Food Journal

Options
When you keeping track of what you eat on here, on your food dairy - ok so I had Rice Crispy Cereal for breakfast this morning, and on the drop down menu it says like 1 cup, what if you had more then just one cup of cereal - it doesn't give you an option to up the number of cups that I had this morning. Granted I wasn't really measuring either....

Should you know the exact measurement of what you eat, and what weight of like a grapefruit weighs so you can have an exact number of how many calories you ate for that day.

Trying to do this the right way and I am really lost.....

Please help
Brandi

Replies

• RoyaDee
    Options
    You can change the number of servings beside it, so if you had 2 cups you change the number of servings to 2.

And with fruit I just guestimate. They don't have too many calories anyway so you'll never be too far off your total.
  • ybba12490
    Options
    I usually give a close estimate as well for most foods.. and sometimes, like in my college cafeteria, I don't have access to nutrition labels which makes calorie counting hard
  • dlambert11
    dlambert11 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi Brandi,

When you are entering your food the database shows what one serving is. If you have more or less than one serving then all you have to do is change the quantity option (should be right beside the serving amt).

In order to really keep track of how many calories you are eating I would suggest using measuring cups or a food scale. For fruit and vegetables and condiments I use measuring cups. So I know exactly how much I am eating. And then I use the scale for proteins, cereals, and other items that the serving sizes are in ounces or grams.

I will add you as a friend so you can view my food diary. It may help you out. If you have any questions I would love to help you out!!

Super happy that you joined MFP!!!

-Diana:happy:
  • bbryant573
    bbryant573 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ok I have another question - on the nutrition facts - like right now I'm looking at a Cheerios cereal box - on the calories it say 100 - with 1/2 cup of skim milk (which I did not buy b/c I hate skim milk) so I added 2% Milk (did not get the calories off of the milk) - anyway on the chererios box underneath the calories it says calories from fat 15 - so do I subtract 15 from 100? Or do I add the 15 to the 100 -

And is there anything else that I should be looking underneath the nutrition facts....or should I even worry about it?

I could use all the support that I can get b/c I have no idea if I'm doing this correctly.....

And I'm really trying to stay away from the pop!!! Wish me good luck!

Brandi