Food Diary...after the fact.

Options
I learned a HUGE lesson today. All week I have planned out my menu, logged it all in the night before and had a fantastic week. Today I blew it off, telling myself I would log everything in "later." Not the best plan, because now I am over by quite a bit. I obviously need to plan ahead, because I clearly do better when I don't have to think too much! LOL

Weekends are going to be a bit of a challenge. Any tips?

Replies

• juliabranstetter
    Options
    I dont plan but I log as I eat. It works now because Im a stay at home wife.( Im waiting for my massage license so I can start working.) For breakfast I go in my kitchen and decide what I want and look at the calories. I log the calories then eat. I do this with every meal so far and it works pretty good. I always eat a light breakfast, big lunch, and light supper.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Glad you found out and learned your lesson. I am a firm believer in planning out.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Ive done both, recording as I eat and recording ahead of time. Recording ahead of time works for me better because when I was recording when I eat I realised by dinner time I had far too many calories left to eat and if I didnt I wouldnt even hit the min. 1200calories! Which meant eating either really late before bed or not hitting calorie goals!

Now I will record everything in the morning and if anything changes slightly or I have a snack or two then its just a case of editing what Ive already input!
  • dlambert11
    dlambert11 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't have a menu planned out either. What I do is in the morning I make myself one of about 3 different breakfasts. I know how much and roughly how many calories are in each. It gives me variety which is something I need to not get bored. And then I log it. I then know about how many calories I have left for each meal. I find I don't have many problems because I try to stay very conscious about what I am eating. I try to stick with three meals and one evening snack. I can't let myself munch or not keep track because then I will surely over eat.

One thing I do plan is when I eat out. I try to always look at the restaurant's menu online (if possible) or think about how many calories I need to be eating so I know what I am getting when I go out. It helps a ton.

Chalene Johnson says that no one enjoys or wants to count calories, but it necessary just like balancing a check book.

Hope this helps!! Goodluck!!
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    OK...here's what I do...see if it works for u.
    Breakfast: 100 Cal snack bar & coffee or tea
    am snack: 100 snack pack and 2 glasses of water (one lg cup actually)
    workout in between
    Lunch: Lean cuisine or WW frozen meal
    PM snack 100 snack pack and 2 glasses of water (again one lg cup)
    Dinner:whatever is on the menu for the night as long as its healthy
    bedtime snack: 100 calorie snack pack (I have to eat before bed otherwise I wake up with the shakes cuz my blood sugar is too low)

It seems to be working out beautifully for me. I've lost almost 10 lbs in 2 weeks (well actually 12 days since i started this) Add me as a friend and check out my food diary.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    My diary already has tomorrow's breakfast and lunch in it with the remaining calories alloted to my evening meal and snacks.
    If I want to eat more I have to go to the gym and hit a certain calorie count.
    I stick to what I've planned because it's in there and psychologically is done and the remainder motivates me to exercise.