Confessions of a weekend cheater

Options
Monday -Thursday I'm on the ball!!! I eat right and concentrate on getting my exercise in. But once Friday hits, it's like I'm Dr. Jeckel and Mr Hide!!! I really want to reach my goal and stay focused even on the weekends. MFP do you have any tips or advice for a weekend cheater!!!!

Thanks!:sad:

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Something that helps me is to plan my meals ahead the night before, when I'm not hungry. I plan 3 meals and at least 2 snacks, as well as everything I'll be drinking. Then I don't worry about scrounging for food and coming up with junk because I already know what I'm going to eat.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    augh. I'm in the same boat!!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Stay busy! If you give up on the weekend, it cancels out all your hard work during the week! Make it count on the weekend, too. You will feel so much better come Monday morning! Good luck!
  • MrsKAddy
    MrsKAddy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies!! It's such a struggle and I feel so guilty afterward. I want to loose this weight so that I can be a better healthier me!
  • JennaK
    JennaK Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm soo in the same boat!! :sad:
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I think it is ok to cheat sometimes. I learned in a nutrition class a few years ago you can not deny yourself of everything. If you want ice cream have a few bites, if you want chips have a few. If you just focus on what you can not have, you will find yourself wallowing on the couch with a bottle of chocolate sauce, and an empty gallon of rocky road.

Good luck!
  • trejon
    trejon Posts: 203
    Options
    I eat whatever I want on the weekend but I stay very active when I do. Being active is not just the gym - cleaning house, playing with the children, and all those other chores. Now if I am am doing the power slug thing and not active I watch what I eat. Remember that it takes 3500 calories to make a pound plain and simple.
  • jillMoose
    jillMoose Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Stay busy! If you give up on the weekend, it cancels out all your hard work during the week! Make it count on the weekend, too. You will feel so much better come Monday morning! Good luck!

I agree with this -- I am a terrible weekend cheater- - i throw caution to the wind and i go for that desert and pour myself another glass of wine! ugh. im frustrated but i think this is right - i need to stay busy... once i sit on the couch its all over...
    i blew it this weekend... so now i have to focus on the work week then on to the next weekend with (hopefully) better choices!
  • xxnicxx
    Options
    I just had a bad weekend too, feel like I have undone all my hard work :-(
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    I try to eat decently, but always end up drinking a lot of calories on weekends. I have started getting in 45-50 minutes of cardio right after work on Friday so I have a head start on the weekend. Saturday I try to do some sort of workout, even if it's just cleaning or walking my dog. So I guess I cheat and then just try to balance it out with extra cardio. We can't be good ALL the time! :)
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I totally am too!!! While I have been sick and snowed in, I've been a fatty all last week and have not worked out, and eaten junk... but as a general rule... even when I'm bad on the weekends it helps me if I still log... that way even if I'm bad... I'll see how bad I am, and only have 1 cookie instead of 6 when I see how many calories I'm putting into my mouth :)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    think of some healthy recipes that you can make so you know what you're eating. Spend time with the family doing things that keep you active. Go to the batting cages, roller rink, park, etc. That way at least your outside/inside moving and burning some calories. I find after I work out I really want to eat well. Keep tracking that way you can see how many calories your putting in your bod and might guilt you into eating better. I know I've looked stuff up on calorieking.com and it will tell me that if I eat that I'd have to walk x amount of hours and I'm always like nope, not eating that. :) Good luck.
  • Julesfame
    Julesfame Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The weekends are tough. Figure out where your weaknesses lie on the weekends, i.e. alcohol, eating out. Then address them individually. If it takes time to ween yourself from the weaknesses, so be it. As everyone always says "learning weight loss, exercise and healthy eating habits sometimes is a marathon, not a sprint." Stay focus on your numbers for calories and take it one day at a time. Good luck.
  • chinigal789
    chinigal789 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! I work so hard during the week and on the weekend, when I have less to do, it's hard not to indulge, so i only end up losing 1/2lb a week and i should lose much more than that for the hard work i put in! Lets keep our heads up high and just concentrate on our goal!! I was thinking only one cheat meal a week instead of 2 days of cheating! :D
  • KWSR16
    KWSR16 Posts: 91
    Options
    Oh my gosh you are totally right cat3nv!!! You can't deny yourself everything. Just make sure you dont over do it! Thats my philosophy. You wanna try a bit? Well then try it! But dont eat the whole box of donuts. :)
  • Gennawest
    Options
    I try to plan to eat at a place (because I do a lot of eating out during the weekend) where it has the capability of being healthy. As an example, my husband and I wanted dinner on saturday after a long day- so we went to a location where there was something for him near by and something for me. He got chinese food-- ya know the greasy chow mein, fried orange chicken type mess, and well, I got sushi. We got them to go, ate at home, and totally enjoyed ourselves. For superbowl, I knew that I would be going to a place where soul food was going to be the main course-- bbq ribs, hot links, mac and cheese, corn bread, etc; I decided that I would bring something so I could eat with the party too (and feel like I was part of the glutony), but totally consume less of the bad food then I normally would. I made a shrimp ceviche- which was satisfying for me, but healthy at the same time. I have learned to trick myself- and for me this works.
  • jennifir
    jennifir Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should set your weigh in day on Mondays...I tend to really watch more closely a couple days before weigh in. I've gone through that before. Key is to not deny yourself, but keep it in moderation and within your calorie limit. I learned a long time ago deprivation=failure for me. If you need support I'm here for ya!
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    I have the same problem - you are NOT alone! My willpower (or LACK thereof) and my husband are my enemy on the weekend. This weekend, my husband actually told me that he loves my "spare tire" - - - UGH!! :noway:

I love the tracking on MFP - as horribly as I THOUGHT I did - it really wasn't AS bad as I had thought! Therefore, even tho I made poor choices - I know that PORTION CONTROL is what it is all about. . . :wink:

I agree that if you tell yourself that you can't have something - it is going to make the cravings totally take you over. So have what you want but keep it in moderation! :smile:

The other thing is - MOVE that body!! Stand up and walk in place! Lift your legs while sitting in that chair! SQUAT to pick up those things off the floor! EVERY movement COUNTS!! USE that to your advantage!!:happy:

Good Luck to you!!
  • polrwht07
    Options
    In my experience, you have to have at least a day where you give yourself a break. Don't worry about dieting for one 24 hr. period and just do what you want.

It's just a matter of getting into a pattern. You can't undo an entire week of working out and dieting in one day.
  • melody6387
    Options
    same here...lol! :drinker: ...that 's my problem, but what I have been doing lately on Saturdays is getting up early and getting
    my workouts in. And RED wine has been a substitute for my alcohol.And when I eat I choose the healthiest thing on the menu and 1 appetizer and pack up half of the meal.... I hope this helps.