Weight Gain despite Strict Calorie Recording :(

Options
Last week I was really excited when I weighed myself because I was losing weight according to plan. I was really good all week except Thursday when I had a bunch of drinks and snacks at a party. But to make up for that I worked out more over the weekend than I normally would. Otherwise I was always under my calorie goal here on MFP (and I promise I actually recorded everything!). I had gained 3 pounds when I weighed myself this morning. I weigh myself only once a week, every Monday at about 8. I am so disappointed!

Replies

• lpritchard
    Options
    I know the feeling. I have been doing this since Sept and lost eight lbs. Have haven't changed anything; still eating right, recording everything and excerising up to and surpassing my goal. Now I am starting to gain weight. Everyone says it is muscle. I would rather see the scale go down and have muscle.
  • happy115
    Options
    are you measuring yourself? keep track of your measurements and body fat%. I use this site: http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html

Plus, it's more important that you're exercising and eating healthy vs. losing weight.
  • mwkinney
    mwkinney Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Do you feel better? Do you have more energy? Are your clothes fitting a little better? The number on the scale shouldn't be the ultimate goal. Don't let one week be the last resort. Keep going and next week those pounds will fly off!!!
  • CarthagoDelendaEst
    Options
    Your weight gain could be down to many things: at least you know you haven't gained 3lbs of solid fat! It is probably mostly water gain.

My point is, don't be disheartened. Carry on, you are getting healthier :-)
  • lisa_lotte
    Options
    Are you sure you are eating enough? How many calories do you normally have left over in a day? Also, do you eat your exercise calories??

Lisa
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Could you be retaining water? If you've had a lot of sodium, or if it's coming up on your time of the month, it could just be water weight.
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I know, it's can be very dissapointing, I hate when that happens, just keep up your exercise and don't give up, you'll start losing again. :happy:
  • libertyj77
    Options
    I am in the same boat up almost a pound. It aggrevates me to no end too. I made sure I stayed on track and exercised extra too. I feel stuck because Ive been in this weigh catagory for a long time! Kee your chin up. My health DR said that I need to take a vitamin to help me have BM's more often and that I need to tae Food Enzymes too. He thinks I dont metabolize my food and digest it properly.SO I am going to get a viamin to help with BM's (aka number 2...lol) and then look into Food Enzymes. Be faithful another week and see if it was just a foul week...you'll have those kind of weeks too! Learn from it and move on! You can do it!!!
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Don't feel disappointed. If you worked out harder over the weekend a few things to considered:

1. Water retention: When you work out your muscles retain more water.
    2. Time of the month? either Mid month or end of month; both have the same effect(Water retention)
    3.If you were under your calorie goal, perhaps you need to eat all your calories to lose the weight. I know I have that problem.

So don't get discourage. Next week will be better I promise.
  • doctorbob
    Options
    Don't worry about it.

My weight can fluctuate by up to 2.5kg in 24 hours.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I have been doing this since Sept and lost eight lbs. Have haven't changed anything; still eating right, recording everything and excerising up to and surpassing my goal. Now I am starting to gain weight. Everyone says it is muscle. I would rather see the scale go down and have muscle.

have you been measuring yourself? It may be fluid retention in the muscles not allowing the scale to move down. Have you seen a difference in the way you appear?

It is really difficult to build muscle. Its usually done by having a calorie surplus which is why so many body builders have to eat crazy amounts of calories and protein just to maintain mass and keep building muscle. It's why when someone is overweight it's encouraged to do strength training to try and maintain that lean muscle you already have.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are eating enough? How many calories do you normally have left over in a day? Also, do you eat your exercise calories??

Lisa

Good point worth checking!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Good luck on your journey & remember you are not alone we are all here for YOU!
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hey, I can relate. Sunday's my weigh-in day and I gained back the 2lb I lost a week before...I was totally discouraged...but this game is not for the short term but for the long haul...it is hard but we have to look past it and just keep doing what we've been doing. I have to believe it so do you! Just keep moving and keep doing what you're doing. It will show, I have to trust that. =)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Definitely check your calorie intake. Look into the eating your exercise calories. The link in my signature explains a lot.
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options
    I know how you feel! It can be very disappointing! I've been doing this about a month and have only lost about 7 pounds +/- 1 pound. But I feel great! I'm exercising everyday, I'm trying to make better choices, and I have a ton more energy. This is what really keeps me motivated! I'm not worried about what the scale says (even though it is nice to see it go down) but if it doesn't I'm okay with that. Because I know I'm doing better for myself either way!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Do you measure? I have lost almost 40 inches but only 8lbs. since September.
  • CALORIECAZZA
    Options
    If you are regularly eating less calories then your daily amount, then your body will go into starvation mode, and your body will start to panic and store fat, instead of burning it! hence you will not loose weight your body will eat away at the muscle first that you have built exercising........ while the fat is stored :
    Always eat your daily amount and if you go slightly over then try and get your self a home stationary bike, and you can burn it off in a very short time.
  • gt45891
    Options
    Short term weight fluctuations are a side effect of the body maintaining electrolyte/sodium/water balance in addition to potential effects of your body's monthly cycle.

Consuming processed and/or snack foods is an indicator for high sodium intake. And your body will compensate for that by retaining water. To offset this, "flush" the salt out of your system by drinking significantly more water.

You may want to consider tracking daily sodium intake with a goal of 1000-1500mg/day. MFP can be configured to track your sodium intake. You might be surprised. :)

You're gonna do AWESOME!
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but I have decided to not let it get to me! This is about changing my life style and being healthy. I know if I keep going at it then I will see the results I want. It's been very stressful because I so desperately need to fit into my clothes again. I just keep telling myself sick with it stick with it stick with it. I do feel so much better despite what the scale says, and that's important!

Good luck!
  • jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    Options
    Is your period coming or are you on it? I gained weight during mine, but lost a bunch when it was over.