What Is Your Resting Heart Rate?

BigBoneSista
BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm just interested to know how many people know theirs since many of us have heart rate monitors. I think its a good thing to know regardless because during exercise you should know your target heart rate and check your beats per minute. In order to know your accurate target heart rate you must know your resting heart rate. Now there are heart rate tools online that will give you a generalize area where you should be without the resting heart rate but its not as accurate.

The average resting heart for males is 70 and for females its 75 beats per minute. If you are really active and in shape your resting rate tends to be a little lower. It can be as low at 40 beats per minute for someone who is a really conditioned athlete.

My resting heart rate is 51.

Whats yours?

http://www.fitlinxx.com/resources/tools/targethr.asp?m=321

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    My resting heart rate seems to be higher than average, usually in the 80s. I don't understand it because I'm not overweight anymore and I exercise including cardio five days a week. I stopped smoking over a year ago and my blood pressure is 100/70.
    Last time I went to my PCP they counted my pulse as being 90. WTF? Am I going to have a heart attack at the ripe ol' age of 31?
    My PCP hasnt' said anything to me about it at all, so maybe I'm overreacting?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    usually between 46 and 50.
  • lrns88
    lrns88 Posts: 151 Member
    Mine's 48-50, but I'm not an athlete! My dad has a low heart rate too (low 40s at resting!) so I think mine is to do with genetics.....
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Mine's usually about 60.
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Mine usually 50
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    My resting heart rate is between 40-50. Mine also is due to genetics. I believe it is called bradycardia.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    My resting heart rate seems to be higher than average, usually in the 80s. I don't understand it because I'm not overweight anymore and I exercise including cardio five days a week. I stopped smoking over a year ago and my blood pressure is 100/70.
    Last time I went to my PCP they counted my pulse as being 90. WTF? Am I going to have a heart attack at the ripe ol' age of 31?
    My PCP hasnt' said anything to me about it at all, so maybe I'm overreacting?

Test it yourself when you wake up in the morning. When you open your eyes just lay there for a minute and then do your count. Make sure you just prepare for it the night before by having a watch or clock within eyesight or on your wrist with a seconds hand. By the time you get to the doctors office you have already begun to deal with day to day stress so you aren't fully rested. Even minor stress like driving raises the heart rate and we don't even realize it.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Thanks, I'll try that!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Mine was 71 just now. My heart rate does go up pretty quickly though - by the time I get to gym, get stuff stashed, ipod set, on the machine it is usually around 100. It was slower to go to max yesterday though than usual and even though it doesn't drop immediately when I stop intense exercise, I can get it back down to low zone within a few minuts.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Mines usually around 68
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Mine was calculated at 78 last month. But we did it in the afternoon, after I sat for 10 minutes... so that's bound to be off. I know you're supposed to do it as soon as you wake up in the morning.

Shannon
  • My resting Heart rate is 48. This was measured using a Polar RS400 Heart rate monitor.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Sitting at my desk eating lunch
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Mine's listed on my signature. 52 :)
  • HayesSanborn
    HayesSanborn Posts: 34 Member
    39-42 is the normal range. Coming off big training days, I've seen 46-48 the following morning if I'm not recovered.
  • Mine is @ current 68
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Usually around 45.
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Mine's high...always around 80.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    45-48
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Wow I'm impressed with everybody's low resting heart rates. Looks like we've got some serious athletes here. Mine is 58. Just started tracking it recently.
This discussion has been closed.