store for me, just to see if he actually listens! LMBO!!!
  • Justpeachy78
    Options
    I just made some baked steel-cut oats with applesauce and raisins yesterday in the crock pot. It was really delicious and satisfying. Hope you find it! I see that Netgrocer.com sells it online and will deliver:

that sounds delish. I will have to try that.

Mine are right down the street at a local grocery store (Ingles) in the oatmeal section. McCanns oatmeal or something another.

p.s I LOVE grits too and eat them at least 2 days a week. If you buy the quick grits that have a few ingredients its not too bad for you. Just avoid the instant packets of grits:smile:
  • Justpeachy78
    Options
    ty EVERYONE!!! Wait until I send the hubby to the store for THAT one....he had NO CLUE what I was talking about yesterday! LOL I just like sending him to the store for me, just to see if he actually listens! LMBO!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I sent my hubby one time for ground flaxseed to put in my oatmeal and the the poor guy said nobody at the grocery store had a clue to what he was talking about.
  • oOLiveYourLifeOo
    Options
    Check out http://www.mccanns.ie/index.html for some yummy recipes that include steel cut oats!