Mini Hot Dog Munchies - finger food

Options
wolfchild59
wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
The hubby and I had plans to hang out with my sister and brother-in-law for Superbowl today and one of their all-time favorite party finger foods are the lil' smokies wrapped in cut up pillsbury crescent rolls. So I was trying to think of a way to make a healthier version of that snack. I came up with this this morning and has their total seal of approval.

107 grams of Bisquick Heart Smart dry mix
5 tbsp of Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla
4 Hebrew National 97% Fat Free Beef Franks

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.

Cut each hot dog in half lengthwise, then into fourths (ending up with eight pieces from each dog) and set aside. Spray a cookie sheet with just a bit of cooking spray (less than a second of spray is needed).

Mix Bisquick and milk together until milk is fully mixed in and you have a biscuit dough consistency. Sprinkle a surface with a bit of the Bisquick and place dough on surface. Sprinkle top of dough with a bit more Bisquick and roll to coat. Shape dough into a bit of a squat log and then roll the dough out with a rolling pin.

Roll the dough into a large rectangle that's about 1/8" thick. Using a pizza cutter, slice the dough into 32 equal strips. (I cut it into 16 strips across then cut those in half) Wrap each piece of hot dog in one of the strips of dough, starting on one edge of the piece and spiral wrap it across the length of the piece. Place each wrapped piece on the sprayed cookie sheet, allowing a bit of space for the dough to rise a bit.

Bake for 8 minutes, then turn all of them over and bake for another 2-3 minutes. (just to get a little extra browning on the top)

Serve with your preferred dipping sauce.

Makes 32 Munchies
17 cal
.5g fat
96mg sodium
2.7g carbs
.1g fiber
.3g sugar
1g protein

I was making these with my niece in mind, so I did the dough with nothing added. But I think these would also be fun to play with the flavors of the dough by adding cayenne and/or other spices and dried herbs.

Oh, and to compare, one regular version of these (1 smokie and 1/3 of a crescent roll) is 71 cal, 5g fat, 1g trans fat and 179mg sodium)

Replies

• melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Looks like a good substitute! Right now I think I'd just skip them rather than making a better version though (that's just me, not judging anyone else!)

71 calories EACH for the regular version! Yikes!
  • wolfchild59
    Options
    I did 'em mostly because it's one of their favorites. I can't say I've ever even made the original version, only ever had them at their house. lol

But I hear ya. Just thought I'd share the recipe though, since I think the original is still a pretty popular party snack and they'd gotten the seal of approval from bug fans of the original (including my 3yo niece).
  • AndreaRu
    AndreaRu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh, yaay! I love the whole preschool food thing sometimes! I'm definitely going to do this -- I can't believe the low calorie count. Sounds like you can't go wrong with these. Hebrew National makes a great almost fat-free hot dog! :) Great idea -- thanks for posting it!
  • wolfchild59
    Options
    Yeah, I couldn't believe the calories at first either. I checked and rechecked the recipe entry three times just to make sure. lol

And I took a pic of them - it's the last one in this set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfchild59/sets/72157625743758624/ (sorry, I'm only phone and it's easier to get my flickr set url then the individual ic url)
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    bump