Any fiber experts?

Options
Ok, so we're all grown ups here, or at least close to it, so I'm asking a kind of sensitive question and hopefully i won't get made fun of too bad :)

i've been dieting for two weeks today. I eat tons of fruits and veggies daily, and I eat anywhere between 30 to sometimes even over 50 grams of fiber a day. if i'm below my fiber goal, i usually take a few benefiber tablets, but i still seem to have a problem "going" regularly. I never really paid any attention before, but i'm starting to now...and it's every THREE DAYS for the 2 weeks that i've been keeping track! :( i don't physically feel weird or sick or anything, but i know that can't be normal and it can't be helping the weight loss process.

i just bought fiber one cereal and activia yogurt...and even...ready for this?? PRUNES!! eww. so i'll start having some of that stuff and see how everything goes. pun intended lol

is this just my body getting used to eating healthy? is too much fiber bad? am i going to have to eat prunes for the rest of my LIFE???? HELP!!!

Replies

• petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know, too...
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    In the same boat as you - would love to hear responses. I upped my fiber to 30 grams and I have been going more regularly than before (used to be just 1-2 a week or so, now every 2-3 days)... didn't try prunes or activia just yet... lol
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    How come you dont log how much water you drink? I really believe if you arent drinking extra water along with the fiber it gives an opposite effect. My personal opinion. How many ounces of water do you drink?
  • fightingdissonance
    Options
    Are you drinking a lot of water with the fiber when you're taking it? It needs a lot of water to digest and erm, pass properly. And from the researching I've done into how much fiber was getting factored into my diet, most of the things I came across said more than about 40 grams of fiber daily was simply too much, depending on the person of course. Maybe try keeping it to 30-35 grams and see if that gets things running smoothly?
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am not sure but it could be that you are getting TOO MUCH fiber. Another thing that happens is if you are eating less and exercising more...Then that means that there might be less to get rid of. I noticed a big change when I started eating normal portions and exercising more...
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I, too, have a fibre problem but have upped it since being on here. Keeping forgetting to drink water tho' :drinker: Definitely need something to flush me out :laugh:
  • DanL66712
    Options
    Everybody is different. What is regular for one person, will be too frequent or not enough for another. I, for example, feel bloated and horrible if I don't go twice a day! And that's when I'm actually having a good eating day, as opposed to today (damn you Krispy Kreme!!). If you smoke, that will always help get things moving...possibly not a good reason to start mind you!!

Oh, just to raise the immaturity levels...POO!! hehe
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah and WATER WATER WATER
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Different people have different "normals" in this regard. As long as you are going on somewhat of a regular schedule, and you aren't needing to strain to go, you're probably OK.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i raised my fiber goal to 35 grams, it was something in the 20's before.

and i drink LOTS of water, i have a 24oz bottle that i refill and go through at LEAST 4 times a day. i don't log the water, i probably should, but i do drink a lot :)
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I had surgery about 2 weeks ago....and had the same problem of not being able "to go"..........I know prunes do not taste good.....but if you will drink 8oz glass of prune juice....it will do the trick. I have had this same problem since I have started my food changes........

Here is the trick...prunes juice is kind of thick......and is sweet but not very good......so I take my 8oz glass and drink it really fast through a straw.......drinking it through the straw......do it fast...and you will not taste much of the juice and it will not coat your mouth.......

If I haven't gone in two days....I drink the prune juice and by that afternoon or the next morning.....I am going..........LOL!!!
    Hope this helps!!!!
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem... I was never regular... I am doing a cleanse right now which is definetly helping, you may want to think about doing one...
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I would go see a doctor especially if you drink 100 ounces of water a day.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too, I think it's a side effect of a medication I am taking. I was eating prunes, but to honest I could only eat so many of them and I didn't notice any help anyways.
    I eat plenty of fiber and drink tons of water. Because of the dependency side effects I try very hard to avoid stimulant laxatives but will use them if I am REALLY backed up. I also have a stool softener I take on occasion. It's to the point I am thinking of telling my doc to take me off my meds to see if that helps. It's rather uncomfortable to go to aerobics class and feel so bloated.
    I will be watching this thread because next on my list of things to try is Metamucil, and I have not heard good things about the taste....:-(
  • SherryJDI
    Options
    I have this same problem as you, I can drink all the water in the world,eat all the fiber and I still don't go everyday... but again I have never really gone regular... I watched a Dr. Oz show about not going regular and he said to take oregon Grape Root so I ordered it and I still didn't go every day... I then added a wal-mart brand fiber pill and I still did't go everyday... I then went back to Dr. Oz's website and reseached it and he also said to take Magnesium Citrate powder...I mix it with water and I go regular now...

Maybe this will help...

Sherry
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    am I the only one that LOVES prunes? I think they are super yummy!!!
  • mayburcm
    Options
    Eeek. I eat a diet really high in fiber, but it isn't something you want to do all at once if you weren't used to it before. Drink lots and lots of fluids and look at what types of fiber you're taking in. Read up on soluble vs. insoluble and make sure you're getting both kinds.
    Every morning I have a tablespoon of psyllium husk (I drink it before it congeals and I find it just tastes like a lot of pulp) in half a cup of orange juice which I find helps me not feel so hungry throughout the day. Eating fiber is all about finding the right balance, but eating too much of it without drinking enough water will cause a lot of discomfort. I can't imagine how uncomfortable people must be only going like 2 or 3 times a week.
  • azmomof2
    azmomof2 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Ok, so we're all grown ups here, or at least close to it, so I'm asking a kind of sensitive question and hopefully i won't get made fun of too bad :)

i've been dieting for two weeks today. I eat tons of fruits and veggies daily, and I eat anywhere between 30 to sometimes even over 50 grams of fiber a day. if i'm below my fiber goal, i usually take a few benefiber tablets, but i still seem to have a problem "going" regularly. I never really paid any attention before, but i'm starting to now...and it's every THREE DAYS for the 2 weeks that i've been keeping track! :( i don't physically feel weird or sick or anything, but i know that can't be normal and it can't be helping the weight loss process.

i just bought fiber one cereal and activia yogurt...and even...ready for this?? PRUNES!! eww. so i'll start having some of that stuff and see how everything goes. pun intended lol

is this just my body getting used to eating healthy? is too much fiber bad? am i going to have to eat prunes for the rest of my LIFE???? HELP!!!

I think one thing many are missing is the fact that you stated you don't physically feel weird or sick. Also you mentioned you have tracked it for 2wks and regularly go every 3 days right? That would tell me that for you that is normal. It may have changed since you eat healthier now but everyone's digestive system is different in that area and the healthier you eat the more your body is able to take away from that and use it and the less waste your body will put out. If you aren't feeling constipated, bloated, sharp pains or any of that then just go with it honestly! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • azmomof2
    azmomof2 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    am I the only one that LOVES prunes? I think they are super yummy!!!

No haha I don't think you are the only one but I like them I don't looove them :laugh:
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    When you initially increase your fiber which increasing fiber you are supposed to do GRADUALLY otherwise till your body can adapt you will have the reverse effects. Which in your case seems to be happening also associated with bloating or abdominal discomfort.