How many calories burned on a treadmill??

Options
I'm so bummed that walking on a treadmill isn't in the database! I've just started walking around 2.17 miles in 39:23 minutes the last few days.

Soooo how do I track this in my diary?

I'd been using the only "treadmill" option and got really excited when it gave me calculations like 500+ calories burned! But now I've realized that's not the right option and my calories burned might me closer to 180. Which means I've over-eaten several days this week which is really pissing me off. :( Halp!

Replies

• forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Track it in terms of how fast you are walking? There are several options in the database that you can use that way :) Type walking and go from there...
  • jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    Options
    I would divide your distance by your time to find out how many average mph you are walking. Then I would categorize it under walking at whatever speed you came up with.
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You should burn about 100 cal per mile. This varies a little depending on intensity and your body's adaptive ability. Meaning if you run 3 miles every day for 6 months your body adapts to that exercise and becomes more efficient...hence burning less. Hope that helps. Most treadmills also have calories burned on the display somewhere.
  • heatherr73
    Options
    I highly recommend using a heart rate monitor. I have a Polar with a chest strap that is invaluable to me. That way, you can actually see how many calories you have burned and input it that way. Today I did 15 minutes on the elliptical, and then 25 on the treadmill and burned 483 calories. I would bet you are burning more than 180.
  • TLW77
    TLW77 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    type in walking and it will show walking at 3.0 etc
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    2 miles in roughly 40 minutes is like walking at a 3mph rate which is in the database ... just my opinion however you probably should invest in a heart rate monitor to get a more accurate calorie burn
  • bikinikillaer
    Options
    heatherr73
    I highly recommend using a heart rate monitor. I have a Polar with a chest strap that is invaluable to me. That way, you can actually see how many calories you have burned and input it that way. Today I did 15 minutes on the elliptical, and then 25 on the treadmill and burned 483 calories. I would bet you are burning more than 180.

Awesome, yea I should look into that.

Thanks everyone for your input - I'll search for 'walking' instead.
    Aren't we to the point in technology where my iPhone can just figure out my stats by telepathy? :)
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    if you walk those 2 miles in full incline 15% then you will burn alot more. use the walking option and if MFP doesnt have one for how fast you are walking pick the highest one they have and add an extra 100 calories. that should be as close enough as you can get
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My treadmill tells me how fast I am walking, the distance and how many calories I burn. Then I just chose walking in the database here and tried to match up the calories. Most days now I walk 3.0 mph for 30 minutes and it burns 163 calories.