Healthy Super Bowl Food?

Options
I Was talking with my sister-in-law last night about snacks we can bring for the game today at my mother-in-law's. We agreed that healthy will be best and came up with a lot of great ideas. I just now got an e-mail that said we're having the following: green chili stew, bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers, corn for salsa, meatballs, little smokies, pigs n blankets, sauces, veggies for salsa, fritos and bean dip (2), beans for salsa, and tortilla chips. Some of this stuff is good but the majority is high fat or high sugar. I don't really like the protein options that will be there. So I'm not sure what I'll eat. I did P90X Plyometrices this morning so I'm not worried about calories or anything like that but, with the exception of a few things nothing sounds that appetizing.
I'm kinda mad that with my sister-in-law, mother-in-law, and a good friend trying to loose weight and get healthy and these were the best options?! Those things were chosen so "it wouldn't take long after church putting things together". I'm sorry but there has got to be healthier options than this junk!

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Eat something healthy before you go and/or take some of your own snacks in your purse to eat if you don't want to have all of the higher fat temptations.
  • audreyyrose
    Options
    maybe run to the grocery store and buy a fruit platter and a veggie platter. and grab some hummus and pita chips too.
  • rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    Options
    Bring yourself a salad of your choice and choose something from their menu that is of interest to you and let the rest go. Also if you want bring a fruit platter (strawberries, pineapple, honeydew melon or cantaloupe and grapes) this way you have your dessert. Never let some else's choices bring you down. Hope this helps.
  • 1ofthegang
    1ofthegang Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am having it at my house this year and I am making tzatziki with fresh veggies, low fat stuffed peppers, chips and salsa. I obviously can't account for what other people are bringing but at least I know I have a few "healthier" options. It is days like these that can make or break a diet...
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Make a few things to add to it...Like chicken on skewers. Take a few 100 calories pre packed bags of chips to dip into the sauces/salsa etc..The menu to be honest does not sound that bad...Better then what I am headed into!
  • lucylorelei
    lucylorelei Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm headed to one with chili, so I'll have that (and try to control myself on the toppings). It's the desserts that get me! I made a pact with my roommate: We aren't eating any dessert that isn't homemade, from scratch. Knowing the group, that probably means no dessert for me tonight!

But I have dark chocolate chickpea cupcakes and red wine waiting for me when I get home.
  • Austin179
    Options
    Oh my goodness ~ I'm just now seeing this post. I guess I am really glad I didn't see it yesterday while I was working so hard to create a nice Super Bowl evening for everyone. I feel totally blindsided by this post..I am not used to reading negative things about me personally (at all) much less where other people are able to read them. This makes me so sad I'm in tears.

At this point in our lives while we are trying to start a new business we do not have very much money to work with; so we were doing the best we possibly could on as little as we possibly could. I try to look at the group at large I'm feeding and with 12 people total and only 4 trying to lose weight; I had to think beyond our weight loss for one meal. As it turned out I really believe that our chicken fajitas/bean salsa/picante salsa & fresh veggies were some healthy options ~ the bean dip/queso & chips were more for the other 8 people. We also had green tea as a drink which was healthy.

I know it is a hard struggle to lose weight; so please always feel free to bring a healthy choice for yourself if our options are too
    high in fat.Or talk to us in person so we know what you might like. That will never hurt our feelings............however; reading a post like this unfortunately does hurt feelings. Yes, I was in a hurry to throw something together after church. I had been at a meeting all day on Sat and didn't realize everyone was coming over until 6pm on Sat. That was my own mistake I know as I hadn't been tuned in to when the Super Bowl was!

All in all I think we had choices for everyone and it seemed like everyone had a very nice time together. I can't encourage you enough to talk to us in person next time and help us work out a healthy but yet affordable menu that all the family will enjoy.
    I know that sometimes we have to "let go" of what bothers us ~ God is a great listener ~ I would encourage you to let Him hear those frustrations and let others read only positive statements about your friends and family. You are loved dearly and we also want to always do our best to encourage and support you! :)
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. This was not an attack on you or any of the wonderful things you do for our little family and our whole crew. I was just frustrated in general that there are not more economical, quick and easy foods to fix.
    I understand that it was a last minute thing and what we had was great. I was mad that, with as much as we all struggle, choices are extremely limited. I am sorry. I didn't mention it because I know how hard you worked to put it together and didn't want to make it a big deal.
    I was looking for advice from MFP and did not intend for the tone to be so negative. Next time I'll keep it positive or keep it to myself. Again I'm sorry I hurt and enbarassed you. I hope you can forgive me.
  • Austin179
    Options
    Not to worry ~ I know sometimes when we write things it doesn't come across the same as when we say them.
    Love you and of course forgiven :)

Now go and have a great day :)