New to the EXERCISE world...need some advice

emiann1985
emiann1985 Posts: 15
edited September 23 in Motivation and Support
I am new to the exercise world and need some help from you all. I have the diet and healthy eating down pat, but I'm lacking on the work-outs. I have no clue what type of exercises to do and for how long. If anyone can recommend a good web site, DVD, or personal tips you have, I would greatly appreciate the information.

I am also looking for friends on here to keep me motivated and do the same to you, so add me as a friend, and I will do what I can....Thanks for reading my post!!! Good luck to you!

Replies

• Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    hi there, there are loads of different types of workouts out there, but im currently doing wii fit free step, rythem boxing on wii, swimming 2/3 times per wk, yoga on a mon nite and zumba on a tues nite
  • I have been doing a little research and this is what I have found out so far.You need to figure out how much weight you want to loose then tailor a regime to you.
    First and foremost, you need at least 45 min of cardio evryday and at least 3 days/week of strenght training .I have P90X and TAe bo.In my opinion , Tae Bo provides excellent cardio.So am doing it Mon-Sat for 1 hr .Then i stay on schedule with P90x on Mon .Wed and Friday.
    I hope this helps .You dont have to spend all the money on P90X.
    I just started , so hopefully, this helps .
  • ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    It really depends on what you're looking for, there's a vast amount of information out there.
    If I could come up with a few quick tips they'd be as follows:
    Walk - you already know how to do it, its fun, low impact and superb for fat burning. If you can, walk to work, even if it means leaving an hour earlier.
    Don't run - by this I mean if you haven't run or jogged in a long time (or ever) dont just go out and do it, build up slowly, walks first, then mix in short burst of running(1 minute at a time) and slowly build on this.
    Swim, swimming is awesome.
    Lift weights - go to the gym, get a program and lift weights under supervision- it won't turn you into Arnie(unless that's what you want), but will work the big muscle groups giving you tone, strength, fat burning - all the good things.

Some good advice here - http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html

Good luck, I've added you as a friend so now you're accountable ;)
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    If you are TOTALLY new to exercising you are going to want to start out slow... or you will be hurting soooo bad that you won't be able to move for days and will give up... if you are new to it, ease yourself into it... you should be getting at least 30 minutes of aerobic activity in per week. What do you like to do? because that will largely determine if you stick with it or not... my suggestion would be to try brisk walking with a friend, stationary biking while watching tv or skating (which can burn as many calories as running but actually gives you better muslce tone :) You should be moving at a pace that you are breathing fairly heavy, and it is hard for you to finish a long sentence without needing more breath in between, but not so hard that you are GASPING for breath... after you have been doing this for a while, add in a weight routine... If you piggy back your weight routine on top of your cardio it is like getting double cardio... and after you start weight training you want to work opposing muscle groups... you will want to either change up or increase intenity on your work outs every 4-6 weeks :) and don't forget to stretch before and after, breathe and drink lots of water :) Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.