sodium intake...

Options
I just started my weight loss journey and joined this site. This site is awesome! it give me modivation to eat healthy and exercize. Its alot easier to keep track and stay on track with the tools on here. my only problem is, i never really knew how much sodium is in foods. I have high blood pressure and need to keep my sodium low to have low pressure. I always seem to go over my sodium limit because sodium is in everything!! How can i keep it to my goal? my goal is 2000-2500. who knew tomatoes had so much sodium??? grrr......

Replies

• gina205
    gina205 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I avoid canned and processed foods. I read all the labels. I find they are very helpful. Drink lots of water! Fresh is best.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You must be eating canned tomatoes????

You need to avoid processed foods---they almost always have sodium added for flavor. Stick to whole foods!
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to limit my sodium. Home cooked meals from scratch seem ok: I never use salt when cooking pasta, veg etc and I have switched to low salt stock cubes as I make a lot of soups and the usual cubes are very sodium heavy.

Where I really see it is if I have any bread, whether it's sliced bread french stick pittas or crumpets, they all push the sodium right up,

My diary's open fro friends if you want to swap ideas

Louise
  • StephieAmber
    Options
    There are canned items that have no salt added. Make sure to read labels and choose those. (Aylmer has a no salted added canned tomato line...and lots of organic canned beans have no salt added too)

And like all other posters stated, cut out processed foods. It's PACKED with sodium. I have my sodium level set to 1500mg/day and I rarely go over that...but I also make almost all of my food at home and I've cut out added salt.

Pretty soon you'll get to the point where you can taste the buckets of salt they put into things and you won't be able to stomach it anymore :)

Good look to you :)
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have a major issue with my sodium intake as well, simply because I do used a lot more canned food items. They are easier for me to use, and in some cases, I believe taste better than do fresh items. It is a struggle, but if you look at labels, and try to choose items that not only have lower calories but lower sodium, it usually helps. But also, drinking water to counteract that sodium might help until new habits form. Like you, I am a work in progress on this one...
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    If you can't or don't buy fresh- try frozen. You need to watch the labels but for the most part frozen veggies don't have salt added. They add TONS of sodium to cans to preserve it (It's one of the things that will let it keep for a few years.) Like a previous poster stated- breads will definately raise your sodium intake. Don't take everything you log on here at face value either. Definately compare a few entries to make sure they're on par. Fresh tomatoes should have VERY little salt.

I also hate to be a Debbie Downer BUT if you've got high blood pressure- most doctors (The American Heart Association and now the FDA) recommend an intake of sodium around 1500 mg. My Diary's not perfect by any means but I try to keep my sodium levels under 2000. Feel free to take a peak and get some ideas.

:drinker:
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I have cut out a lot of foods I loved because of sodium (olives, pickles, peppers); I eat fresh as much as possible and do not cook with salt. If we eat out (which is very rare), I tell them to steam veggies totally plain, not even with salt & not to add any extra salt to anything.
    I've never been much of a salt person, but it affects me a lot (even though I drink a lot of water - my body just doesn't like salt). For those that feel salt adds flavour to items, it is because your body is addicted to sodium and your taste buds have been tricked to enjoy processed foods rather than fresh natural foods. I guarantee if you take 1 month, cut out processed foods and anything with added salt, no matter how low to added salt content is, your taste buds will realize that "wow - this tastes good!". After that, the next time you eat something processed or with added salt, you will "taste" it and not enjoy it (I say 30 days since it takes that long to reprograme your body & mind-set).
    Don't get me wrong, I still go near to over or over on sodium when I eat chips or on the occasion, certain pre-packed items or when I make my famous potato wedges: but I am more mindful since I know the repurcussions & I really don't enjoy the after-tastes much.
    When you grocery shop - read ALL nutrition labels: it may take you longer (it takes me about 1 1/2 hours to do a regular shop since I have to read all labels due to food allergies & manufacturers who change their nutrition & ingredients all the time), but it's worth it when you start to eat healthier: your body & mind will thank you :flowerforyou:
  • CINDYLOU1966
    CINDYLOU1966 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone . this really helps .. I am been working on it my self and it hard to advoid so much is put in our food .. well we can beat it hugs and thanks
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    I just got put on a low carb and 1500 mg sodium plan (due to PCOS and Kidney issues). I saw a dietitian to help me get on track. The main point she made is to say away from the grab and go foods. All the pre-packaged foods are full of sodium. The plan is to make most of my food from scratch, make big quantities and package the left overs for lunch. Make your own trail mix, snack packs and no tv dinners. Check out the MyPyramid.gov for better ideas on what to eat in each food group. Its a trail and error. If you find that you ate a food with high sodium them swap it out.

From Earth to Mouth. Cut out the middle man. I'll send a friend request so we can keep an eye on each others low sodium foods.
  • jc46
    jc46 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can add the sodium content column on your food log--under the profile section, I think!
  • sweetgirl3283
    Options
    I have actually added it to my log...it does help me keep track of it, but when i see foods its like," why in the world does it have to have so much sodium?"
  • sweetgirl3283
    Options
    my other question is, if a recipie calls for 2 28 oz of diced tomatoes, how do you go natural with that?
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You get fresh tomatoes and weight them out on a scale. One of the biggest helps I have in my kitchen is a digital scale so I can weigh out my portions. Remember, just because a recipe says to use this or that in this quanitity doesn't mean it's mandatory. Play with recipes, alter them so they suit your needs :smile:
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    my other question is, if a recipie calls for 2 28 oz of diced tomatoes, how do you go natural with that?

There are a couple of brands of canned goods that have diced or crushed tomatoes with no salt added. You'll want to check the labels--the only ingredients should be 'tomatoes' and 'water'.

Keep in mind if you're going to stock up that these brands will not keep as long so check expiry dates (should be stamped on the top or bottom of the can).
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    if you are buying canned tomatoes you can choose the no salt add on

when buying anything processed try to find the low sodium version
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

Pretty soon you'll get to the point where you can taste the buckets of salt they put into things and you won't be able to stomach it anymore :)

Good look to you :)

Now thats the truth!!
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you have a garden, you can dip fresh tomatoes in hot water for a minute and remove the skins. Then pack them in freezer bags. Take out of the freezer when you need a canned tomoato for cooking. The consistancy will be the same and no salt!
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have actually added it to my log...it does help me keep track of it, but when i see foods its like," why in the world does it have to have so much sodium?"

I know, I love cottage cheese, and can't believe the amt of salt in it, been trying to watch my salt, unfortunately went over again today ::SIGH:: kept the calories down but not the sodium. .. it's a hard battle
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If you need to use canned tomatoes go for a high quality proper Italian brand. In the UK we can get Napolia, which I always use just cause they taste better, but the sodium per can is "trace". There is no salt on the ingredients list, only tomatoes, tomato juice and citric acid. About 50% dearer than a supermarket own brand, but they are still no an expensive ingredient to a recipe.

Louise
  • sweetgirl3283
    Options
    If you have a garden, you can dip fresh tomatoes in hot water for a minute and remove the skins. Then pack them in freezer bags. Take out of the freezer when you need a canned tomoato for cooking. The consistancy will be the same and no salt!

can you do that with store bought tomatoes? i dont have a garden