Vegetarian Recipes

Options
Hi all! Any fellow vegetarians out there? I'm looking for some yummy new vegetarian recipes :)! I've been wanting to find a good vegetarian sandwich recipe, so that I can take a sandwich to work for lunch. Any and all ideas are welcome :)!

Replies

• Nataliethin81
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. Have you tried pita pockets with hummus and veggies? That's one of my faves!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    What do you like?

My current favorite hot sandwich: portobello mushroom cap (roasted with a little balsamic vinegar), reheated at work with 1/2 T blue cheese crumbles. Put on a toasted english muffin, add a handful of spinach or salad greens.

Cold: 1/4 avocado, grated carrot, cucumber slices lettuce (you could add cheese to this)

Fancy: pan bagnat (recipe in The Greens cookbook, which is a little fancier than what I usually eat.)

Alternatives: I make "Curried Squash in a Roti" from The Vegetarian Times cookbook, but substitute potatoes for squash and peas for garbanzo beans (cause I don't like squash).... heat the filling and roll it into a whole wheat tortilla... it's great, and filling...

Another: a thin smear of pesto, slices of granny smith apple, a handful of spinach or mixed lettuces, on a hard roll (could add mozzerella and heat the sandwich, adding greens at the end.

In a pita: spinach, feta, cherry tomatoes and cucumber with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. OR dice a cucumber, tomato and green onion, add 2 T plain yogurt, a drizzle of olive oil, a bunch of cilantro, garlic, black pepper. Slide this plus salad greens into your pita.

Also: pizza toppings make a great sandwich, especially if you have access to a microwave or toaster oven.

And the Vegetarian TImes curried couscous salad recipe is pretty good in a pita...
  • dino_morgan
    dino_morgan Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My favorite vegetarian sandwich has:

1 whole wheat sub roll
    1 veggie cheese slice
    avocado
    bell peppers (red & green)
    tomato
    spinach
    cucumber
    zucchini
    sweet chile sauce

total it's about 350 calories, but it's so filling!
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I like to make wheat wraps with hummus and veggies, and then I use mustard or balsamic viniagrette for my dressing. :) I also like vanilla yogurt with fruit for breakfast, a snack, or a side dish.
  • Dreambodyreacher
    Options
    Hi! Im a new vegetarian (1 month in today)and heres a recipe that i am hoping to try sometime this month.

California Grilled Veggie Sandwich
    Amount: 4 servings
    Amount per Serving :Calories 393 Total Fat 23.8 Cholesterol :22mg
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/8 cup olive oil
    1 cup sliced red bell peppers
    1 small zucchini, sliced
    1 red onion, sliced
    1 small yellow squash, sliced
    2 (4-x6-inch) focaccia bread pieces, split horizontally
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions:Directions

In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, minced garlic, and lemon juice. Set aside in the refrigerator.
    Preheat the grill for high heat.Brush vegetables with olive oil on each side. Brush grate with oil. Place bell peppers and zucchini closest to the middle of the grill, and set onion and squash pieces around them. Cook for about 3 minutes, turn, and cook for another 3 minutes. The peppers may take a bit longer. Remove from grill, and set aside.
    Spread some of the mayonnaise mixture on the cut sides of the bread, and sprinkle each one with feta cheese. Place on the grill cheese side up, and cover with lid for 2 to 3 minutes. This will warm the bread, and slightly melt the cheese. Watch carefully so the bottoms don't burn. Remove from grill, and layer with the vegetables. Enjoy as open faced grilled sandwiches.

Taken from: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/California-Grilled-Veggie-Sandwich/Detail.aspx

Hope this HELPS!!