Looking for runners who also lift weights.....

sixpackgoal
sixpackgoal Posts: 146
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I recently added strength training to my running. My main concern was I did not want to become weak and skinny because I want to look more lean and strong. Please feel to friend me as I need motivation from people who are doing it already.
Kinda need guidance on nutrition needs of runner who also lifts. Thanks kindly in advance for any help/suggestions,

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    I alternate weight lifting and running every other day. Friend request sent....

edit: fixed typo
  • janeblackbeard
    janeblackbeard Posts: 3 Member
    I run, cycle and lift weights.. it's a wonderful way to strenghten up. In addition to this I take creatine.. but beware it makes you retain water and ups your weight!

Don't forget to train your legs, maybe train at the beginning of the week to offset your running schedule. Diet wise, I can't really comment I eat clean. Good source of crabs is Quinoa but a bit tasteless, brown rice. I carb up before weigh sessions in the week with a bowl of porridge a couple of hours before my work out.

Since weight training and creatine I have picked up my pace, ever so slightly but it is making a difference. Good luck!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    As far as nutrition, when you start lifting, you might consider shifting your diet to 40/40/20 protein/carb/fat.

After lifting weights, take in a meal with both carbs and protein within an hour after the last weight hits the floor - the sooner the better. This is the time when your body is ready to suck it up like a sponge.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Carbs for running and protein for weight trainin. Just try and keep it balanced and clean/lean.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    I run 4x a week, lift twice, spin once, and yoga once (after long runs). For my lifting, I rotate through the p90x strength routines. They focus on specific muscle groups and it isn't too heavy on legs (maybe once every 2 weeks) which allows me to keep up my running plan. I usually lift on M and F, Run easy on T and Th, Spin on Wed, then Tempo and Golf on Sat with the week ending on Sun with a Long Run and Yoga. This has worked great for increasing my running speed and strength.

For nutrition, I just make sure I get enough protein (at least 60 g for me works well). My nutrition break down is 50% carbs, 35% protein, and 15% fats. I watch my sodium and only use energy supplements (Cliff Shot Block Chews) on Long Runs. For protein I will finish all work outs with a shake (Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard in Extreme Chocolate Milk). Since adding these post-work out i've definitely seen more definition in my arms!

Best of luck!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Hi hun,
    we're already friends so will mail you later if you like. Agree with the post on the 40.40.20 split regarding protein. That's what my settings are amended to.
    Laters.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Hi hun,
    we're already friends so will mail you later if you like. Agree with the post on the 40.40.20 split regarding protein. That's what my settings are amended to.
    Laters.
This discussion has been closed.