is it fat? or is it from...

Options
my fingers are fat! (though clearly so am i) but im wondering if its because I am over weight or if it was caused from me popping my fingers/knuckles. I know they say popping your knuckles is bad for you, and ive stopped doing it now, but could it some how make your fingers swell, or something? My mom used to tell me thats why my fingers were fat and i was just wondering if that is true or if that was a scare tactic to get me to stop.

Replies

• kyliedurnan
    kyliedurnan Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    it could be a mixture of both, but im fat and my fingers are fat too and ive never cracked my knuckless!
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've cracked my knuckles for 15 years and my fingers aren't larger or anything. :/ It may just be because you're retaining water and once you get further into your weight loss your fingers will shrink.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I'd say just a scare tatic. However, I do believe that it is possible that it can cause arthretis. Could be wrong thou.
  • Proudmumofboys
    Options
    I pop my knuckles everyday almost everyday! My hubby yells at me all of the time for doing it, But still my fingers are small..

Maybe it's water?
  • LisaGamerGirl
    Options
    it could be due to salt.
  • newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    when i lost weight my finger got smaller and my rings got loose. Samething happensto a lot of people they loose weight and thier fingers get smaller and they end up having to get smaller rings. i notice too when i don't drink enough water my rings get tighter. Some days they will spin on my fingers others the seem a little snug.
  • loriefolk
    Options
    I'd probably chalk it up to water retention :) JMO
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Cracking knuckles or popping joints is just a myth. Doing that just releases the carbon gas build-up that resides in them. Anatomy professors and doctors will tell you the same. That's why I know. So, if anything, it's just having large fingers. They'll get smaller as you lose weight.
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    The whole don't pop your knuckles or....thing is an old wives tail! Don't worry about it, when you lose weight, your fingers will shrink too
  • chilipeppers
    Options
    I agree with the salt thing! if you're getting too much sodium it can cause your feet and hands to swell (partially from water retention) check that out!
    they also swell naturally throughout the day, mine tend to be bigger in the morning and grandually slimmer throughout the day (my rings are a telltale sign).
  • meghan171
    Options
    I've been cracking my knuckles as long as I can remember.. in high school my ring finger was a size 4.5! Now it's about a 6.5 .. but still pretty small. Even when I was my heaviest, I still had pretty small fingers.
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I often have that problem when I gain a few pounds. But more often than not its from water retention or I way to much sodium that day! Cracking your nuckles would cause the nuckle to become inflammed not so much the entire finger!!