Zumba Dance

Options
Hello all. I am going to attempt my first Zumba dance class tomorrow after work. Question?? Does anyone have an idea as to how many calories I can count for exercise? And would you log it under aerobics or cardio???

Thanks in advance

Laura :flowerforyou:

Replies

• shannieboo
    shannieboo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    it would be under cardio and my traine told me around 1000 calories for the hour class
  • katkat987
    katkat987 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    good luck, hope you have fun x
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I log it under Dance-ballroom fast. But if you really want to get the real amount of calories burned, you need andHRM (I don't have one).

The calories that you burn depend on your weight, and in the intensity and lenght of the workouts. If you are a large woman, then you will burn more calories than a smaller woman.

My class last between 30 and 45 minutes but because I am small I burn close to 300 calories only. . Some classes are more intense than others, and the more you are familiar with the routine, the more you will move and burn.

It is fun, and you can burn a decent amount of calories. Enjoy!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I log it as general aerobics but if you're not in great shape you might use high impact aerobics or whatever the option is. Have fun!
  • LivingFree
    Options
    Does anyone know where you can get a DVD of Zumba?
    We don't have classes in my area and it sounds like fun - I'd like to try it!
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    It really depends on a ton of factors. Weight, age & height all affect your calorie loss. Some instructors keep you moving the whole hour and some (like the one I had last week) had us waiting around for a minute after every song while she ran over and decided what song she wanted to play and had lots of stretching and stuff that lowered our heart rates throughout the hour.

The best way is an HRM. WIthout one of those, you're really guessing, and my preference is to guess low than high, so I put in "dancing, general" for however long.
  • jlsironen
    jlsironen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh you'll love it they are so much fun!!!
    As far as calories, not sure but I LOVE my Polar heart rate monitor. It's comfy and has faithfully logged all my training over the past year (even if you change the battery). They run around $100 but last forever, I'd definitely look into it to keep things accurate :)

Have a great time!
  • savvynurse
    Options
    Thank all of you for your comments. I think I will log it under dancing general.... I have a HRM coming in the mail and will use it at the next class....that's if and only IF I survive the first one lol............... Thanks again

Laura