Hi! i'm new to my fitness pal! Needing encouragement and som

Options
HI there! My name is Alison, i'm 24 and trying to change my eating habbits and ways. I need to get healthy for so many reasons and wanted to give this a try. Today is DAY 1. I already this morning drank 6 cups of water and need some ideas of how you guys manage to get in your 8 cups. Whats the best method? I also look forward to meeting people and maybe we can encourage each other! =)

Replies

• Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You can add me. Extra encouragement is always a good thing.

To get all my water in, I keep a water bottle with me all the time, and try to empty and refill it regularly. Sometimes I use thise little Crystal Light drink mix packets to help it go down a little smoother.
  • farmerswife87
    Options
    Crystal light! It's the only was I can down 8 cups in one day! Get the individual packets, and mix into 2 cups of water! Be careful of the pomegranate and raspberry flavors, they stain your teeth---
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Hi Alison. I get my water by carrying around an 18 oz bottle with me every where. To work, the gym, the gorcery store. I keep a tally on my scrach pad at work. Depending on how much you weigh you may need more than 8 cups. Rememeber a cup is 8oz. I currently weight 230 and I try to get 10 cups on days I don't evercise nad 14 on days I do. If you don't like the taste try the crystal lite 5cal flavorign packets.

Best of luck to you.
  • xonashwaox
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!
  • flukes9
    flukes9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to drink that much per day, but it's a guideline. Not everybody needs that much, since some of the liquid comes from the food you eat (fruits, soup, etc.) When I am able to drink 8 glasses, I'm miserably using the restroom several times an hour, so I just make sure to at least get 5 a day and sometimes more if my body needs it (after exercise, hot outside, etc.) Good luck and you've come to the right place for support! I just joined a month ago and love it. I never miss a day of logging in...I actually look forward to keeping track of my diet/exercise.
  • mtate914
    Options
    Welcome to the group. This is the best place to get the encouragement and support that we all need.
  • Kristina954
    Options
    Welcome... You will love this tool. It really makes a difference to calculate all your calories. As of the water, I like my water cold with a tiny bit of ice. So I put a couple bottles in the freezer until they get a little icy and put them in the fridge. This way when I grab one its ready to go and I can drink it easily.
  • Callyson318
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the water advice. I'm trying to be a bit better at planning my meals to eat. Any suggestions about what you buy from the store and good healthy snacks? I'm learning to read labels and really do portion control so any help would be greatly appreciated. =)
  • gunny34
    Options
    I love Skippy natrual peanut butter and Smuckers sugarless strawberry jelly and 35 calories a slice bread. It is a great way to feel full on a little bit. It's my favorite these days. It's my "ON THE GO" pick. For breakfast I do the oatmeal w/ cut up fruit like apples or blueberries and some dried fruit for flavor and add just a little but of lite maple syrup for sweetness... talk about filling for breakfast and its easy to throw together when I'm in a hurry. A 1/2 c. of oats goes a long way, plus calorie per serving is around 110. Not bad. :O)
  • flukes9
    flukes9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Here are my favorite snacks and other healthy foods: red bell peppers with a tiny amount of lite ranch dressing, trader joe's simply trek mix (cashews, almonds, dried cranberries), banana w/peanut butter, Knudsen cottage cheese doubles, blueberries/raspberries with sprinkle of cinnamon, baby carrots with hummus, skinless boneless chicken breast with BBQ sauce, clementine tangerines, trader joe's bambino pizza.