Insanity vs P90x

Options
My fiance and I want are getting married in September and want to have the extra boost right before the wedding/honeymoon so we look and feel great. I have heard mixed things about both programs. Has anyone tried either of these programs with great success or failure? We arent necessarily looking for a huge weight loss (though i wouldnt complain) but we are looking to get more toned. Let me know your thoughts or if you have tried other programs that you have liked. I want to get as much information as possible before spending the money.

Replies

• SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too - does anyone have input?
  • macarey
    Options
    I have done insanity for the past 2 months. I lost 8 inches in 6 weeks in my waist. I love it!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If it is more for toning P90X, as it incorporates more strength training. Insanity is more high intensity Cadio which burns more fat than P90X.
  • lclarius
    lclarius Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks Eric that was really good analysis. We already do a lot of running, so cardio wise i think we are good. It sounds like p90x is the way to go. I see a pull up bar in my future...
  • tsimehc2000
    tsimehc2000 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm a current user of P90X, however, I started slow with my weight loss. Here is a comment I posted the other day when someone was asking about P90X. I would put Insanity on the same level, because of the intensive nature of the workout.

You are exactly where my wife and I were a little over 6 months ago. We started our weight loss journey by getting used to this site and starting to practice portion control. The first couple of weeks were very hard. We also started doing some low impact exercise first (wii fit, wii EA Active) and that was good for a while. We then looked at P90X, but when we saw the fit test for it we realized we were not physically ready to start P90X. I did some more research at that point and we decided to do a workout called Power 90. That is Tony Horton's first workout he did before creating P90X. My wife and I completed Power 90 at the end of last month and lost a total of 47 pounds between the both of us. We started P90X this week, and while hard (I hate the Yoga part) it is not as overwhelming as it would have been if we started it right away.

The last thing you would want to do is to start an exercise program that may not be at your workout level and then become discouraged with it and quit.

Power 90 can be found on the Beachbody website (same place where P90X is). I'm not a Beachbody trainer and I don't get anything for referring it to you, but I do *highly* recommend that workout for beginners.

I just completed my first week of P90X, and while difficult in some areas it was not overwhelming. If you have the time before your wedding, I would recommend Power 90 first as a way to ease into a more intensive workout.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I want are getting married in September and want to have the extra boost right before the wedding/honeymoon so we look and feel great. I have heard mixed things about both programs. Has anyone tried either of these programs with great success or failure? We arent necessarily looking for a huge weight loss (though i wouldnt complain) but we are looking to get more toned. Let me know your thoughts or if you have tried other programs that you have liked. I want to get as much information as possible before spending the money.

Hey,

Congrats on your pending wedding. My wife and I just celebrated our 11th Anniversary yesterday. Anyway, I have completed both programs and would be more then happy to help you choose the right one. Both P90X and Insanity require a serious commitment. However P90X is 90 days and Insanity is 60 days. Insanity is more cardio based and require no additional equipment. P90X has some cardio in it, but also has resistance training as well. So you will need to purchase a pull-up bar as well as dumbbells or resistance bands.

With all of that said Insanity is the hardest program I have ever done, it will push you further then you thought you could go. I am a Beachbody Coach and I would love to be able to help you choose the right program for you. So if you need my help please let me know.

Hope this helps,
    Stu
  • gtutunjian
    gtutunjian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Consider using a personal trainer (who can train the 2 of you, together at the same time) if you have a fitness center accessible. Some trainers will come to your home and bring whatever gear might be needed, too. (A lot of work can be done with body weight and very little gear.) Note: I'm not a trainer or a gym owner. I'm a desk jockey.

A trainer can push you further than you would normally go on your own (I have experienced and seen.) It helps with commitment when there are distractions from other areas of life, too. I found it made an amazing difference. Trainers don't sell you anything other than training, too.

Good luck whatever your decision is, and any fitness improvement makes a life long difference.
  • Stooooo
    Options
    Consider using a personal trainer (who can train the 2 of you, together at the same time) if you have a fitness center accessible. Some trainers will come to your home and bring whatever gear might be needed, too. (A lot of work can be done with body weight and very little gear.) Note: I'm not a trainer or a gym owner. I'm a desk jockey.

A trainer can push you further than you would normally go on your own (I have experienced and seen.) It helps with commitment when there are distractions from other areas of life, too. I found it made an amazing difference. Trainers don't sell you anything other than training, too.

Good luck whatever your decision is, and any fitness improvement makes a life long difference.

Sure, if you have the money for a gym membership and trainer fees. But what if you don't?
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    I lost 25 lbs and 4 inches off my waist the first time i did P90X. I would recommend that whole heartedly. I did P90X about a year after I started P90X. Loved it too, but if I had to choose I think I'd pick P90X. Ive finished it 3 times, then did P90X+. Insanity is a great program to, I think youll get better results with the X.
  • Jess0218
    Jess0218 Posts: 138
    Options
    I have used both. Like them both. but Insanity is my personal Fav. P90x is good and I do a few of the dvds still for strength training only, but the guys voice personally gets on my nerves. haha As for Insanity, every dvd is great, I love it, Shaun T motivates me and I get a great burn each time. You use your own body weight for strength training. I like the fact that I dont need weights and equipment that is pricey like you do for P90x.

Either way, if you have weight to lose I'd day go for Insanity if you want something that is a great intense burn. As you start you build stamina and maybe at first you have to take a little longer water breaks than what he gives but you will build up your strength :)

Good Luck to yous! Happy "getting ready for your Wedding" time:flowerforyou:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I haven't done P90x yet but from what I've heard that is alot more strength based and so seems the best option for getting in shape/toned once you've already lost most of the weight. Insanity is alot more cardio based and so probably best for losing weight and fat%. Although Insanity does do strength stuff too a bit, just with body weight instead of equipment, mainly things around push ups.
  • xavierjohn05
    xavierjohn05 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've done both and both are very good programs (if you stick with them). Insantiy is a very high impact cardio routine (I didn't make it through the entire program because I have a bad knee and the pounding caused too much pain), whereas P90x is an overall workout (cardio, strength training, and yoga). Insanity requires only time and your body to do the workout where P90x requires either bands or dumbbells, and a pull up bar.

Like I said both are good programs and will help tone you, it just depends on the pace you want to go. p90x is slower paced and Tony Horton (the guy in charge), is all about telling you to do what you can and being the 'nice guy' trainer, insanity is completely different. Shaun T motivates you, but the workout reminds me of how hard wrestling practice used to be where after the warm up you are tired and after the 45 minute workout you are dead tired.
  • Randallw25
    Options
    There both great programs, I am in my second day of P90X, it is a lot more strength training and requires weights and equipment. Insanity is Cardio based but will build strength as well. It needs no equipment just you and your time. My wife is curently doing turbofire which she loves. It is High intensty cardio with sculpting and toning. If you want to tone up, i would suggest that or Charlean extream. But any of these programs will help you get what you want. If you choose p90x will wil just have to modify so that you tone rather than build bulky muscle. Good luck and Congrats,
  • lclarius
    lclarius Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There both great programs, I am in my second day of P90X, it is a lot more strength training and requires weights and equipment. Insanity is Cardio based but will build strength as well. It needs no equipment just you and your time. My wife is curently doing turbofire which she loves. It is High intensty cardio with sculpting and toning. If you want to tone up, i would suggest that or Charlean extream. But any of these programs will help you get what you want. If you choose p90x will wil just have to modify so that you tone rather than build bulky muscle. Good luck and Congrats,

Oh geeze there 2 more programs?! Randal your killing me haha. Well it sounds like any of those programs will give me the results i need, I guess i'll wait and see which one goes on sale :)
  • Stooooo
    Options

Oh geeze there 2 more programs?! Randal your killing me haha. Well it sounds like any of those programs will give me the results i need, I guess i'll wait and see which one goes on sale :)

Unfortunately they are all the same price and rarely go on sale. LOL Although ChaLEAN Extreme was just on sale in January, so you never know.
  • Randallw25
    Options
    Yeah they typically don't go on sale though the have great ones for lesser price, But they did have charlene Extreme on sale last month so you never know. But stick with one and work your way up or through them. Just decide which one suits you best.