Corrolation between caffiene and weight loss?

Options
Every once in awhile, I hear statements about how the amount of caffiene consumed may work against you when trying to lose weight. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not? Thanks!

Denise

weight.png

Replies

• drgall
    Options
    Every once in awhile, I hear statements about how the amount of caffiene consumed may work against you when trying to lose weight. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not? Thanks!

Denise

weight.png
  • clairegl
    Options
    Oh Lord, I sure hope this is another of those crazy misinterpretations! :drinker:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    if that's true, I'm screwed because I am not giving up caffeine! :bigsmile:
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Eh, I dunno.

I never ever drink caffeine. It's not something you ever want to be addicted to or rely on, so I never really did. Besides, you drink it, get energy and then crash, I like my extra energy from working out! Also, half of the time caffeine means calories, and I cannot stand the idea of drinking calories.
  • j0yride
    Options
    I heard that a few cups a day of coffee can be a good boost for your metabolism. Too much isn't good though and creams and sugars are calories but if you can drink it black, its virtually calorie free!

Its funny, I used to say I'd never drink coffee either because I didn't want to have to rely on it then one day I was so bagged I had a cup and its helped so much now I am hooked! lol I don't usually drink it unless I'm at work though.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Here's what I've been able to find out in the past about this topic: A few studies indicate that caffeine may slightly enhance weight loss in people who exercise and maintain a low-fat diet. But there's no evidence that increased caffeine intake results in significant or permanent weight loss.

Marketers of fad diets and weight-loss supplements often exaggerate the benefits of caffeine, claiming that caffeine will significantly curb your appetite and help you drop pounds quickly. However, clinical studies on the relationship between caffeine and weight loss don't support these claims.

Here's what researchers have found:

Caffeine may act as an appetite suppressant. However, while studies have shown that some people eat less after consuming caffeine, this effect is brief — not long enough to lead to significant weight loss.

Caffeine may increase your body's ability to burn calories. Caffeine is thought to stimulate thermogenesis — one way your body generates heat and energy from digesting food. However, caffeine's role in thermogenesis probably isn't enough to result in significant weight loss.
    Caffeine acts as a diuretic, which means it causes an increase in the amount of urine you excrete. This water loss may temporarily decrease your body weight.

It's important to keep in mind that caffeine is a stimulant that can increase your heart rate and blood pressure, interrupt your sleep, and cause nervousness and irritability. Also, many caffeinated beverages are high in calories, which can contribute to unwanted weight gain.
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm a moderate coffee drinker. I drink 2-3 cups of instant a day. Coffee has almost no calories. The calories come from what you put into it. I use sweetner and a bit of 1% milk in my cofee so each cup is around 30 calories. I think that everything in the last post is correct. It does curb my appetitie for a short while and I sometimes use it for that effect. BTW, decaf does the same thing. So if it isn't time for the next meal or I'm somewhere where I can't get something healthy and want to hold off until I get home, I often have a cup of java.

I've read recently that there are other health benefits to coffee but as everything, each person is different in their reaction. I personally don't like to drink too much since I get withdrawl headaches if I go a day without. I also read recently that you aren't supposed to drink coffee for an hour after taking your thyroid medicine as it interfers with the medicines absorption. Since I take my pills in the morning, I find it hard to implement that one.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I also read recently that you aren't supposed to drink coffee for an hour after taking your thyroid medicine as it interfers with the medicines absorption. Since I take my pills in the morning, I find it hard to implement that one.

Oh bother -- I give up!! You can't take the thyroid meds one hour before two hours after, now no caffeine. <
    Quits!