Yoga??

Options
So I've had a pretty stressful couple of weeks...bad break-up, mom had major surgery, trip to the Bahamas was canceled (stupid snow!)...let's just say, my weight has probably gone up a few pounds. I do a few different workouts on the Wii Fit, Zumba and Jillian Micheals. I also go to bootcamp once a week, but its been put on hold due to the terrible winter Boston is having. I need something else to do to clear my mind and also get me in shape. I was thinking of trying yoga, but noticed its a little on the pricey side. Does anyone do yoga or have any insight about it? Does it work? I want to make sure its worth the money before I commit.

Thanks all!

<3 D.

Replies

• Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great! I just started doing it recently. I got a beginners DVD. I really like it. You definitely feel it the next day and it's not as "fast paced" as other workouts, but you still can feel the burn. I'd give it a try.
    Sorry to hear about all that's going on in your lfe, but better days are ahead! As the saying goes..."this too shall pass".
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You might also consider Pilates. I have a few Jennifer Kries videos and I love her. Strengthening your core can be quite effective. Good luck and I hope things look up for you soon :flowerforyou:
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I just started Yoga classes at my gym. Definitely a step out of my comfort zone! While I haven't felt the whole "zen body-mind connection" yet as it is still more about the physical challenge at this point, it feels good. I think it a great addition to my regular cardio and strength training routine. Moving muscles in a whole different way...

It very well could help with some of your life's current stresses....hope so. Good luck!
  • MTLumps
    MTLumps Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I got the Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga about 6 weeks ago and I LOVE it. It isn't the crazy fast-paced cardio but I feel so good when I finish a workout and you don't need anything but your own body and the living room floor. It helps me with stressful days so I think you'd like it. Sorry about the craziness in your world currently - it certainly will pass but I know getting through it can be painful. Hang in there!! :flowerforyou:
  • richars65
    richars65 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've found yoga to be an amazing experience. I've been at it for about a year and really enjoy my practice. It's a wonderful blend of exercise, mindfulness, and meditation. My favorite aspect is that no matter where your skills are, you can constantly see little improvements as you move along. It is NOT an instant weight-loss exercise; you won't watch the lbs melt away as you do from other aerobic exercises.

It is fantastic for strength training and toning. It's been really fun to watch my strength and flexibility improve. It's also a great way to wind down a week. I like to supplement with more strenuous aerobic stuff. It can be expensive but it's worth every penny, in my opinion. Namaste.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I actually decided this past week to add yoga into my regular routine. I have been wanting to do it for awhile, and I took a class this summer and loved it. I consider myself to be in great shape, but I hurt in places I didn't even know I had muscles. It is great for flexbility and strength, and it is MUCH harder than it looks!

Now I just need to find an @ home yoga DVD...planning on checking out the library to see what they have and go from there.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    There's a great website called www.yogaglo.com
    They offer a ton of different types of yoga in a ton of different levels and durations. It's about $18 a month and you can do a free 15-day trial to see if it works for you.

I joined in December and I do yoga betwe3n 2-3 hours a week...with my practices ranging from 30-60 minutes. I've noticed a huge difference in my core strength, not to mention my arms and shoulders are getting much more buff. It's worth a check out...
  • WanabeHotMama
    WanabeHotMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love Namaste yoga! It can be found on Fit TV or another similar channel, I would check to see if you get it in your area. I absolutely recommend it and its so weird how it can be incredibly relaxing while giving you cardio and strength training all in one half hour! I was even sweating when I was finished! I record it on my DVR and do it when I have time :)
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    I've found yoga to be an amazing experience. I've been at it for about a year and really enjoy my practice. It's a wonderful blend of exercise, mindfulness, and meditation. My favorite aspect is that no matter where your skills are, you can constantly see little improvements as you move along. It is NOT an instant weight-loss exercise; you won't watch the lbs melt away as you do from other aerobic exercises.

It is fantastic for strength training and toning. It's been really fun to watch my strength and flexibility improve. It's also a great way to wind down a week. I like to supplement with more strenuous aerobic stuff. It can be expensive but it's worth every penny, in my opinion. Namaste.

couldnt say it better! :)
    oh, and sorry to hear about the stuff thats been going on lately, but better things are ahead! :)
  • sixpackgoal
    Options
    Yoga kicked my as the first few times. I am a little better now. Yoga X from P90X is prettty hard if you put in an all out effort.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Namaste Yoga is great too...and it's so cool to watch the 3 "models" doing the poses totally in synch.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love Namaste yoga! It can be found on Fit TV or another similar channel, I would check to see if you get it in your area. I absolutely recommend it and its so weird how it can be incredibly relaxing while giving you cardio and strength training all in one half hour! I was even sweating when I was finished! I record it on my DVR and do it when I have time :)

I do the exact same thing!!! I love it! I am always amazed at how it getsmy heart pounding and I can feel it in my core after a workout! I love that I can record it and fast forward through the comercials! I have 4 recorded right now and I just course through them! Do you know what Kind of yoga that is considered?
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you have a Wii Fit you have yoga! I loved doing it on there its always so awesome, there is also some yoga available on hulu.com for free, I'm sure you can find it if you just type in Yoga to the search (theres power yoga and a regular series of yoga). If you have cable its possible you have ExerciseTV/FitTv and they have yoga along with lots of other workout shows.
  • bka8
    bka8 Posts: 92
    Options
    I know yoga can be expensive...but I really recommend a few in person classes towards the beginning so you can get the tips and support to know you're doing the positions right. I was lucky that they offered it through my gym and I had an AMAZING instructor. I feel like going into videos without any prior instructions might leave you a little...underwhelmed? But then and again, yoga is awesome, go for it in anyway you can!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I've done yoga for 11 years and have taught for 5 years.

This is what I can say:
    1. The exercise part of yoga will not help you lose much weight - but anything you are willing to stick with is better than something you are not willing to stick with.
    2. It will make you stronger than you thought possible and more flexible. It will improve your balance, concentration, and sleep. Most people will improve their eating habits when they practice yoga on a regular basis.
    3. If you want to exercise, do a video. If you want anything else more, you have to find a teacher you like. There is an entirely different dynamic in a classroom than at home. There are many different styles, find one that fits you. If you need help, message me, tell me what you are looking for and I can point you to a style that may fit.
    4. It is my favorite thing to do. I'd rather go to a great yoga class, than go to a great restaurant. My vacations are now planned around yoga workshops. It can change your life.

Best of luck.