question about abdominal exercises

Options
Hi -- I have lost 30 pound and I'm very happy about that, BUT --

I want to get rid of the "pooch" that is still there from my 2 pregnancies.. Everything else is slimming down nicely, but after 2 kids and 2 cesearean sections (the kids are now 17 and 13 too) I can't seem to get my fat pouch to move. Any ideas of low-impact gthings that might help? Sit ups are hard after being cut twice - I know, excuses, excuses... hahaha :laugh:

Replies

• murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    whats your man made carb intake like? Less of that, more frotein and good fats and you'll loose it!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    http://www.pregnancy-info.net/topic_other_topics.html

This website has a list (and directions) of some great low impact exercises that work your transverse abdominals, the deepest layer of muscle. Strengthening these muscles will help flatten your tummy.
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I had a C-section 6 years ago and I still can't lose the pooch. I just tell people that the doctors accidently left some guaze in before they sewed me up. j.k :0)

Honestly, the best thing to do is a combo of both regular sit-ups, crunches, etc and those that target the lower abs to by raising the hips or legs etc.

One that I learned in physical therapy was to lie on your back with feet flat on the floor and knees bent. Then, bring up one foot at a time till your leg was parallel to the floor but knees still bent. Then, bring the other leg up. Then, down with the first leg and down with the second leg. So, it's UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN. Repeat till somewhere between 20-25, based on your ability.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I had a C-section 6 years ago and I still can't lose the pooch. I just tell people that the doctors accidently left some guaze in before they sewed me up. j.k :0)

Honestly, the best thing to do is a combo of both regular sit-ups, crunches, etc and those that target the lower abs to by raising the hips or legs etc.

One that I learned in physical therapy was to lie on your back with feet flat on the floor and knees bent. Then, bring up one foot at a time till your leg was parallel to the floor but knees still bent. Then, bring the other leg up. Then, down with the first leg and down with the second leg. So, it's UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN. Repeat till somewhere between 20-25, based on your ability.

Regular sit-ups and crunches really aren't effective for anyone. And for women who have gone through multiple pregnancies they aren't good. They only work the top layers of muscle and they increase the size of the muscle fibers. Since the outer layers of muscle tear slightly during pregnancy increasing their size only makes for an uneven, sometimes even lumpy appearance.
  • becky123456
    becky123456 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I eat a vegetarian diet, so I can probably use more proteins, for sure.. As far as the carbs go, I do have 1 or two pieces of toast every morning and we do eat a lot of pasta at dinner..