How to store half an avocado?!

Options
MrsLg
MrsLg Posts: 103 Member
Sorry for the random question for my first post! Whenever I try to store the left over half of an avocado it always turns brown and horrible. Even in an air tight bag in the fridge. Is there a magic way to store it?

Replies

• VidaMia
    VidaMia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Leave the pit in the center and it will keep!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I know with apples, if you put some lemon juice on them they won't turn brown, and oddly enough you can't even taste the lemon juice. Might be worth a try with the avocados? Or maybe try googling to see if lemon juice works on avocados, too? Either way, good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Some people say if you leave the stone in it stops it turning that weird colour. The stone certainly keeps the bit round the stone green but for me at least the restg turned a funny colour.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    you should only store if for a couple of days, but the brown yucky stuff is really only on the surface. I scrape it off with a butter knife and its just as delicious as if I just cut it. Also, lemon juice helps it not brown.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Yes! Save the empty skin from the other half, and put it over the cut. Put it in a plasic bag and suck the air out or wrap it in foil. Should be good. If not, you can always thin slice off that edge.

Here are some more avocado tips:

http://momvsfood.blogspot.com/2010/09/all-about-avocado.html
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    leave the pit in the part you are planning to store. I am the only one in my house to eat avocado so I slice between an 8th to a 4th off the pit at a time and it keeps about a week in a plastic bag. the less i cut and expose to air the better.
  • nessafly
    Options
    I leave the pit side of the avacado for leftovers, squeeze a few drops of lemon over top, put the used skin over that & then wrap with plastic wrap tightly... hardly ever have a dark top that way :smile:
  • aalexander0607
    aalexander0607 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A little boy I work for in-home eats lots of avocado. His mom always leaves the rest in the skin and puts it in those snap Tupperware or plastic container things in the fridge. Always looks okay to me!
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I agree with all three posters - use lemon juice, leave the pit, scrape off the brown stuff, and make sure you eat it within two days.
  • MrsLg
    MrsLg Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! Thanks a lot everyone.
  • kiuney
    kiuney Posts: 68
    Options
    Thanks for the question and the answers! I love avocados but I'm the only one that eats them and therefore avoid buying them because I always seem to waste part of it.
  • pobbles
    Options
    As a chef I can confirm this way works!

Sprinkle cut avocados with lemon juice, lime juice or white vinegar, then store in an airtight container. Exposed fruit doesn't last as long as intact fruit, so use within two days.
  • Melky06
    Options
    vinegar, white balsamic is good. I would keep the pit in and splash some vinegar on it and then foil. It will keep 2-3 days.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Can avocado be frozen? That is, after it's been cut
  • fitfocusedfamily
    fitfocusedfamily Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! Thanks a lot everyone.

I would add one more thing, do not store it in the refrigerator. I've found by putting it in the fridge it still turns brown, even with the pit left in. However, it definitely has to be eat within a day or two!