Healthy foods to make up cals

Options
I've been having a hard time eating all my exercise cals because I worry that I am going to fill up on the bad foods. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies during the day, chicken, yogurt, cheese ect but then I'll go to the gym at burn 600 cals. I am always at a loss what I can eat to make up for those cals that is heathy. Sometimes I'll grab a mini wheat bagel and a glass of milk but then still have 300 more cals to eat. Any have any good suggestions? What works well for you?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Add some peanut or nut butter and an apple to that snack.
  • jvinsanity90x
    Options
    Personally, I would drink a good serving of protein shake. It's a good reward after the workout and it's easily digested.
  • karnaghan
    Options
    you could try almonds or avocado
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat all my workout cals...I will have a healthy snack and maybe some milk but if I don't eat them all I don't worry about it, as long as I am eating my base cals and at least some of my exercise cals.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake immediately after working out. It helps eat up some of those exercise calories and it provides your muscles with the protein they need to start recovering right away. I also have 1-3 snacks throughout the day and I make sure I eat a big breakfast.
  • MeiraBracha
    Options
    I feel the same way. I have my usual lunches and dinners which generally add up to the calories I need but then when I work out there are all those calories and I end up eating sweets or something. I like the idea of and apple with peanut butter. thanks. Also do the protein shakes make you like buff or does it just make it easier for your fat to turn into muscle? thanks
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I work out 1 hour 5x a week buring up to 600 cals and have not been loosing weight. That's why I want to try to eat my excercise cals and see if that helps with the weight loss. Thanks for the ideas!
  • Mrs_Hewi
    Mrs_Hewi Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP and i didnt even realise you were supposed to eat your work out calories... I have had about 300 calories for the day left over 70% of the time.... :S