Stupid Minnesota law, another trip to Wisconsin today

Options
bizco
bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
For about the 1,000th time Minnesota lawmakers are considering overturning the law that bans liquor sales on Sundays. As a state, we give several million tax dollars every year to Wisconsin when people cross the border to buy liquor. If the repeal actually happens this time, privately-owned liquor stores will have the option to open, they're not required to. Makes perfect sense to me.

Due to a busy schedule and mind preoccupation, I didn't plan ahead so it's off to Wisconsin for me once again. After all, what's a Superbowl without some spirits? Good thing I live close to the border. I love Wisconsin. But still not rooting for the Packers!

Replies

• mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! Here in PA there's very limited Sunday sales. But, we have a new governor and he claims he is going to dismantle out state liquor system and privatize everything. Hopefully he will be successful, maybe your state will follow suit, they have bills to pay!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Here in Colorado we just overturned our Sunday ban a few years ago. Best day ever!
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    In Texas you can only buy wine & beer on Sundays & all liquor stores are closed.
  • ladyreadsalot
    Options
    You're lucky to live so close to Wisconsin. I have friends who live near Glenwood (Pope County), and there's nothing available for hundreds of miles.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Yahoo for California! You can buy spirits, wine, and beer at the supermarket anytime of the week and day after 7AM. Just need your DL, credit card, check or cash.

Bottoms up!!
  • karen4777
    Options
    Well think of it this way. You can save yourself a lot of wasted calories. :wink:
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I think that is so stupid. Is it still 1938? Geeeebus.

Here in CA you can buy alcohol any day of the week from 6am to 2am. LOL
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    We appreciate your donation. Well, that and taking our loser quarterback off our hands.
  • lindainak
    Options
    Utah was hell when we lived there. State owned all the liquor retail stores, waiters were not allowed to mention any alcohol (must ask), restuarant signs like Red Robin could not say Food and Spirits, no alcohol was served till after lunch time, none on Sundays. Heard that before we lived there it was even worse but after we left and the Olympics came to Salt Lake than they relaxed the laws.

At one time the state owned liquor stores did not display actual bottles. You went in and signed in and asked a clerk to get what you wanted from the back.
  • georgiacindi
    Options
    Is that really good for your diet?
  • bodzio4062
    Options
    Yeah... California is a real "winner" state - totally bankrupt, but you can smoke, drink alcohol, do a "medicinal" doopie, and pay taxes up to the...Can't wait to move out...
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    We appreciate your donation. Well, that and taking our loser quarterback off our hands.
    Loser quarterback? You MUST be joking. Favre will be in the Hall of Fame and was an outstanding quarterback. He holds so many records that will never be broken. I bet you loved him when he won games for the Packers. You're such a turn-coat and two-faced loser.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The post was only about buying, or not being able to buy, alcohol on Sundays, please don't make it a political statement and trash this beautiful state.

But if you feel that way, you can move out anytime you want, I even help you get your luggage ready.: drinker:
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    I don't know that we can call football "political." But the Packers are the world Champs (again).

So I hope all the booze you bought from Wisconsin tasted real good.