Exercise calories controversy ???

Options

Replies

• rozarotti
    Options
    I agree with this, I have had numerous personal trainers and am one myself now and I have NEVER heard of eating your calories back.

The formula is Calories In - Calories Burnt = Calorie Deficet.

What would the point be eating back all the calories you burnt off? Then you're back at square one. I could see if you wanted to Maintaine, then it would make sense, but if you want to loose I wouldn't touch them. I don't eat mine.

Well said!!!
  • janski2
    Options
    I don't use my exercise to eat more, just to eat what I want. I still eat 1200 calories a day, but exercise so I can eat more fruit and not have a red number on my carbs cause I eat too many. I don't lose unless I eat a lot of fiber and fruit and veggies do it for me. I exercise to feel good.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I agree with this, I have had numerous personal trainers and am one myself now and I have NEVER heard of eating your calories back.

The formula is Calories In - Calories Burnt = Calorie Deficet.

What would the point be eating back all the calories you burnt off? Then you're back at square one. I could see if you wanted to Maintaine, then it would make sense, but if you want to loose I wouldn't touch them. I don't eat mine.

Well said!!!

WRONG WRONG WRONG, MFP already gives you a caloric deficit to lose your goal amount of weight that you chose when you signed up or thereafter. eating your exercise calories just ensures you lose your goal amount, not more, not less, your goal, which should be your goal as you chose it to be your goal. Is you eat 1200 and burn 400 it is as if you only ate 800 (1200-400) and did not workout, this is not enough. your comment about maintaining makes no sense as MFP already has a build in deficit and they are just trying to keep the deficit at your goal, by adding back the exercise calories.

and in your formula MFP already has the deficit at 1000 so it would be 1200-2200 (maintenance calories) = 1000 cal deficit, if you exercise more your calculation would look like: 1200-2200-500(from exercise) = 1500 cal deficit, much larger than the recommended 500 to 1000 so you should eat 500 more and your calc would go to 1700-2200-500=1000.
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think erickirb has explained this very well! Thank you for your input!
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Heres my take on it:
    Before I had massive caloric defects -- the pounds melted away.
    I reached my goal weight loss of 65 pounds but felt weak. This was due to the muscle I burned away.

I switched over to a low caloric deficit and added weight and actually ate more
    The pounds returned at first
    Over time I returned to the same goal weight with a lower bf / higher muscle ratio.
    I feel great and I am eating more :)

So.. A lower deficit will yield better returns but not as quickly bc you will not lose as much muscle. Muscle is a good thing bc it increases your bmr!!
  • erickirb
    Options
    Heres my take on it:
    Before I had massive caloric defects -- the pounds melted away.
    I reached my goal weight loss of 65 pounds but felt weak. This was due to the muscle I burned away.

I switched over to a low caloric deficit and added weight and actually ate more
    The pounds returned at first
    Over time I returned to the same goal weight with a lower bf / higher muscle ratio.
    I feel great and I am eating more :)

So.. A lower deficit will yield better returns but not as quickly bc you will not lose as much muscle. Muscle is a good thing bc it increases your bmr!!

Agreed, so if you don't want to lose muscle, eat your exercise cals, or at least most of them
  • chezst33
    Options
    I was struggling with this too. I was eating around 1650 calories a day and exercising like crazy-- sometimes burning 1300 calories a day, but the average was 700-800/ day. My body was changing, but the scale would only go down .5 one week and up .4 the next or so. I made a chart from MFP-- calories in, calories burned= net calories, minutes exercised per day and met with a dietician last week. She told me to go up to 1800 calories everyday. My Basal Metabolic Rate was like 1704 or so with my current weight, etc...so I needed 1704 calories a day to just survive from waking up, working, etc-- not including exercise. She bumped me up to 1800 calories per day-- telling me to do this everyday....not focusing on my exercise calories. She said that my body's been stuck in starvation mode for too long, so it's holding on to the weight with all its' might! If I'm low in calories at the end of the day and not really hungry, eat some nuts. They are high in protein + good fat, but you don't have to eat much to get the good calories. I got on the scale this a.m. and I'm down a couple pounds, we'll see if that holds for tomorrow's official weigh in, and it's only been since Friday that I've been doing the 1800 calories.
  • nodnallynn
    Options
    i was thinking exactly the same as you, if we burn calories why do we then need to eat more, it makes no sense.
  • izobel
    izobel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with ukphd. Also an important thing to look at is how many calories are you really using for exercise. I ran for over two hours out in the cold today - I need a large proportion of my exercise calories. If you ran super slow on the treadmill for 15 minutes reading a book you probably wouldn't need to eat back a single calorie. I don't log my strength training or rock climbing workouts because they aren't very aerobic. I think once you start logging calories for activities such as lawn mowing and then eating them back weight loss may be elusive. Note to serious weight trainers: I know YOU burn calories, my two to three times a week attempts aren't much more than stretching. I am very very happy when I am NOT hungry and am under my calorie allowance ... for me at least exercise demands fuel.
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    Sometimes I eat half my exercising calories back, sometimes I don't. I also don't add up every little calorie I burn. If I clean my house for 3 hrs...........guess what I have a clean house. Wait I have 4 kids maybe I'll just have a picked up house lol. My point is I don't add those calories. I walk up and down stairs to do laundry at least 10 times a day I don't add that. I have my goals to workout 5 times a week and workout 6-7 times. I keep track of the calories burned but until I get my heart rate monitor I have no clue if those are even really accurate. All I know is I have logged in 35 days in a row as of today have lost 3 inches around my waist alone and ll lbs.....Today is weigh in so we will see if I lost more. Everybody is different so you really have to find out what works for you.
  • erickirb
    Options
    i was thinking exactly the same as you, if we burn calories why do we then need to eat more, it makes no sense.

see my posts above
  • carolinegeorgia
    Options
    I have never eaten my exercise calories and lost weight every week, I know if I need to I can but it doesn't work for me to eat them, think you have to do what's best for you ;-)
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I Agree with eric!! If you only eat 1200 calories and burn 300 exercising, your total daily calorie intake would only be 900, which is not enought calories. Its not healthy to go below 1200 calories per day. that being said however, I dont always eat back all my calories because I am not 100% convinced that the estimated calorie burn for the excercises that I do are accurate, and I air on the side of being under rather than over.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I have never eaten my exercise calories and lost weight every week, I know if I need to I can but it doesn't work for me to eat them, think you have to do what's best for you ;-)

Losing muscle is not good for anyone. If you goal is set for 0.5 lb/week lose then it would be okay not to eat them as you caloric deficit would only be 250 cals, but for those that are set at 1.5 to 2 lbs/week should eat most of them to avoid burning muscle as fuel, instead of fat, which is really what you want to lose.
  • stevie_c
    stevie_c Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I thought the point was you were set a daily calorie intake level dependent on your lifestyle, height, weight etc and that this target is 500 calories short of what you "require" per day. As a result the issue of getting more calories to eat for exercise is that when you excersize you burn calories and hence are increasing the deficit (more than 500 short) therfore you can afford to eat more? Yes if you don't eat right up to your limit and have say a 700 calorie deficit you may lose more weight but there is the risk you lose the weight too fast and hense might put it on again or slow your metabolism...? I am no expert that was just my interpretation of the info!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    I found this online,
    There are approximately 3500 calories in a pound of stored body fat. So, if you create a 3500-calorie deficit through diet, exercise or a combination of both, you will lose one pound of body weight. (On average 75% of this is fat, 25% lean tissue) If you create a 7000 calorie deficit you will lose two pounds and so on. The calorie deficit can be achieved either by calorie-restriction alone, or by a combination of fewer calories in (diet) and more calories out (exercise). This combination of diet and exercise is best for lasting weight loss. Indeed, sustained weight loss is difficult or impossible without increased regular exercise. If you want to lose fat, a useful guideline for lowering your calorie intake is to reduce your calories by at least 500, but not more than 1000 below your maintenance level

Seems like its just doing the math, I mean if you workout hard and burn over say 600 calories and are set at 1200 calorie intake could you really not pass out eating 600 net calories?? Not me, I get too hungry and I don't want to loose muscle, just fat, I eat back at least 1/2 of my workout calories. But what seemed more important was to eat more protein, to eat early and to eat every few hours. Everyone is different, I think you have to do what works right for you, just do the math and make sure you are at a safe and effective calorie deficit.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I thought the point was you were set a daily calorie intake level dependent on your lifestyle, height, weight etc and that this target is 500 calories short of what you "require" per day. As a result the issue of getting more calories to eat for exercise is that when you excersize you burn calories and hence are increasing the deficit (more than 500 short) therfore you can afford to eat more? Yes if you don't eat right up to your limit and have say a 700 calorie deficit you may lose more weight but there is the risk you lose the weight too fast and hense might put it on again or slow your metabolism...? I am no expert that was just my interpretation of the info!

close, in numbers MFP puts you in a deficit of 250-1000 depending on your goal, but your theory is 100% correct.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    One other consideration that i havent seen mentioned thus far in this thread is how many calories (without exercise) your initial goal was.... If your initial goal was 1600 calories, you have much more wiggle-room to eat or not eat back exercise calories without falling below the 1200 NET minimum. The closer your initial goal is to 1200, the more important it is to eat back those exercise calories because you dont want to end under 1200 NET (routinely) and slip into a famine response which is your body preserving its fat stores, breaking down/burning muscle and lowering your metabolism rate.

Yes, you will continue to lose weight when your body is in famine response, but you will be losing about 50% of it in muscle and 50% in fat. Not what you're aiming for, i bet! On top of that, since metabolism lowers, when/if you fall off the wagon weight regain occurs much more quickly. Exercise preserves and builds muscle, raises metabolism, improves mood and energy levels and makes for a much healthier body in the long-run. Its incredibly beneficial to add regular exercise into your life!

Some people will swear by not eating back their calories and that may work in the short-term but an engine needs fuel to run. If you are only adding enough fuel for regular daily activities, how long do you expect to be able to have the energy to be athletic without giving your body a bit of extra fuel? :)

Again, if you have a base goal of 1600 cals and you burn 300 through exercise, this may never become a major concern for you (as your NET calories always end up over 1200 anyways) but if your base goal is lower and/or you have higher burns, you really DO need to consider what are your objectives? Just to lose weight regardless of its fat/muslce composition? If you want to lose weight over the long-term AND have a healthy and strong body, you need to fuel your body like an athlete and that means taking post-workout refueling into consideration.

I dont ALWAYS eat ALL of my exercise calories back, but when i end up with a NET under 1200 several times a week for a few weeks in a row, i notice a lack of energy which keeps me from optimal performance and a plateau of my weight. Speaking personally, i dont do all this exercise to burn off my muscle for energy! I want the fat gone, not the muscle! :drinker:
  • erniemj
    erniemj Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Losing muscle is not good for anyone. If you goal is set for 0.5 lb/week lose then it would be okay not to eat them as you caloric deficit would only be 250 cals, but for those that are set at 1.5 to 2 lbs/week should eat most of them to avoid burning muscle as fuel, instead of fat, which is really what you want to lose.

Question (by the way I completely agree with you) does this theorem apply if you are just starting out on your weight loss journey? Does it matter as much when your metabolism is already super slow? I guess the question is, are you burning more fat or muscle or mere water weight at the beginning of your journey vs. later on? Is it okay not to eat all of your exercise calories until you have fully realized how to eat properly, get the right nutrition, and exercise properly? Thank you for any input you have