REACHING OUT

Options
HI EVERYONE, I AM NEW TO THE GROUP....... I HAVE A COUPLE QUESTIONS, IF ANYONE CAN HELP. SKIPPING BREAKFAST, EVERYTHING I READ SAYS DON'T DO IT. I AM FINDING THAT IF I EAT BREAKFAST I AM HUNGRY ALL DAY, GRAZING FOR SOMETHING TO SNACK ON. IF I SKIP BREAKFAST ( I DON'T NORMALLY FEEL HUNGRY TILL 10:30/11:00 ), AND HAVE A MEDIUM LUNCH, I AM PRETTY CONTENT TILL DINNER. THAT IS UNLESS COOKIES, CRACKERS, OR A SWEET TREAT CATCH MY EYE. THEN I STRUGGLE, BUT NOT BECAUSE I AM HUNGRY. WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST?

ALSO, I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE WATER ISSUE. DOES COFFEE, OR DIET SODA COUNT TOWARDS YOUR DAILY WATER INTAKE? I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO UP MY WATER INTAKE, BUT I FIND THAT I AM ON THE POTTY JUST ABAOUT EVERY HALF AN HOUR..... AHHHHH! :embarassed:

Replies

• Cheyanne
    Options
    HI EVERYONE, I AM NEW TO THE GROUP....... I HAVE A COUPLE QUESTIONS, IF ANYONE CAN HELP. SKIPPING BREAKFAST, EVERYTHING I READ SAYS DON'T DO IT. I AM FINDING THAT IF I EAT BREAKFAST I AM HUNGRY ALL DAY, GRAZING FOR SOMETHING TO SNACK ON. IF I SKIP BREAKFAST ( I DON'T NORMALLY FEEL HUNGRY TILL 10:30/11:00 ), AND HAVE A MEDIUM LUNCH, I AM PRETTY CONTENT TILL DINNER. THAT IS UNLESS COOKIES, CRACKERS, OR A SWEET TREAT CATCH MY EYE. THEN I STRUGGLE, BUT NOT BECAUSE I AM HUNGRY. WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST?

ALSO, I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE WATER ISSUE. DOES COFFEE, OR DIET SODA COUNT TOWARDS YOUR DAILY WATER INTAKE? I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO UP MY WATER INTAKE, BUT I FIND THAT I AM ON THE POTTY JUST ABAOUT EVERY HALF AN HOUR..... AHHHHH! :embarassed:
  • melman88
    Options
    well first off welcome to the site. obvioulsy, I don't know what you eat for breakfast. I would try to eat something more filling for breakfast. Try it and see how it works.
  • mggm12
    mggm12 Posts: 3
    Options
    water is water, caffiene and other additives deter from the benefits of water...so drink water!!!
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm not much of an early breakfast eater. I eat mine after I've done some chores already which helps. Then I am fine until my next meal without a problem. The problem with skipping it altogether is that you end up with low blood sugar and your body then needs a "quick fix" so you are susceptable (as you mentioned) to sweets and other unhealthy stuff.
    As for the water, the AMA says that it does not matter if it is contained in tea or coffee or anything else, that water counts. The one caution of course is that caffeine is a diuretic and so pulls some of that water out of your system more quickly which is why people think it is not useful as a part of your water count. The fact is that if you drink caffeine in moderation, it is not harmful to you; and your kidneys and other organs still benefit from the flushing of water through your system. Count it all if you want, though you might want to replace some of your regular tea/coffee/etc. with plain cold water just because it is the simplest and purest form of hydration.
    Cowboy
  • shae2205
    Options
    I find it hard to eat early in the morning as well as drinking water. The key to eating breakfast is by doing so you will burn more calories throughout the day. Breakfast is the MOST important meal of all.
    And as far as drinking water, sometimes (just for something of a little different taste) I add lemon juice to my water. Also a big fan of drinking out of a bottle, or water jug. That way I force myself to drink it all. I am also new to the site. I use to play college basketball, but have pretty much let myself go in the past few yrs:sad: But now that I am turning 30 this yr, I have tried to step it up a notch. Started the gym this past week and been getting up every morning before work. And I am going to try to sign up to attempt my first triathalon this yr..... So best wishes to you:smile:
  • amandastamey
    amandastamey Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Okay, eat 5-6 times a day, even if you have a small bowl of oatmeal or a boiled egg when you wake up to get your metabolism going! Going potty when you drink all the time is good, your flushing out your system, getting rid of all the toxins. It will get better once your body is used to your drinking tons of water plus your skin will look really great!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You need to set times that you can eat first. I eat 5-6 times per day, 7a, 10a, 12p, 3p, 6p, and if I am hungry I add a snack at 8p.

I have a hard time eatting breakfast early but I know I need to eat something because my body (and yours) has been fasting the entire time I was sleeping. So I go snack, breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. I eat a piece of toast with some peanut butter or an apple with a small glass of milk, something like that for my first meal of the day, then at 10, when I am a bit more awake, I eat cereal or an egg white omlet etc.

It will take a few weeks for your body to get used to the schedule. Plan on drinking a lot of water in between, but in about 10 days or so you will find that your body starts to get hungry around your "feeding" times.

Good luck, stick with it, you are making a great lifestyle change for a better you! :flowerforyou:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    First off let me tell you that I am not a doctor.
    But I work with a lot of them and I have done a lot of research on this.
    Good you are hungry during the day.
    You need to eat to lose weight and be able to keep it off, Fasting is not the answer but I think you got in on that so we will not go there.
    Your body burns so many calories being alive 1 a min in general.
    If you did not normally eat breakfast then your body was in starvation mode and had turned off all of the fat burning receptors.
    But when you ate, your body as saying OH BOY we can turn on the fat burning receptors again because we are not starving, So we will burn fat until we run out of energy and then we need to be fed again We will tell you when we need to eat. So, if you eat breakfast at 7:00 AM like I do, then yes by 10:00 you can stand to eat again. I normally eat a piece of FRESH fruit, or fruit with a cup of yogurt.
    Then by lunch I can stand to eat again. Today it was home made chicken noodle soup and a pear.
    then by 3:00 I can stand to eat again. Fruit or nuts are the late afternoon fair.
    Then when I get home at 5:15-5:30 another piece of fruit takes me to dinner, which tonight is grilled shrimp scampi, made Diann style :wink: Ahhhhh the wonders of Pam. Avocado salad and a glass of wine. (ONE GLASS OF WINE! Not 2, not the whole bottle, ONE!)
    Then about 8:00 a cup of yogurt and/or a piece of fruit, or if I was feeling the need for a treat a GOOD piece of chocolate. NOT HERSEY'S WAX CHOCOLATE. I MEAN GOOD COST MORE BUT WORTH IT CHOCOLATE.
    If you feed your body small meals through out the day you keep your fat burners on high.
    If you do not you have more tendency to eat like a bear that is going into hibernation and devour everything in site, your body then has no CHANCE of burning off those calories. And THAT is where we gain weight.
    I hope this helps.:flowerforyou:
    --Diann...
  • MissMe9669
    Options
    I used to think the same way that you did! Now I realize that I am hungry through out the day because when i eat breakfast...it gets my metabolism going... and well.. your body needs nutrition to keep going... So in the morning I eat 1 cup of Raisin Bran cereal w/ 1 cup of milk, and a banana.... on the way to work... I munch on an apple...about 11 ish I have a granola bar... it works! always try to snack on something healthy... fresh veggies and fruits have the least calories... fill you up the most... and make u feel fuller longer! Maybe add 1Tbsp of peanut butter...the protein will help as well!!

Good luck! Hang in there! I know you can do it!!!!!!
  • jm4810
    jm4810 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't have much interest in having breakfast either. I find, a cup of coffee with skim milk first thing in the mornig is very satisfying. Since they haven't passed any laws against skipping breakfast, at least not yet, don't worry about it. Try having a mid-morning snack to carry you to lunch. It works for me.
  • angemast
    Options
    I am new to this site, but wanted let you know what I have learned. I just joined a wieght loss challenge in my area and the topic on the week was water. In the flier that I have from a local weight loss clinic it had the following tip:

Fill a container each morning with your water for the day. Use it to drink, make juice or tea. When the container is empty you met your daily requirement. (Sparrow Weight Management)

Diet soda and coffee does not count towards your water intake.

I was not a breakfast eater either, but once I started my new program, I drink a protein shake for breakfast with an extra scoop of protein to help me stay fuller longer. The higher the protein in your breakfast the fuller you will stay.

I hope this helps a little. Good luck
  • Cheyanne
    Options
    Thanks for all the info, you guys are great. :wink:
  • lifesaver
    lifesaver Posts: 132
    Options
    I always get hungry if I eat breakfast, because my metabolism is working. Maybe have some fresh vegetables lying around so if you get hungry, you can munch on those!
  • vkybn
    vkybn Posts: 9
    Options
    Another thing that helps is to stop eating late in the evening (which is one of the bad habits I'm working on). If I don't eat past 7:00 or 8:00 p.m., then I am ready to eat in the a.m. And, while no, there is no law agaist skipping breakfast, if you're on this site because you want to lose weight, eating breakfast is one of the things that is going to help you accomplish that.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Ya just gotta try the eating breakfast thing - it really does make a difference. I usually try to eat a lot of protien in the AM (egg white/swiss cheese omelet). Plan a healthy snack mid-morning. Like an apple or something like that. :happy: