Can someone explain interval training...

Options
Hi folks,

I've been on MFP for 20 days now and am doing fairly well with daily cardio routines. I want to mix it up with something else and noticed this phrase called interval training. What does that mean exactly?

thanks!
t

Replies

• Marshmelly
    Marshmelly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    From my understanding (perhaps someone else can better define it), it means alternating a more challenging exercise with an easier one. For example, I do intervals on the treadmill by running at 6.0mph (which is difficult for me) for 4 minutes, and then slowing it down to walking at 4.0 mph for 3 mins, and then repeating that a few times. I believe you can do this with any type of workout...if you strength train, alternate a very challenging move with one that is less challenging. Its supposed to be more effective than just doing the same thing over and over. Hope that helps!
  • roebuck1908
    Options
    Yes you do 1-2 mins walking/cycling on tread mill or bike then increase to a rate when you feel slightly out of breath for 1 min then repeat as many times as you wish. 4 mins at one speed is to long the idea is to keep the pace going
  • xavierjohn05
    xavierjohn05 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Interval training is when you mix in intense intervals of working out during your normal workout. An easy example is like if you are out jogging and then every 3 minutes you sprint for 30 seconds, then go back to your normal jog. This will change up your workout enough to where the experts say that it will help you burn more calories.
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Interval training is exercise that involves "bursts of high intensity work" followed by periods of low to moderate activity or rest, hence the name "intervals".

It is usually thought of as the most effective way to work out due to the fact that it can result in the same amount of fat loss as traditional training, but for a shorter duration.

For example:

While running/jogging, you may sprint to 7 mph for a minute, then drop your speed to 5 mph for 2 minutes, alternating these intervals.

Interval training with weights is sometimes called Circuit Interval Training. Any kind of weight training boosts fat loss, bust through plateaus and keep motivation strong.

For example:

1 set of 10-20 reps of Chest Press followed by 60 - 90 seconds of rest. (The amount of time you rest during strength training is key, for if your rest is too long, you lose your pump, but if your rest is too short, you tire too quickly.)

I hope this helped!
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much folks! That makes sense....and sounds easy enough to incorporate!

t
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I use elptical and they have interval program on that machine it does 2 mins at level 1 and then goes to level 8 for 2 mins for the whole 30 minute workout and it burns about 400 calories or so for me :)
  • fatjaws
    Options
    I have a great interval workout:

5 mins of speed walking at 1% incline at 4mph

10 mins of speed walking at 4mph increasing the inclice 1% every minute (until you get to 10%)

3 mins of walking at 3.7 mph

4 mins of speed walking at 4.3 at 13% incline

3 mins of walking at 3.7 mph

3 mins running at 5.5

2 mins walking 3.9

3 mins running at 5.5

2 mins walking 3.9

3 mins walking 4.3

2 mins walking 3.7

5 mins cool down at 3.5

I usually follow up with 15-20 of elliptical. You'll feel great but don't forget to stretch!