Just a Question about not losing

Options
I've been losing 2lbs. a week, today is my weigh in and I've only lost 1lbs this week. I just finished my menstrual cycle this past week, could this be why the weight loss is still not reflecting?

I've read that you retain water during your cycle..should I just wait a few days and then weigh myself?

FYI: I am staying within my calorie range and have actually increase my workouts, so it's not because I've gotten off track.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I can gain anywhere from nothing while TOM's here to 3-4 lbs. This last time it was 3. I waited a few days, drank a TON of water each day and weighed again and I was down a lb from before TOM was there, so definitely wait a few days, drink a lot of water, exercise, do your normal thing, and then weigh again :happy:
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was about the same and just had my TOM as well. I went from losing at least two pounds a week to last week only .6 oz. I'm thinking it comes off fast at first and then slows down. We'll see how next week goes - this is my first TOM since getting serious so I'm not sure.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Yes, just give it a few days and then re-weigh :)
  • jlsironen
    jlsironen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Same here, your fluid levels are a bit off during your cycle.
    Keep up with your water intake, keep doing what you're doing and weight yourself in ONE week. I know, it's tough to wait, but give it a few days, you'll be right where you need to be! :)
  • DebraMercer
    Options
    Same thing happened to me I lost 12 lbs fast and now it is not wanting to come off anymore despite the exercise and watching my calories. I am in the same boat as you. I won't give up but it is so frusterating
  • NancyQR28
    NancyQR28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies, good to know. I'll wait and then weigh-in in a few days. :happy:
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'll say what is always said to me -
    Cycles do influence the scale, so your 1 lb loss might be more. I would weigh again in a day or so or just take it and see what next week says.
    Also, increasing your workouts could attribute to the appearance of not losing as much weight - you are probably gaining muscle #1, and #2 it could be fluid retention to protect your muscles while they heal from the (necessary) damage of the workout. Once the muscle is established and repaired, that increase in muscle will burn more calories and could help you lose more than 2 lbs next week.
    So don't fret, and keep on doing what you are doing!

I haven't lose a single pound in a month, so be grateful. :)
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was about the same and just had my TOM as well. I went from losing at least two pounds a week to last week only .6 oz. I'm thinking it comes off fast at first and then slows down. We'll see how next week goes - this is my first TOM since getting serious so I'm not sure.

I'm having the same problem, but for me TOM isn't coming for another week. I've upped my workouts this week, ate pretty much the same, and actually gained weight.. its so frustrating!!
  • NancyQR28
    Options
    Yes, it is very frustrating! I weighed myself yesterday morning and then when I weighed myself again this morning it shows almost a 2lb. weight gain!!! Now I know that can't be possible because I have been exercising just about everyday (one day off). I hope it's muscle from biking! LOL!!

I'm having the same problem, but for me TOM isn't coming for another week. I've upped my workouts this week, ate pretty much the same, and actually gained weight.. its so frustrating!!
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is very frustrating! I weighed myself yesterday morning and then when I weighed myself again this morning it shows almost a 2lb. weight gain!!! Now I know that can't be possible because I have been exercising just about everyday (one day off). I hope it's muscle from biking! LOL!!

that's what I was hoping too until I read that a woman who weight trains like crazy can put on 5lbs of muscle in a year... A YEAR! so that means if we've gained 2 lbs in a week and it's not muscle, and we work out like mad... then what the heck is it?? im just not stepping on a scale for another week and hoping to God it says lighter than it does now!
  • hotmooglelove
    Options
    Im a dude and I can personally vary up to 5lbs +/- a day. My record weight loss was 8 lbs in a day (from 5+ to -2). The average human typically varies 2lbs +/-

Water weight, food still in your digestive system, even damp hair can throw off the scale! Don't worry about it :smile:

If you really want more accurate weight loss results, weight yourself every day, then average the results weekly or bi-weekly. Compare each average to see a more accurate rate of loss.

Don't forget that loosing fewer lbs per week might not be a bad thing. A morbidly obese 600lb man can loose 6 lbs a week just by walking around the house once a day, while a guy my size would literally have to eat nothing for a week to see that result! As your calorie intake drops over time, don't be afraid to lower down to 1 or 0.5 lbs a week :happy:
  • honeyrabbit
    Options
    I realy wouldn't worry too much...I suffered a similar frustration last week.
    In the first week i'd lost 2 pounds then in week two it was my TOM. When I weighed myself i'd put ON two pounds even though I rigidly stuck to my calorie goals and exercised every day! I weighed myself the following day and in just one day i'd dropped the two pounds i'd put on plus another pound!!!
    I think this proves that water retention has got a lot to answer for during your TOM. Just avoid weighing yourself at this time or if you do, don't take much notice of the reading as it won't reflect any real weight loss you've achieved.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    yeah, it sucks. this is my third week of dieting and exercising, and my first TOM is coming in a few days. i've been eating great and exercising a lot, but for the past week i've been up 2-4 lbs. im pretty sure it has to do with the increased workouts and all that womanly hormone stuff, but i still can't help getting a little nervous. i know im not supposed to weigh myself every day, but i'm doing it anyway, just to get a feel of how my body reacts to this stupid TOM thing. it's rough cuz losing every week can be so motivating, but then when this whole thing happened, i'm like UGHHHHH!!!!
  • NancyQR28
    Options
    Yes, it's crazy, TOM left about a week ago already and my weight fluctuates up and down about two pounds. I seem to be stuck. I read somewhere on here that when you are stuck you should eat a cheat meal, so today I had a burger with the works. I still did my workout, but I hope this cheat meal thing works.