AM workout or PM?

Options
Need some help here. I need to know if it is better to try and get my workout in in the morning right after I wake up, or should I do it at night?
I'm just wondering if it's better for one's body to get a nice sweaty cardio done first thing in the morning? Does that get the metabolism going better through the day?

Any thoughts/feelings/ideas on this?

Thanks!

Paul

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Most people will say morning.

I say whenever you ae most likely to make it a habit. It doesn't matter to your body. But kick starting the metabolism, and starting your day in a positive way can't hurt. Also working out at night keeps some people awake.
  • jvinsanity90x
    Options
    It is more a personal decision and when you feel your body has the most energy. You never want to work the body if your feeling weak, it will only hurt yourself. Just find a time that you feel most energized.
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options
    My personal opinion is morning. I love the feeling and enerygy working out in the morning gives you for the day. If I can't get it in, in the morning I do a nice work out at night. This usually keeps me up longer though. Do what ever feels right to you and what is easiest for you. Some time that you are going to make a habit.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    This might help answer your question.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/257223-is-it-better-to-work-out-in-the-morning-or-the-evening/

If you don't feel like reading it, basically, it doesn't matter, as long as you're working out. But it does talk about certain advantages and disadvantages for both options.
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out in the morning because I work afternoons and don't get home til almost 9pm. Usually too tired to do anything else but eat and watch the telly by the time the day is done. Plus I like the morning buzz (I don't need caffeine to that anymore!) and I can plan my meals out for the rest of the day. A lot easier for me :)
  • tsez
    tsez Posts: 10
    Options
    the one that you will stick with and make less excuses not to the work out is the best time to do your work out, i have mine scheduled for 5 a.m. but always do them at 7 p.m.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Both. weights/cardio in the morning. and then more cardio at night. :)
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    This is my personal opinion...

Morning advantages:
    1. You put it first priority so you make sure it gets done.
    2. It starts your day off right with a great endorphin release.

Morning disadvantages:
    1. Getting up early and getting all sweaty before your have to go to work.
    2. For some weird reason I feel weaker in the mornings than I do when I work out in the evenings. I can push myself with weight training more when I work out later in the day.

Evening Advantages:
    1. You are already done with your work day so it's no big deal if you get all sweaty.
    2. Gives you a second wind for the evening.

Evening Disadvantages:
    1. The later in the day I wait to work out, the easier it is for me to talk myself out of it or find excuses not to do it. Sometimes I'm just too tired.
    2. Working out too late causes me to have a hard time falling asleep.
    3. I would rather be at home with my family in the afternoons/evenings.
    4. The gym where I work out is packed in the evenings and I have a harder time getting on the equipment I want to use.

When it comes down to it I think you should do it whenever it fits best in your life. It fits best in my life in the mornings after driving morning carpool to school. I get up, drop kids off and head to the gym!
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I actually do both. I do a 5 mile/ 250 calorie burn in the morning before work, takes about 16 minutes. Then when I get home from work I do a 16 minute/250 calorie burn again. I do this on my stationary bike. The a.m. workout is usaully when I feel a little weaker, but it gives me great energy for the day. I like splitting my workout like this so it doesnt feel like it is killing me. 16 minutes is a lot easier at one time than 32 minutes and I still burn 500 calories a day. Either way, whatever works for your schedule is best for you. Good luck, hope this helps!

Eric
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Whatever works best for you. I run every morning and I lose 2 pounds a week. If I run in the afternoon every day, all I do is maintain. Fasted cardio is the better of the two IMHO and experience.
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump