Superbowl food hangover... not such a bad thing/1

Options
In the category of "what was I thinking"... an evening of eating cheese fondue and wine while watching the Steelers lose, has left me feeling pretty gross. And that is indeed a good thing. That means I have turned the corner in the war of the mind versus the matter... the food matter, that is. The body is a wonderful thing with a voice of its own, if we just let it speak. And giving it a chance to chat with me sans the muffling mouthfuls of all things comfort food and snacky has opened up a new dialog. It's telling me that it is happy without the extras. It's happy and satisfied with less. It's starting to like me again. And the feeling is mutual. I have MS, and living in this body is a daily , often painful struggle, So if it takes a big cheesy superbowl step backwards to help me appreciate the small victories, so be it! No guilt, just gratitude. Did I mention that I had some edamame just for the sake of healthy food righteousness?!!!

Replies

• LaurieKPhoto1972
    Options
    Good for you! I totally agree! I was at Applebees the othe day eating my 390 calorie meal and as the french fries, quesadillas, and huge burgers were passing by our table, I actually thought to myself "gross". I think after making better choices for over a month now my body is starting to get used the new habit! I never thought I would see the day! Congratulations!
  • Sandikh
    Sandikh Posts: 116
    Options
    I hear ya...! I did extra exercise today because I knew there would be temptations that I would probably succumb to, and of course I did. But here is the thing...I had 1/2 glass of sangria and 3 chips with Queso dip and I actually became very sick to my stomach. I had to put the drink down and I couldn't eat any more for the rest of the night. I had come armed with a healthy and tasty fruit salsa and homemade cinnamon tortilla chips and I brought a bag of baked cheetos (just in case). I don't normally eat (even the baked) cheetos at home, but I was thinking that it would be a better alternative to what I was probably going to be facing. So in the long run, I ended up eating less than I thought I would because my body REJECTED the offensive foods...! LOL...Superbowl party is over, my beloved Packers won, and I actually completed my food diary for the day under my calorie goal. Go figure.....:love:
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for a while and although the desire, cravings don't necessarily change my body's acceptance of some foods has changed dramatically. I can't eat pasta at all, and fried foo and sweets in small amounts or I get sick to my stomach. Helps resist although despite knowing the consequences will overindulge occassionally, like I hope that THIS time it won't bother me. Head playing mind games.
  • Amyhue
    Amyhue Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I encourage everyone out there to listen closely to their bodies, and weathering the cravings (and even giving into them occasionally) won't kill ya! Years ago, when I was training for triathlons, I did not count calories, because my body just told me what it wanted... an amazing feat for someone who has spent a lifetime on the weight yo-yo with the slow metabolism from hell. . lost almost 50 pounds, after the birth of my twins that way. When my body started to give out with the MS, I turned to food in part for comfort. I suppose it's a sappy comment on life in general... the things we think will satisfy us aren't always what works.
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    this is encouraging to those of us not that far into our journey (about a month for me). I'm not replused by the foods, but I did notice the sodium/very thirst afterwards... plus I'm just that stasified and going almost a 1000kcal over budget you'd think you would be. i knew today would be blow/free/cheat/bad, but it's still surprising to see it add up so quick (and it sure tells me how I got this way) :/
  • Amyhue
    Amyhue Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    congrats to you too!!