Bananas

Options
OK here's a random question. I love bananas. But I like them green or at least yellow. Once they start getting those little brown spots on them I'm done. Is there a way to slow the ripening process of bananas? Thanks for any suggestions.:smile:flowerforyou:

Replies

• LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Keep at room temp and I think away from other fruit esp citrus fruits as they speed up the ripening ( thats what i have always been told)
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    debbie meyer green bags
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Keep them away from apples. They release a natural chemical that causes other fruits and vegetables to ripen. Keep them cool, but not in the refrigerator, make sure they aren't next to the refrigerator, stove, etc. since they all emit a little heat.

Also, buy them in smaller bunches. Since they go from greenish to yellow in just a couple days, don't buy more than four at once.
  • toradoshi21
    toradoshi21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    debbie meyer green bags

Never heard of those. Where do you get them?
  • paulmmichaud
    paulmmichaud Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love bananas when they get brown. Don't you find that they just get sweeter and more yummier? Unfortunately I usually eat all my bananas before they have a chance to get brown.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    If they start to get too ripe, you can always peel and freeze them to use in healthy shakes with yogurt, milk, and ice.
    :smile:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If they start to get too ripe, you can always peel and freeze them to use in healthy shakes with yogurt, milk, and ice.

Totally! I actually leave the peel on and then just peel them with a paring knife when I want to use them. Easier packaging. :)
  • critter347
    critter347 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Wow, nice suggestion. I'm gonna remember that, ha