for those with no results in the beginning

Options
did you eventually start to see the scale go down? I know a lot of people have complained about not seeing the scale move and was hoping I can get an update to how you are doing now? What changes did you make? I've been eating 1200 cal a day plus eating some of my excercise cals for the last 3 weeks. In the past, I've always lost a lot first so I am not used to this. I am trying to stay strong and not give up but it's so hard when there's nothing happening. Im 5'4 and 168lbs working out 5 days a week. I should eventually loose weight right? I guess I just need some support!

Replies

• tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Does MFP have you set at 1200 calories a day or is this an amount that you set? Also, if you're working out 5 days a week are you eating back your exercise calories? You may not be taking in enough calories and this may be what's stahling your weight loss.
  • kacka68
    kacka68 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm hearing ya. But before you get upset at the scale, make sure you're taking other measurements too (like waist and hips and body fat if you can). My scales haven't moved, but I've lost a couple of centimetres from my bits, plus I've lost body fat. So even though the scales REFUSE TO BUDGE, I know I'm converting fat to lean, mean muscle, which burns more calories and makes me look more toned.

Don't give in......it took years (I assume) for the weight to come on, so you can't realistically expect it to come off in 2 or 3 weeks (even though you REALLY, REALLY want it to). I'll friend request you.....
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've been in your boat for a while, and yes, it is TOUGH! The scale did start to edge down a bit, but this week I had to travel for work and couldn't keep up my exercise. Just trying to keep in mind that this is a life change, so whether it comes off immediately or after a few months, I'm not going to change my routine. Just try to focus on the small changes you're making in your routine- celebrate all the good choices you're making now- rather than focusing on the scale. We'll get there eventually!! Feel free to friend me if you like:happy:
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Eat all of the calories that MFP has set up for you to eat. If you are leaving too many calories on the board you may be putting your body into it's starvation mode. eating a little more calories is not a bad thing. also eating all of your calories at once is not good either. you need to try and eat breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, mid afternoon snack and dinner at least.
  • pickle41
    pickle41 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I joined in January this year, and have only lost 3.8 lbs.. talk about discouraging! Making sure i'm drinking all my calories, and was walking everyday at least 30min. but tried to walk for an hour. But since the snow hit,, i haven't been really doing anything except showeling snow. i am getting pretty frustrated, anytime in the past i would always lose a lb or two or lots of times more than that per week, but not this itme. It's really tough. So hang in there and also you might be gaining muscle. Especially if you are working out that much. Good Luck and I'm sure it will catch up to you.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    1200 calories may be too low for you. If you've selected to lose 2 pounds per week you might want to change it to 1 pound per week. Also make sure you're eating all your exercise calories and are drinking at least 8 glasses of water. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and low fat dairy. Avoid processed foods. Track your sodium and sugar in addition to fat, carbs and protein.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Anyone with this problem should reevaluate their original settings and goal in MFP

This post is brilliant - it is the answer way better than I could write it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • danlyn
    danlyn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I know how you're feeling because I've been following all the rules for the past 17 or so days and I've only lost 2 pounds and that just showed up yesterday!! I did print out my food log and realized that I was over on sugars and eating more carbs and not enough protein. I've changed that aspect of my eating because I think carbs and sugar aren't great for me, but I just think that realistically my body was getting used to the new eating and exercising that I have been doing. My only positive thought about it is that if it took that long to come off it must be actual weight, not just water weight and that makes me happy. Keep doing what you're doing and try to be patient. I'm not going to let it aggravate me and I'm only weighing myself once a week because honestly I can fluctuate EVERY day and that is too frustrating. You will see progress if you stick with it. Please friend me if you'd like to chat since we seem to be experiencing the same difficulties. Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I do try to eat as most excercising cals but it's hard when I have to eat 600 cals. I can usually eat about half of it at least. I will try adjusting my goals.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I do eat every 2 hours and try to eat as most as I can of my exercise cals. I just run out of foods to eat sometimes when I am exercise a lot. I have thought about cutting down to maybe 3 days a week instead of 5. Guess I just got to play around and see what works. I do wish I was in my 20s still because it always was so much easier :)
  • reginafloyd
    reginafloyd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can stall your weight loss if you don't eat enough calories. I did a whole round of P90X and my weight didn't budge. Lost inches, but scale didn't budge. I wasn't eating enough, was not logging my food and tracking what I ate and that's when I started MFP.

For TurboFire, I was originally going by the "How many calories should I eat" page in TurboFire Fuel the fire which had me at like 1860 calories a day. My weight has not changed so I am going to tweak that a little and see how I do hunger wise, energy wise and pounds lost.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I started mid September, followed all the guidelines, exerecise etc. I literally lost no weight at all for about 6 weeks as my body changed. i did not take measurements but after 6-7 weeks I did gradually start losing and now have lost 10 . As I have a normal BMi it is very slow. Stick with it and you will see the change eventually.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Anyone with this problem should reevaluate their original settings and goal in MFP

This post is brilliant - it is the answer way better than I could write it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

+ 1
  • EAMac
    EAMac Posts: 22
    Options
    Try not to get discouraged. I've felt this same way over the past few weeks. I finally went in and changed my setting to only lose 1/2 pound a week instead of a pound, and I have been focusing more on the TYPES of foods I'm eating, and a little less on the total calories. I especially am now tracking my sodium and sugar intake, which both tend to be over where they should be. I also took a week off from exercise to focus on my food issues. I have lost 1/2 pound this week, and it's not much, but the two weeks before, I lost NOTHING both weeks. So, you might just have to play around with your calories, and like a previous poster said, try to stick to lean meats, lots of fruits and veggies, low-fat dairy, etc. I'm really trying to increase my fiber and protein intake, which seems to be helpling a LOT. Good luck!!!
  • glogirl27
    Options
    i joined the website in early November and have lost only 7 pounds to date...but i've learned not to watch the scale too closely. instead i check the fit of my clothes, that way i can see that i have definitely lost inches and look more toned. like others have said, it's a lifestyle change, not a diet! so just eat healthy (make sure you keep track of sodium b/c it will make you retain water like crazy and make you weigh at least an extra 3-5 pounds!), drink lots of water, and you'll be fine :)