Good Cardio Exercise That Doesn't Involve The Legs?

Options
A little background. I have not run in 15 years and yesterday I did W1D1 of the C25K Running Program. So now today, my legs are pretty darn sore. I am not sure if I should do my other exercise which is a ski machine or elliptical. I don't want to injure a leg and have to quit the C25K.

So, is there anything I can do for cardio without using my legs and just using my upper body?

Looking for interesting ideas..

Thanks in advance... :happy:

Replies

• cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    good luck with c25k. i did week 3 day 1 today and my legs are also killing me! be sure to stretch after!

perhaps the rowing machine? very little impact on the legs?
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    maybe shadow boxing or something of the sort?
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great aerobic exercise that burns a lot of calories.
  • kyhad29
    Options
    cross punches legs shoulder width apart and alternate crossing, also rowing machine if you go to the gym :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I know you are looking for a cardio workout, but if your legs are actively sore, you might want to look into just having a serious stretching day. I personally enjoy yoga for this, if only because its a progression- but you can hit up like Runners World and get a list of stretches you could/should do and just put in a solid 1/2 hr 45 min of really stretching out your sore muscles. Your legs will thank you.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    maybe shadow boxing or something of the sort?

I was going to suggest this as well. You can also do windmills and arm circles. I think it would be a good idea to do some light stretches on those legs and maybe take a moderately-paced walk just to keep the muscles warm so they don't get super-tight tomorrow. But like my dad always said, if it hurts to do that, don't do that. Take care!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Throwing some jabs and punches at a quick speed can get your heart rate up. I would follow something similar to p90x's Kempo where you combine a series of jabs, hooks, uppercuts, and cross punches.

If available, the rowing machine is also a great option.

Good luck with your training!
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    like the others said do something like Cardio Kickboxing. You basically just do different bunches and your legs just pivot a little bit or you could keep them stationary so you dont have to move them. What about skipping? Yes you are using your legs but is more in an up and down motion and most of the work is done by your arms.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the C25K. Took me a minute to figure out the acronym. I am working on a C2HalfM. :) My half marathon is at the end of March. I know what you mean about not wanting to do too much other leg-based cardio. Personally, I like doing the upper-body dvds from the p90x series. Some stretching Yoga also feels nice on tight legs and hip flexers.

I would also suggest that you get some walking time in. I think it helps to "walk out tight muscles" on your off days. Nothing stenuous, but just a get your legs moving to keep them loose.

Good Luck!!!

--Carter
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    My dad has diabetes and poor circulation in his legs and can't walk alot. He does this machine at the gym that is like a bike for your arms. You sit in the seat and pedal the pedals with your arms. don't know if your gym has one.

I have been doing the c25k too and I alternate with the treadmill and wii fit. I have never run before and my legs don't bother me.
  • RatBoyGL
    RatBoyGL Posts: 100
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!!

I like them all. :wink:
  • hendricksonpower
    Options
    Boxing while sitting down. It was on the biggest loser. Its actually fun and hard. Get some music that is up beat and go at it. Just a thought
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else mentioned this but what about using a bicycle? It is using your legs I realize but it's a lot gentler as obviously it's zero impact- if you have issues with joints it still might not be a great solution but otherwise it's an awesome alternative.