Need to work my abs.....

Options
Like all of us, I desperately need to work on my core, but just can't stand to! I've seen the 3 minute abs, which is not bad, I just have to do it!!!! Took my measurements today and I've lost inches from almost all the areas I measured before...with the exception of my belly! Oh well, I will get this figured out!

Replies

• novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Try planks. Working inverse muscles, those on your lower back, can be of great benefit. So planks and Egyptian crunches.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Just exercise! Don't focus so much on the abs right now. Most aerobic DVDs will also help the core in some way, at least the latest ones will. I know my Chalene Johnson TurboJam does. And its fun, too. Zumba does too. Just find some exercise that you enjoy.
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    yes planks are fantastic!!! in fact I think I will do some today. As your muscles get stronger you can do them on your toes but for now just do them on your knees. It still works your core muscles in a great way!!! good luck!!
  • rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    Options
    Try doing sit ups working your obliques at the same time. If you can get your hands on the video Slim in 6 Debbie Sibert shows you how to do them. They really work. Hope this helps
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I agree with the planks. Excellent for core strength. Also, yoga is wonderful for your core, because for many of the poses you have to really engage those core muscles to keep from falling over. Basic good posture will also help -- keep your tummy pulled in slightly and your back straight as much as you possibly can, and when you notice yourself slouching, pull yourself up straight again. Just doing that will help a lot for getting that core stronger.
  • 750legpress
    750legpress Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    And they seem to be the most sore the day after you work them....BUT, working your core will make you stand up straighter (naking you look taller and more slender) and honestly help your form when you're doing your weight training...

I absolutely DESPISE doing planks, but have found that they are VERY effective for me....and if your gym has a Bosu Ball, see if there is a trainer who is willing to teach you how to use that to help work your core (doing bicep curls while on it or doing your squats on it helps a lot!).

Pilates is phenomenal for working the core..there are some great Pilates DVDs out there...

And now it's time for me to practice what I preach!

Have a great day, I'm off to the gym :)
  • girl_brett
    girl_brett Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba, dancing and other workouts on my Kinect! I love the cardio things, just can't push myself for the abs! I also have a Kettlebell that I love! I know they have to be getting worked, but yeah definately not to the point of being sore the next day. I just have to push myself to do the 3 minute abs everyday. That seemed very effective and doesn't make you work on that at length. It consists og crunches, side plank one way, bicycle and side plank the other way. Just have to quit putting it off especially since I'm giving every other area a nice workout!
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba, dancing and other workouts on my Kinect! I love the cardio things, just can't push myself for the abs! I also have a Kettlebell that I love! I know they have to be getting worked, but yeah definately not to the point of being sore the next day. I just have to push myself to do the 3 minute abs everyday. That seemed very effective and doesn't make you work on that at length. It consists og crunches, side plank one way, bicycle and side plank the other way. Just have to quit putting it off especially since I'm giving every other area a nice workout!

How do you like Zumba on the kinect? I havent purchased a kinect yet just because I thought it was going to do more action type games and so far its been like the Wii..... I like Zumba though, have the dvd's, just not sure if its worth spending all that money yet...
  • 1ofthegang
    1ofthegang Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    PILATES!!!!! They work magic on those abs! I try to do a 20-30 min pilates video everyday. I really like "Weight Loss Pilates" with Acacia, its tough but my core is getting stronger and stronger! I get the video On Demand, but I am sure you can find that one or one like it that you like. Good luck!
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Do try plank. When I started I lasted less than 10 seconds. I worked on doing three sets of standard plank three times a week even though it was unpleasent. I can do a minute with no problem now and have moved on to side plank.

I found it made is easier when moving onto situps (well by easier I mean less painful).
  • jaimelynn01
    Options
    If you want to work your abs without knowing you are, try doing kickboxing! turbo jam is great fun! any kicking you do and punching works your core and your hip flexors and so you get a great ab workout and total body workout at the same time!
  • chrish1981
    Options
    Cardio, cardio, cardio!

Hubby has the same problem. Gotta lose the layer first, then tone up.

Jillian has a GREAT workout called 6 week, 6 pack. AWESOME!!